• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Pet Expo 2009 - doggies foor demos

TKC

Hi All,

If you have been to DTI and your dog has a good level of obedience and can maybe do some agility, has good enough recall etc plus you would like to be part of some of our demo's at the Pet Expo this year then please email [email protected] with your details and if you are available for 9th, 10th and 11th October.

The only cost to you would be the ticket entry on the day or each day if you want to do all 3 but we are working on that and we usually have great fun and it would be great for your doggies.

We will have some agility, K9 games (relay race, musical chairs etc) and if your dog does tricks we can enter you into the Xfactor on stage where your dog will have to demo 3 tricks to 3 judges ... oh the nerves of it!

Anyway let us know if you are interested by emailing [email protected]

Trying to promote the cavvies and show that kind training works wonders! Get the Puppia's out :)

Thanks,
Tara

Our Daisy completed level 1 obedience, bless her! She loved it!
Dont know if shed be a good demo, gets to excited ha! :)

I could do the Friday or Sunday. Bella is doing the tricks class at the moment and loving it :). I can't guarantee how obedient she will be with so many people around her to say hello to and lick :-D

I could do the Friday or Sunday. Bella is doing the tricks class at the moment and loving it :). I can't guarantee how obedient she will be with so many people around her to say hello to and lick :-D

I bet Bella is great at doing tricks :grin: she is a natural born entertainer :lotsaluv:

hello

did any one here get to pet expo...
i heard there was a cavalier stand...
any feedback,,
john

I didn't see a Cavalier Stand but I was only there the Sunday. Maybe at the breeders area for a day or so but I didn't see one and no one said anything about one to me. It would have been at the breeders stands if there was one.

we were so busy running all around that we could have missed it.

Wonder if anyone asked the CKCS Club why they don't encourage cardiac testing and health testing generally? :rolleyes: Very behind the international approach. Don't know a single Irish breeder who properly health tests as of yet.

Actually.

Actually They do encourage it! They simply cannot as yet enforce it'. The cavalier club of ireland is currently planing a health seminar for early 2010. With an expert cardioligist giving a talk.

Well then that is a major change. And it is not the message that many breeders feed back at all, which is of a club totally disinterested in promoting health and health awareness and in which some of the most casual breeding continues to take place even amongst prominent club members (little short of backyard breeding, using friend's dogs, bred way below the MVD protocol; it is a nightmare).

I wonder how many Irish breeders cardiologist test? How many on the Irish club committee? At this time I do nt recommend purchasing cavaliers form ANY irish breeder as I am not aware of one who properly health tests. I would be ahppy to amend this if I had evidence of anyone cardiologist and MRI testing.

I know the Irish club has only once bothered to have representation at the UK SM conferences (yet somehow I managed to get over there on my own nickel! Yet not a SINGLE Irish breeder cared to go out of their own interest in this devastating health condition! No Irish representations at all at the second event). And clearly nothing whatsoever came of it.

I know of only three in the entire country who have shown interest in MRI scanning and one is not even a club breeder.

The club could set a standard tomorrow morning that dogs must be cardiologist tested, not vet heart tested. They could create a long-lived, heart clear list and post it online. They could provide information on Cardiologist testing, MVD, SM, hips, patellas and eyes on their website. The club is not that large.

They also could have low cost cardiologist screening at their events and post this to a website so that pet owners too could take advantage (anorm in *every other country* for breed clubs) -- not least when sadly, there's a lively BYB breeding scene in Ireland (and yet no Irish breeders I know of sell their dogs on limited registration to prevent casual breeding with IKC reg) and perhaps doing this would raise awareness? In my experience the heart problems here are *horrendous* -- I have had many rescue dogs come through with sever murmurs by age 6! Some as young as 2-3. These are dogs bred by IKC breeders and some club breeders (one member too who claimed she had 'no MVD in her lines' -- the excuse normally reserved for puppy farmers and puppy scam sellers), some of them retired breeding dogs who had their maximum 6 litters before being rehomed, meaning lots of families will be devastated by the early death of their own dog.

Surely by now there is someone who could create a proper website? The existing one is so ancient that it won't even show an anything but Internet Explorer web browsers. :sl*p:

A single decent website page on health issues would do far more for raising breeder awareness than a health seminar planned for next year, much as I welcome this (though amazed it has to take so long to plan a health seminar! I spoke to UCD about arranging something like this for pet owners and was told it could be easily done any time).

It has been left to the UK Club to list the sole Irish scanning centre offering some discount on MRIs as well.

The Irish Club to all appearances seems one of the most backward and behind international clubs on the breed now, which is a shame as some Irish lines contributed in important ways to the modern CKCS and there is a valid theory that Irish dogs may have some of the better lines for dogs that are clear for SM and if scanning-- and research support were encouraged, a major contribution could very possibly be made out of Ireland -- perhaps even some of the breakthroughs in saving this breed from extinction.

Back