PDA

View Full Version : Do I tip the groomer?

nannyj
8th October 2009, 05:38 PM
Quincy is almost 10 months old, and I've decided to get him groomed for the first time. Just a little trim to neaten him up a bit! Is it customary to tip the groomer? If so, how much? The groomer is charging $50. I'm new to all of this, and I would think I would, but I want to make sure.
Thanks!

chloe92us
8th October 2009, 05:42 PM
I know New Jersey is expensive, but $50 seems really high to me! When I take mine in for a trim it is $28.

But, yes, do tip the groomer. I usually give $5, or roughly 15%.

Shelli
8th October 2009, 05:48 PM
I pay 70 for my two and usually tip 10. She does a great job, exactly what I ask for, unlike another groomer I used once who cut off all feathering :swear:

Not sure of the exchange rate at the min but $50 does seem alot, but I guess you get what you pay for. If they do a good job, it's money well spent :)

nannyj
8th October 2009, 06:05 PM
Actually, in my area, $50 is cheap! I have a friend with a cavalier who pays $75, and a few other places that I called charged $65. So when I heard $50, I thought it was a bargain - LOL!! I hope the groomer does a good job. She said she trims several cavaliers.

Mom of Jato
8th October 2009, 07:54 PM
I use a groomer that comes to the house in a van that is customized into a grooming station and bath. It is $65, but you pay for the convenience. I also like that the dogs are never away from home or put in cages, etc. She also gives a 10% discount if you have more than one dog. She is the owner of the business, so would I be expected to tip her too? I haven't thus far, and I hope I'm not offending her. :confused:

chloe92us
8th October 2009, 08:06 PM
I take my dogs to a woman's home where her grooming salon is set up in her garage, and I tip her. It is so convenient, just like the mobile groomers. She lives right in my neighborhood---I take them over, they stay about an hour each, and then I pick them up.

The way I see it her charges cover her overhead, equipment, insurance, etc. and a small profit...and in your groomer's case, gas & car insurance on top of it. It shouldn't be any different than if you went to a salon to have it done; the only difference is you know she's the owner. When you go to a salon, you don't always know.

Since she gives you a 10% discount, I would pay her the 10% by way of a tip.

Karlin
8th October 2009, 08:37 PM
I always think it is appropriate to tip for good service. :) 10% would be a good basic figure but you can always add a bit more for good work or as a general appreciation.

SamT
9th October 2009, 01:30 PM
I pay 90 to get both of mine groomed but I dont tip. We always go back to the same place. When you have a kid in school, a baby on the way and two dogs 90 is enough to be paying!!

tupup
9th October 2009, 08:19 PM
Hi,
Id say yes to tipping the groomers if theyve done a good job-or if you go often & dont tip, a big box of chocs at Xmas is a good alternative:)

heather r
9th October 2009, 09:13 PM
I don't tip but at Christmas I give the groomer the cash equal to the cost of grooming our golden and cavalier $80 as of today but she said that Abigail the cavalier is really growing a coat so the price may be going up.:eek: Right now the golden is the more expensive to groom.

Heather R

nannyj
9th October 2009, 10:54 PM
Thanks to everyone for your advice. I did tip the groomer, she did an incredible job! Quincy looks so good!