• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Advice please on Misty's behaviour

murphy's mum

Some of you may know one of our cats, Tom, went to the bridge last month.

Well I was on-line yesterday looking at our local Cats Protection site, and just felt compelled to go and have a look around. We made the call, and as Fiona at the Center had dealt with us before she asked us to pop round today.

We are now the proud owners of a very, very fat ginger and white boy called, Sandy. He had been in rescue for 6 months, although I don't know why, despite being a Sumo he's extremely handsome, and never stops purring:luv: We've set him up in the spare room, so he can adjust, and we'll gradually introduce him to Jerry our other cat, and Murphy and Misty, our cavs.

However, I'm not sure how to handle Misty. She seems obsessed by the newest addition, to the point where all she does is sit at his door and whine. I don't know what to do with her. I've moved her away from the bedroom door, as her whining is making Sandy growl and arch his back. But now she's sitting in the living room whining at the door, she's panting too, indicating she's getting stressed.

Any ideas on what I should do? I know it's natural to be curious about Sandy, but as I said she seems obsessed by him.

how's Misty doing with her new housemate now?

Tracking to remember what she did when she met our cats, but I guess the difference this time is that it's the CAT that's the newcomer and not Misty.

Hope things are settling down a bit, but you know where Misty's concerned I can't help but smile :):). What a character she is!

I'd ignore the behaviour and it will stop eventually. I'd also try distracting her with other things to do -- a stuffed kong for example or take her out and really tire her with exercise. I'd be sure to keep her on a lead when meeting the new cat as well.

Thanks for taking in such a lovely sounding fellow! There are so many needy wonderful cats in rescues and pounds waiting a new home. I think adults are also so much more pleasant to take on than kittens, and so much more in need of homes too.

I love big sumo tomcats. :)

I just want to add that we adopted a sumo-orange & white ginger tom from the shelter last year too---8 years old. LOVE HIM! And there is something special about the orange cats- they seem to be especially dog-like, loving, and friendly.

I hope Misty calms down soon enough. It is always stressful when a new animal comes in the house---whether it's a permanent addition or a foster. The first week is the toughest. Then it just seems to cool down and everyone settles in during week 2. Good luck! :cool:

She's a lot calmer now, and she seems less upset by it all. We've got them separated by a baby gate at the top of the stairs so they can get used to each other. Although Sandy did try to give her a boxing through the bars yesterday:badgrin:

We'll just try and keep the meeting calm, and hopefully Sandy will get used to the brood we have. He purrs for Scotland, and was is so laid back around humans he lay down on the vets table and purred himself half to sleep:rolleyes:

Not his best picture
DSC00326.jpg

Ginger and loving it
DSC00325.jpg

Back