• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

16 weeks old vomiting tonight...worried

sweethearts

My darlin' Mrs. Beasley has been throwing up w/ diarehea tonight. It's just past midnight & I think I have her down. Doubled up my blankets in bed plus a pee pad. She had a few bouts pretty loose runs & vomited about 4 times tonight. To my suprise there was paper recipets or something mixed in. She did grab a small piece of pizza crust as I was changing my garbage this evening. I chased her down but she had obviously eaten it. ( It wasn't a ful size piece) Could this have caused it? She eats only her food that the dr. has recommmened yet. Just as she was about to get sick I could hear loud gurling noises coming from her belly. Any advice or info is appreciated. Although she's been sick I did let her have just a few slurps of water because i din't want her to dehydrate. Can dogs get things like the flu etc..?

Pups can get dehydrated very fast, esp. if it is coming out of both ends. You need to bring her to the vet asap, even if she has stopped vomiting and pooing. let her have as much water as she needs to have. If she ate something dodgy then this could be the cause but it's always best to make sure. Puppies are so small and anything like this can cause probems, please try to get her to a vet to get checked over.

Just a quick update here. My sweet little sugar plum (Mrs. Beasley) seems to be doing much better today. Formed stools and no vomiting. Big change from late last night I must say. Active, and seeming "normal". I do have a vet appt. coming up very shortly for her rabies (?) vaccine & will inform the vet of this. If ANYTHING does not appear to be normal at all today I will get her to the vet. I did let her drink and held off on her morning meal until a little later than normal to make sure evrything was ok. I was so worried never have undergone this type of situation before. Thanks for the help.

Both Sam and Charlie did this when they were pups. Usually cause they ate something is the garden. I would rush them down to the vet but the vet would just say rice and steamed chicken and it should stop. It always stopped within 24 hours. Unless there is blood in the poo or vomit dont panic unless it goes by the 24 hours. Both mine still do it the odd time but it does not last. U will get to know when they are sick or when they just ate something funny on their walk and are suffering for it!!

I am trying to distinguish between the times they need attn. and not. If I'm ever in doubt, off they'd go right away. I realize there's always the chance of them having something blocking them and that is crucial. My cav is 16 weeks so I guess the chicken and rice is not reccommended yet. I'm hungry as heck right now and that chicken and rice sounds good for dinner! lol

Chicken and rice is fine at that age, just a bit. I gave it to Sam and Charlie at about 14 weeks or so because when we first got them they were sick a few times. The vet said chicken and rice instead of their food. Usually works, stops the runny poos.

If the pup has a UTI you will notice because they will strain to pee but nothing will come out. Charlie was a very extreme case and we had to bring him for an ultra sound etc. He is fine now. The vet said he never saw a dog as bad.

You will learn when they get sick not to rush them to the vet, unless of course there is blood in the sick or the poo. Sometimes a dog will get sick once or twice and thats it, they have brought up what was upsetting them.

I think it is always advisable to call your vet if a dog is repeatedly vomiting especially if there's any suspicion it may have eaten something unknown in the garden or on a walk. Snail pellets and certain plants can kill a dog especially a puppy, quickly and immediate action by a vet is the only chance that dog will have.

I would consider it less important if the dog is unlikely to have eaten anything and may just have an upset tummy.

Just ring the vet and describe what is going on and ask their advice. If they feel the dog should come in they will say so. If a vet isn't willing to do this then I'd change vets. I ring mine now and then for advice and about half the time they'll recommend coming in.

There's a good post by a vet pinned at the top of the Health and Diet forum on when you should bring your dog to the vet. It includes vomiting. It is a good article to read through completely and then to refer to as necessary (that's why I pinned it, for easy access :) ).

Oh they do love to eat anything they can!! We have our patio fenced off so its much easier to control what they can get. We dont put anything down in the garden to kill slugs etc just in case.

Back