• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Bran

Tania

Dougall had a squidgy tummy tonight. His diet has not changed. Recenty I have been adding bran to their food to try and help with the anal gland problem. Could it be I am giving them too much bran, what is the correct amount and which make is the most suitable. Their basic diet is ground vegetables and raw chicken wing.

We've found that adding bran can cause more problems than it solves! Kizzy seems sensitive to wheat (bran), but since switching her over to Orijen we've had no problems of that sort!

I would not think you could possibly need bran given that you are feeding chicken wings and there's plenty of fibre in vegetables as well :). Bran is also a grain and can cause problems for some dogs -- agree with the above that it can cause problems. Generally you'd use a very small amount like a teaspoon or two max. But I'd not be feeding it with that diet. I think it might make sense for you to simply have their glands expressed regularly as it sounds like you may have a dog prone to anal gland problems. Some have very small openings especially smaller-sized cavaliers, according to my vet.

Back