• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Do I tip the groomer?

nannyj

Quincy is almost 10 months old, and I've decided to get him groomed for the first time. Just a little trim to neaten him up a bit! Is it customary to tip the groomer? If so, how much? The groomer is charging $50. I'm new to all of this, and I would think I would, but I want to make sure.
Thanks!

I know New Jersey is expensive, but $50 seems really high to me! When I take mine in for a trim it is $28.

But, yes, do tip the groomer. I usually give $5, or roughly 15%.

I pay €70 for my two and usually tip €10. She does a great job, exactly what I ask for, unlike another groomer I used once who cut off all feathering :swear:

Not sure of the exchange rate at the min but $50 does seem alot, but I guess you get what you pay for. If they do a good job, it's money well spent :)

Actually, in my area, $50 is cheap! I have a friend with a cavalier who pays $75, and a few other places that I called charged $65. So when I heard $50, I thought it was a bargain - LOL!! I hope the groomer does a good job. She said she trims several cavaliers.

I use a groomer that comes to the house in a van that is customized into a grooming station and bath. It is $65, but you pay for the convenience. I also like that the dogs are never away from home or put in cages, etc. She also gives a 10% discount if you have more than one dog. She is the owner of the business, so would I be expected to tip her too? I haven't thus far, and I hope I'm not offending her. :confused:

I take my dogs to a woman's home where her grooming salon is set up in her garage, and I tip her. It is so convenient, just like the mobile groomers. She lives right in my neighborhood---I take them over, they stay about an hour each, and then I pick them up.

The way I see it her charges cover her overhead, equipment, insurance, etc. and a small profit...and in your groomer's case, gas & car insurance on top of it. It shouldn't be any different than if you went to a salon to have it done; the only difference is you know she's the owner. When you go to a salon, you don't always know.

Since she gives you a 10% discount, I would pay her the 10% by way of a tip.

I always think it is appropriate to tip for good service. :) 10% would be a good basic figure but you can always add a bit more for good work or as a general appreciation.

I pay €90 to get both of mine groomed but I dont tip. We always go back to the same place. When you have a kid in school, a baby on the way and two dogs €90 is enough to be paying!!

Hi,
Id say yes to tipping the groomers if theyve done a good job-or if you go often & dont tip, a big box of chocs at Xmas is a good alternative:)

I don't tip but at Christmas I give the groomer the cash equal to the cost of grooming our golden and cavalier $80 as of today but she said that Abigail the cavalier is really growing a coat so the price may be going up.:eek: Right now the golden is the more expensive to groom.

Heather R

Thanks to everyone for your advice. I did tip the groomer, she did an incredible job! Quincy looks so good!

Back