• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Foster male humps everything!

chloe92us

He was just recently neutered, but he still humps *everything* he can find (stuffed animals, beach balls :eek:, towels, laundry, etc). Even his belly band turns him on! Last night he was laying on the couch doing his "thing" and I looked down and his "lipstick" was ALL the way out...like he could have locked on to something, if you know what I mean. I am completely grossed out by this behavior! Anyone else have this problem, and will it go away now that he's been neutered?

Yes they can do that. Bailey used to hump his own hind leg........he used to put it forward,wrap his front paws around it and give it hell for leather.
Astounding!
Hopefully once he settles down and begins to relax the behaviour will ease off. The neutering will help but I reckon just ignore it and don't let him loose around the house and see what happens.
Sins

It's normal behaviour for a male and also for many females (my Lily is a Hump-o-matic!). Let me repeat, it is NORMAL including for many neutered males/females. :)

Maybe ask to just foster females if the males are that disturbing to you? I see plenty of dog penises around here with two boys, and my neighbour's old collie sticks his out every time he is doing a poop, when he strains... :lol: It is just a penis! Without them, you'd have no puppies. Indeed without them, we wouldn't be here either! :lol:

But seriously -- this is a training issue but also just dog anatomy and behaviour... if you own a few dogs over time you are going to get the ones who are very obviously male/female (especially if one doesn't neuter!). If it is 'gross' and disturbing, I'd really just tell them you will only foster females (not that they are necessarily any better though -- my Lily humps, farts, and licks embarassing areas with the best of them... :rolleyes:).

There are two articles with links in the Library section BTW. These both point out these are not necessarily behaviours resolved by neutering, especially if a dog is neutered after a lifetime of leg lifting and humping. The best results are if the male is neutered before the behaviour starts in the first place. Training is the way to go:

http://www.board.cavaliertalk.com/showthread.php?t=20623

http://www.board.cavaliertalk.com/showthread.php?t=11986

http://www.dogstardaily.com/training/down-amp-dirty-humping-sex-status-and-beyond

I had a neutered male foster who was a major humper. We laughed because he probably thought his name was "ah ah Rusty". But, seriously, after a couple of weeks of correcting his behavior as soon as I saw he was going to start it, he stopped doing it, for the most part.

Karlin is right on the money. It is a normal behavior and like any other behavior you can usually distract them out of it. Because he isn't a breeding animal you can tell him NO and give him something of value when he stops. It becomes a 'habit' if left unchecked. Mine only do this when a girl is in season-- Ironically,the NEUTERED boys tend to notice first.
It ISN'T a lipstick--ewww the thought is disturbing on many levels.

Hi, have to tell you that Impie, my chihuahua cross, who was neutered at nine months old, mated with Chaos my black and tan bitch when he was 7 years old and she was on her second season. I heard a squeal from the lounge and found them tied! Not only that he never even liked her:). He was also not a regular humper of anything. However, Chaos, the little madam loves to hump and I even bought her a black and tan toy dog to help her out. She was so frantic at it that she sometimes used to fall on her head. She does not do it so much now but was trying a bit today and I was pleased that she felt like it as she has been so poorly with the SM. Also that being spayed never made any difference to this behaviour.
Judy

My Charlie who has been with us 2 weeks is getting very much on Rubys nerves- he is continously trying to hump her. He is un neutered at the momment and wont be neutered any time soon (he is 9 months and has some serious growing and weight gain to go)

She really tells him off for doing so but im not sure if she is taking the "telling off" too far- she really laid in to him this evening as he kept on at her
She didnt bite him but she really went for his neck/back area and he ended up on his back on the floor and she carried on barking at him (quite a high pitched growly bark)
I ended up parting them myself and seperating them for some time out and didnt favour either of them doing so
Should I just let her get on with it? He does need disiplining and she seems to be doing a good job of it?
How do I know when its gone too far?

Im new to having 2 dogs so any advice is very helpful at the momment!!!

karen, ruby and charlie!!

The best results are if the male is neutered before the behaviour starts in the first place. Training is the way to go:
My Nine week old fella is at it already and I cant get him neutered yet so I have to try and stop him some way.

My Charlie who has been with us 2 weeks is getting very much on Rubys nerves- he is continously trying to hump her. He is un neutered at the momment and wont be neutered any time soon (he is 9 months and has some serious growing and weight gain to go)

He should have been Neutered at six months old realy.

Karen and Ruby,

I think I'd let her get the point across to him. It sounds like she is pretty good at expressing her feelings. Hopefully he'll get the picture soon.

And I just want to say... Bless all of you who have male dogs. You are much more tolerant of these things than I could ever be. I will stick to females, for sure. Too much "nature unleashed" in the house is kind of yucky and gross to me, I have to admit. :rolleyes:

I will say, however, that the male foster I had for 6 weeks (neutered) only humped a few times and never displayed his "hardware" once, so that was a relief!

And I will also add:

It ISN'T a lipstick--ewww the thought is disturbing on many levels.

almost made me spit my cappuccino on my monitor. Thanks for the belly laugh this rainy Monday morning! :cffee::grnyuk::rotfl::rotfl:

Last edited:
This thread has been interesting, I have a unneutered male, he has obviously had his moments, but I would never consider him to be gross, I was brought up with male dogs and would always have male dogs in the future, a female dog would be unknown territory to me.

Thanks for the varying, and interesting, replies. I DO have male dogs- and have had male fosters....BUT.....I have never had one who obviously is trying to get his knocks off!

I've seen humping a million times from my males and female dogs over the years. But, I have honestly never seen the male part/hardware/lipstick (whatever you want to call it!) come out while humping. That is what I was asking about. Can something actually come out of it if he gets too excited? Yowzers...I think I'll leave the belly band on.... :eek:

Thanks for the varying, and interesting, replies. I DO have male dogs- and have had male fosters....BUT.....I have never had one who obviously is trying to get his knocks off!

I've seen humping a million times from my males and female dogs over the years. But, I have honestly never seen the male part/hardware/lipstick (whatever you want to call it!) come out while humping. That is what I was asking about. Can something actually come out of it if he gets too excited? Yowzers...I think I'll leave the belly band on.... :eek:

Ok now I wasnt going to mention this on any board as Im not sure of the replys id get.
Ruby is a humper in her spare time- she has one stuffed animal that is her partner in crime! The other day she was on the sofa with 'panda' and she was really going for it for about 20 seconds then she stopped all of a sudden and laid down next to it- when i looked at the panda he had a small wet patch (size of a 50 pence peice id say) on it- now this sounds disggusting but i smelled it as i thought it may be urine but it didnt smell like urine at all!! Is that possible - if you catch my drift??;)

Karen

Thanks for the replys- he wasnt neutered at six months and im glad he wasnt as i like my dogs to be mature before taking a part of them away!

Back