• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Fed Up

LisaluvzCav

Clara has been sooo bold tonight. Shes falling back into her old ways! shes peeing all over the house :(:( Ive brought her out the back 3 times in the last hour staying with her for at least 5 minutes but stil cries and scrtaches the back door to come inside and pee. She has also been snapping and barking when shes not getting her own way.Does anybody have any advice Id really appreicate it!

Lisa, sorry to hear that, it can be so frustrating. I would bring her to the vet if it continues in case there is some underlying problem. Bear in mind though that dogs do regress in training at certain stages. They like to push the boundaries, just like children :rolleyes:
I hope you find a solution. Sorry I cant offer more help but I'm sure someone will be along soon who can give better advice :)

I'd get her to the vets tomorrow to check to see if she has a urinary tract infection. This is the main reason dogs suddenly start peeing inside and if she has one, she is absolutely unable to help herself. It will risk becoming a far more serious kidney infection so she needs to be vet checked. Female puppies are far more prone to these than males.

Then please, please remember: she isn't being bold. She is only a puppy and training a puppy is a long and patient task. She can only do what she has clearly understood you want her to do. If there isn't a medical issue, this is a training issue where her HUMANS have failed to help her understand. Don't feel bad as this is very common and most people make two very big mistakes with puppies: 1) they assume the puppy understands fully when she is still only learning and decide the puppy is housetrained on the basis of seeing no accidents for a few days. Housetraining generally takes weeks and a puppy probably won't be mostly there til age 6 months or so and will still have occasional mistakes. Typically the puppy has been going inside when unwatched (a puppy should NEVER be left unsupervised til well over 9 months or so and very reliable!) and by the time the owner notices, going inside has been well imprinted and remedial 'starting from scratch' has to happen; 2) people themselves are giving mixed messages in their training, not praising at the right time or scolding (which teaches the puppy only to not go in front of you and hide inside and do it). A good training book and a good training class or two will really help. Training alone at home is generally not that successful as it is hard to just go from a book.

That said -- If you haven't downloaded the free Ian Dunbar puppy training book, please do as it will answer how to approach housetraining correctly and also is wonderful for training and answers questions on behaviour (you have names a couple of very common issues and the answers are there in the book :) ). I think I posted the link for you before but I've reposted it in several recent threads.

But your first task must be to get her immediately to a vet. If she has a UTI she will need to keep going at all times. You need to keep her somewhere where accidents won;t matter like the kitchen floor. It is really important too not to feel fed up -- she is a baby and is only learning. Imagine how frustrating it is for a puppy to have to learn to do something as strange (from her point of view) as holding herself to go outside. 'Outside' is huge to a puppy and can easily mean the next room or the other side of a kitchen. You must have patience as she needs to be slowly trained one room at a time and with kindness and rewards.

It also sounds like you need to start some positive-approach training -- again the Ian Dunbar book will help. What is the exact context in which she is snapping and what do you mean 'when she doesn't get her own way'? Barking is how dogs communicate -- to teach a dog not to bark she needs to learn 'speak' then 'shush' or she really has no idea that you want her not to bark. (y)

I'd get her to the vets tomorrow to check to see if she has a urinary tract infection. This is the main reason dogs suddenly start peeing inside and if she has one, she is absolutely unable to help herself. It will risk becoming a far more serious kidney infection so she needs to be vet checked. Female puppies are far more prone to these than males.

Then please, please remember: she isn't being bold. She is only a puppy and training a puppy is a long and patient task. She can only do what she has clearly understood you want her to do. If there isn't a medical issue, this is a training issue where her HUMANS have failed to help her understand. Don't feel bad as this is very common and most people make two very big mistakes with puppies: 1) they assume the puppy understands fully when she is still only learning and decide the puppy is housetrained on the basis of seeing no accidents for a few days. Housetraining generally takes weeks and a puppy probably won't be mostly there til age 6 months or so and will still have occasional mistakes. Typically the puppy has been going inside when unwatched (a puppy should NEVER be left unsupervised til well over 9 months or so and very reliable!) and by the time the owner notices, going inside has been well imprinted and remedial 'starting from scratch' has to happen; 2) people themselves are giving mixed messages in their training, not praising at the right time or scolding (which teaches the puppy only to not go in front of you and hide inside and do it). A good training book and a good training class or two will really help. Training alone at home is generally not that successful as it is hard to just go from a book.

That said -- If you haven't downloaded the free Ian Dunbar puppy training book, please do as it will answer how to approach housetraining correctly and also is wonderful for training and answers questions on behaviour (you have names a couple of very common issues and the answers are there in the book :) ). I think I posted the link for you before but I've reposted it in several recent threads.

But your first task must be to get her immediately to a vet. If she has a UTI she will need to keep going at all times. You need to keep her somewhere where accidents won;t matter like the kitchen floor. It is really important too not to feel fed up -- she is a baby and is only learning. Imagine how frustrating it is for a puppy to have to learn to do something as strange (from her point of view) as holding herself to go outside. 'Outside' is huge to a puppy and can easily mean the next room or the other side of a kitchen. You must have patience as she needs to be slowly trained one room at a time and with kindness and rewards.

It also sounds like you need to start some positive-approach training -- again the Ian Dunbar book will help. What is the exact context in which she is snapping and what do you mean 'when she doesn't get her own way'? Barking is how dogs communicate -- to teach a dog not to bark she needs to learn 'speak' then 'shush' or she really has no idea that you want her not to bark. (y)

Thanks Karlin!!
I am bringing Clara to the vets tomorrow to see if she has a urinary tract infection. What kind of questions should I ask the vet? Thanks in advance

If possible, you need to bring a urine sample with you. I had to bring a couple of samples in when Daisy had a UTI a few months ago (and yes it did cause her to have a few very uncharacteristic (and unfortunately located) accidents in the house.

Following the advice of several people on this board, I used a soup ladle to catch her pee. (Of course, it's now been retired from the utensil drawer permanently.) I followed her outside first thing in the morning and when she squatted, I sneakily put the ladle under/between her back legs and caught a very nice sample. Worked like a charm and she never knew a thing about it!

Good luck!

Our Sophie peed in her crate twice in the same week, a couple weeks ago. The first time (flooded the bedding her and the crate!) we thought might be a one-off. Five days later it happened again, and I took her to the vet immediately. UTI it was! She's ten months old, and this is her third UTI since late April. I don't know if we'll ever be able to give her the run of the house at night, and when we're not home. :(

FWIW, Sophie's "free catch" samples always show bacteria, even when a sterile sample taken two hours later shows clear and nothing grows in the culture. In our case, we always get a false positive and I have to insist the vet take only a sterile sample in their office.

If possible, you need to bring a urine sample with you. I had to bring a couple of samples in when Daisy had a UTI a few months ago (and yes it did cause her to have a few very uncharacteristic (and unfortunately located) accidents in the house.

Following the advice of several people on this board, I used a soup ladle to catch her pee. (Of course, it's now been retired from the utensil drawer permanently.) I followed her outside first thing in the morning and when she squatted, I sneakily put the ladle under/between her back legs and caught a very nice sample. Worked like a charm and she never knew a thing about it!

Good luck!
Omg thank you so much I would of never thought of getting one I will get one first thing in the morning.

Our Sophie peed in her crate twice in the same week, a couple weeks ago. The first time (flooded the bedding her and the crate!) we thought might be a one-off. Five days later it happened again, and I took her to the vet immediately. UTI it was! She's ten months old, and this is her third UTI since late April. I don't know if we'll ever be able to give her the run of the house at night, and when we're not home. :(

FWIW, Sophie's "free catch" samples always show bacteria, even when a sterile sample taken two hours later shows clear and nothing grows in the culture. In our case, we always get a false positive and I have to insist the vet take only a sterile sample in their office.

Awh i hope Sophie gets better. Il let you know how Clara gets on

Awh i hope Sophie gets better. Il let you know how Clara gets on

Thank you for asking. I hope Clara will be okay. Sophie is all better, for now. We went in on Friday for a recheck. It was her last day of Rx and the vet needed to know whether to extend it. She had perfect pee. (LOL) If only I knew what causes them. Vet said it could be all the rain we've had, all her hair holding the moisture (I have told Sophie she may be getting a Brazilian wax job...just kidding!) or any other irritant. Structurally, she's in good shape, so something else is causing the UTIs.

Last edited:
Back