• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Dylan's not well.

*Pauline*

Another tummy upset probably, he's only been eating once a day since Sunday. He's been fine but last night I gave him a treat and he rested his head on it. He didn't look right last night, an SM head ache I reckon, so I took him to the vet for some Rimadyl. On the way, he was straining to do a poo and it came out a little runny. I was happy to deal with that without the vet but we had to have a consultation for the Rimadyl as this practice hasn't prescribed it for us before. Of course you can't give Rimadyl on an upset tummy, at least I wouldn't and the vet agreed. So we got some Pro-Kolin and he's been cuddling me which is nice.

I don't begrudge it but I do occasionally get tried of the stress of being nursemaid everyday. Don't get me wrong, his healthcare comes first always, I do my very best, but I wish I had a healthy dog :( I've been thinking of other breeds for a second dog today.

Sorry to read that Dylan is not well Pauline. Although I never had a dog with SM , I remember when my Rudee was very poorly with her breathing and heart problems and it was touch and go with her for a few days until the medication kicked in and I remember how worried and frustrated I was because I felt so helpless. I spent all day and night just watching her and trying to make sure that she was comfortable.

I hope Dylan starts to feel better soon :hug::hug:

:hug:Oh Pauline xx

I understand, it is very tiring! I hope Dylan is feeling better soon and that his tummy clears up quickly.
I had a shock today when picking up a prescription from Boots, the Vet couldnt get the Pregabalin that Clare recommended for Ruby as the Gabapentin is making her wobbly and unco-ordinated so i went to pick it up...........wait for it....................£150 for 2 months worth :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
Thats what the pharmasists face looked like, and mine :D

on one hand I hope they work for her, on the other hand ... well that is pricey!!

I do know that Dylan appreciates EVERYTHING you do for him and that he loves you!!

karen xx

I think cheated is the right word- we all have a dream when we take a dog in. I dreamed of Rubys whole life with me and looking after her when shes old and taking her on loads of holidays and activities and all that has been taken away from her and me! Im sure you feel exactly the same- cheated!!

Yes were insured thank goodness- its all worth it eh!!

Sorry to hear Dylan is poorly Pauline :hug:

Everyone on this board knows how much you love Dylan. It's only normal for you to feel like this. It's not easy having the constant worry of a sick dog and it's natural that you will feel down at times.

Dylan is very lucky to have you and I know he appreciates everything you do for him :hug::hug:

Hi Pauline, so sorry to hear that Dylan is not well. I fully understand how you feel about not having a healthy dog. My little girl Chaos is exactly the same and I seem to be constantly worried about her and so sad that she is missing out on so much that healthy dogs have. It is such a tie to have a dog on medication, you can hardly ever get out and leave them for long when a tablet is due. I was so happy yesterday when I was taken to a pub for lunch (my birthday) that allowed dogs and I took Chaos with me in her buggy so that I could give her her tablet, she even had a bit of burger. She also got upset tummies all the time but since I put her on omiprazole she has been so much better, don't know if Dylan is on that, if not I think it worth a try. I would also think twice about another Cavalier even though I love them so much, an older rescue might be the only way I would consider.
I feel that our sick dogs have been chosen for us because we have the compassion and love to care for them, best wishes to you and Dylan
Judy:hug::hug:

So very sorry that your beautiful Dylan has been unwell:hug: for you
---Aileen and the gang (Barney---Jazzie---Jake)

So sorry to hear about Dylan being ill...sending hugs to you both.

You are doing a great job looking after him and remember we are all here for you xx

I would also think twice about another Cavalier even though I love them so much, an older rescue might be the only way I would consider.

The plan was/is to wait for an older scanned clear retired bitch. Every now and then I get too scared about that too.

Thanks everyone, I guess I'm a bit tired and not very positive today. You really do cheer me up when I'm like this.

Dylan went for a little walk this evening and pulled and danced about like his usual self. I remembered I have a probiotic for him to go with the Pro_Kolin so I'm glad he's had that now.

Poor Dylan! Maybe he picked up a touch of the flu at the dog show. I hope he feels better soon.

So sorry to read that Dylan is not well and you are feeling down today about his health, hoping you and Dylan and feeling better today, it it understandable that you should feel down when he has one thing after another but he is such a beautiful boy and you love him very much. Just had to leave Jasper at vets for his ECG I feel lucky that Jasper as had good health up until this January and is still fine, just have to see what the ECG brings and I have also been questioning having another cavalier during this year with the MVD and SM surrounding them and have looked not as a second dog as I could not do that to Jasper at 9 1/2 but for the future and as of yet have not seen anything I could love more than a cavalier, but try to to dwell on the future and enjoy the time I have with my boy the prospect of the search for another cavalier seems very daunting to me.

oh, pauline, i am sorry to read that dylan is not well!

and i do understand your feelings, both about this and about getting another cavalier.

i am thinking the same way sometimes.
i would very much like a 5.th dog, but sometimes i very much doubt whether it really should be a cavalier. not that any of mine have 'cavaler-related' problems, but problems they do have (frida and sienna). and cavaliers in my experinece are very sensitive and react stronger to pain than any other breed i have ever had.

but then again, they are the most loving and wonderful companions i have ever had, so the next one will most probably be a cavalier....:)

hugs and good wishes to you and darling dylan:hug:

Hi Pauline,

Im so sorry Dylan is poorly at the moment and you are feeling down too.I dont think you should beat yourself up by feeling cheated, we all had dreams about what having a dog would be like. All I can say is that thank God Dylan was chosen to be with you as if he could talk I know he's tell you how grateful he is:)

Please give him gentle hugs from myself, the girls and of course little bro Leo:hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug:

Keep us up todate on how you both are,

Mel XX

I'm so sorry to hear Dylan is feeling poorly. It's good that he has you to care for him. It does seem like it's always something with Cavaliers but most breeds have their problems. Hang in there. Thinking of you & Dylan. :hug:

Sounds like Dylan's starting to feel better. I do understand what you say about being frustrated with the health of this breed. I just started leaving RIley when I went away. Since she was diagnosed with SM and had surgery 16 months ago, she hadn't left my sight. And I didn't think that anyone else would be alert enough to subtle signs that she was in pain or that something was wrong. Since she's been on prednisone, she is closer to normal (she never will act normally) and I will now leave her with a good friend who comes and stays at my house with the dogs. I do have to say though, that no matter how much I dote on Riley because of the SM, I still have 3 other dogs at home and they seem to make dealing with all of her ailments a little easier. Have to spread the love and concern around I guess!

I hope Dylan is feeling better, I know how you feel, they are such a worry. Since Molly has been diagnosed with sm and Dougall with cm, we have not gone on holiday and don't really go out at all now. I dread it if one of my friends wants to arrange an evening out! I spend my life watching them, so when they have something like an upset tummy or something which is perfectly normal it becomes a big deal as I am now paranoid.:eek:

Thank you so much everyone. Dylan seems to be getting better. He's never had a temperature that we know of, even when he has been quite poorly so I do feel sorry for him. I've been gardening in the back garden today and Dylan has been doing his own weeding and sleeping outside while I work. He always enjoys being with me when I'm gardening.

Thanks everyone again, you are so kind :flwr:

And I didn't think that anyone else would be alert enough to subtle signs that she was in pain or that something was wrong.

That's just how I feel. I was really fortunate to go on holiday with Dylan last month. I don't think anyone can tell when he has a head ache but me or his tummy is hurting him or he is very tired or stoned from the gabapentin.

Back