• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

when a pup is in the pen...

Ida

Do you have a hard time when you put them in the pen?

I just put Ida in the pen for housetraining as Dr. Ian Dunbar suggested. But she 's barking which is the first time I've ever heard any voice from her and some time it's like crying and how all day all night, and that makes me feel bad. She wants to get out badly and stay close to us.

I know Cavalier is the breed which need to be closed and that give me a hard time to ignore. Do you have any suggestion?

Ida now is 12 weeks. We housetraining her, otherwise she's gonna bite everything and eliminate everywhere in the house.

Both Molly and Éowyn has been trained to be in the pen from they were small. I just made it cosy with blankets, toys and throwing tiny treats inside for them to find. During the day the pen is open, and in the beginning I also threw treats inside just to get them in there, without closing the pen. Often they go in there to sleep, fetch toys or hide stolen goods from the house ;)
Yes, there was howling, barking and scratching in the beginning, but it usually stops after a few minutes. Now they rarely protest, they are too busy finding there treats. We only have problems, if I am cleaning round the house and they can hear me, or if we have strangers in the house (plummer etc.), where it is unpractical that the dogs are around.
Good luck :)

All puppies will do this -- and it is VERY important to learn to totally ignore this as parent dogs would do. This is how adult dogs would teach puppies that they dont get constant attention and need to learnt to think and fend for themselves -- parents are not always going to rush to feed and care for them. Puppies whine and bark by instinct to try and maintain the constant attention and get food and attention from owners just as they would from adult dogs. I am sure Ian Dunbar explains this somewhere :) -- you need to allow your puppy to gain confidence himself in being left alone. Make sure she has things to do in her pen -- eg a stuffed Kong toy and other things to keep her busy. NEVER respond to the whining and barking -- do not even look in response and don't talk and soothe. All this simply rewards the unwanted behaviour and will make it continue forever. A puppy should only be taken out of a pen when s/he has been quiet for at least a minute -- then praise and release or praise and lift out. But never, ever in response to barking and whining or the pup/adult will do this *all the time*. (y)

PS! Don't use the pen as punishment/prison. No matter how annoyed I have been at my dogs for creating a mayhem (peeing on the floor, paper torn to bits all over - when they were pups, of course, now they are pure angels icon_whistling :rolleyes:) I haven't scolded them into the pen. I have always been "happy voice and treats" when they should go in there, and now they go there voluntarily.
It is also important to use the pen for very short periods in the beginning, always returning when they have stopped whining like it was no big deal. Happy to see the dog, yes, but not "fussing and over-protective" like you are rescuing them from prison ;).

All this simply rewards the unwanted behaviour and will make it continue forever.

As Jake and I are a testament to!!!;) I gave him way too much attention as a puppy and now have a very demanding 7 year old. With Shelby, I taught her early on to be more independent and she is a very comfortable little 6 year old. She doesn't feel the need to be next to me at all times and has a much better sense of self because of this. This is a mistake I will never make again :cool: Love my boy and wouldn't trade him for the world but I really messed up by not teaching him how to comfortably be alone.

When we put our Cavalier into her crate, either for the night or when we go out, I fill a Kong toy full of kibble and give it to her. That is the only time she gets the Kong, and she loves trying to get the food out. Now when she sees the Kong, she can't get to her crate fast enough. She'll often go into her crate by herself, just because it is her 'bedroom.'

Reuben loves his crate too. He sleeps there every night and even when I open it up in the morning he doesnt come out till he is good and ready!!!

He has never made a sound in there and goes in on his own when we eat, having never been told to.

But that doesn't help you with your problem....................... I agree that yu should leave it open and pop toys and treats in there while you are in the room etc.

have you tried covering the crate..... they feel safe and sound while in there.

My little fella is a whiner and even though its hard to ignore I just ignore him. He gives up after a few minutes and goes to sleep when I ignore him or He plays with his toys. he is on the bbed here and whining away but I am totally ignoring him and he has a few toys to play with. When he goes quiet for a while I go over to him. This should make him a bit more independant when he grows up. After all we cant be there for the dog all the time.

today is the 5th day she's in the pen and still whining, howling, crying and barking. I just bought the new proper pen and tried to put 6-7 toys in it to make her busy but she'll play those toys just for a few second after I put in then she gets back asking us for attention again.

If she saw us in her sight, she's fine. But if we walk away or just disappear from her sight, now she starts.

Hope It'll get better as I following all your suggestion about ignorance.

Never know cav puppies barking louder than adult one? :)

I only have my little guy since saturday and he is starting to get independant for himself. He doesnt cry much when I dont give him attention but he is starting to realise that even when he whines I wont pick him up. I give him a minute or two of silence and then pick him up. He will eventually realise that whining will not get him attention but it does take a while.

Back