• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

All dogs to be microchipped

Mandatory microchipping laws started years ago in one state of Australia, then over the years has gradually spread to other states around Australia. Prior to mandatory microchipping there was a voluntary stage.

Where I am by the Law the breeder must microchip every pup before selling or giving away the pups, a form is filled in by the breeder plus also by the veterinarian or authorised implanter and then that form is sent to Central Animal Records.

When someone purchases a pup, another form is filled in by the breeder, that form is then handed to the puppy purchaser where the purchaser must fill in the rest of that form then send it to Central Animal Records this to transfer ownership. If the puppy purchaser does not fill in the form and send it in, Central Animal Records will still have the breeder listed as the owner. In the case of a lost form the puppy purchaser would have to contact the breeder and request them to send another form.

In Australia Local Government Councils implemented local by-laws that require owners to supply microchip details for all new registrations/licenses.

Authorised Inspectors have door knocked throughout my area checking registrations/licenses and for various permits where required, and yes they do have microchip scanners.

Dog wardens report that many people still just open the door and let the dog out for the day.
That's all too common unfortunately.
Microchipping has been mandatory here for almost four years in order to register your pups with the Irish kennel Club.A lot of breeders decided to forego the membership and just breed unregistered pups instead.(price difference isn't very much anyway).This looks like a much better solution and might make people think before they buy a dog,especially if they're responsible for all the dog's actions.
Sins

Talking about dogs going out and another form of identification, here is something that was in the news over my way and from this link address.
http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,22049,24412571-5012895,00.html

Daily Telegraph.
September 28, 2008.
DNA test for dogs poo-dunnit.
By Yoni Bashan.

COUNCILS want to DNA-test dog droppings, so they can track down owners who refuse to pick up after their pets and send them a fine.

The hardline approach, being trialled overseas, has won support from councillors in Sydney, North Sydney, Woollahra, Waverley and Ashfield.

Genetic Technologies, Australia's largest canine testing laboratory, wants to implement the DNA testing scheme and is preparing detailed submissions for councils.

It works like this: dogs would be given a mouth-swab while they're being microchipped at the vet and their DNA stored on a database.

Council rangers would collect droppings and send samples for testing to find a database match. Owners would then receive a fine notice for failing to clean up after their dogs.

Ashfield Councillor Nick Adams says dog droppings are an "enormous problem'' and has vowed to get the ball rolling on a feasibility study.

"I support this idea and would welcome any initiative that protects the health of my residents and helps clean up the area,'' he said.

A DNA-testing program is being trialled in Israel, with a reward system for pet-owners who scoop up their dog's mess and place it in specially marked bins.

Genetic Technologies, which also does crime-scene analysis for NSW police, has set up a DNA database for Melbourne's Port Phillip Council to solve dog attacks on residents and pets.

Testing director Ian Smith said DNA tests on dog droppings could be easily implemented in NSW at minimal cost.

"DNA profiling is getting cheaper and cheaper,'' he said. "The program will raise public awareness of the problem and the fine revenue should offset the start-up of the program.''

New Woollahra Mayor Andrew Petrie said he'd support the strategy, provided it met certain criteria.

"If it wasn't an invasion of people's privacy and, legally, you could do it, then I'd be very interested to hear more on the matter,'' he said.

North Sydney Council, where dog-fouling penalties cost up to $550, is also getting behind the plans.

"I think it's a pretty good idea,'' Councillor Veronique Marchandeau said.

"It will happen here, as long as it's cost-effective. It's one of the many tools councils can use.''

Sydney City Labor councillor Meredith Burgmann said the idea should be considered, as did Liberal councillor Shayne Mallard.

"There is a minority of pet owners who aren't responsible and damage the reputation of all pet-owners,'' he said.

North Sydney dog-owner Alex McNee had mixed feelings: "I think it's a bit heavy-handed, but I'd rather they did that than shut down dog parks. You can't take dogs to beaches any more, so the parks are all we've got.''

Back