PDA

View Full Version : I think I've fallen for her..

-leah-
21st October 2009, 05:58 PM
Came across this little girl today and I don't know what it is baout her that makes her differnet to any other rescues I have seen but I just fell in love with her. I'm going to go home and have a chat with my mam about it at the weekend, I seriously doubt she will agree though as she had to mind Bailey and Holly during the week as I live in Dublin to be closer to college.

I'm hoping I will be able to persaude her by offering to pay for insurance, she currently pays for the insurance for the other two but I pay for everything else food, toys etc. I'm going to call them to find out more details like how her health is. I feel she would thrive in our home as it is quiet and we could intorduce her to small children and various noises when we feel she is ready.

I think I'm setting myself up for disappointment here:(

http://www.irishanimals.ie/spanielsetters_homes.html

davey
21st October 2009, 07:48 PM
Oh my God...she is fabulous...the poor little darling...goodluk with talkin parents round...

Karlin
21st October 2009, 08:55 PM
She is very sweet! :) It would be good for her to be with other dogs too. But it may be a bit unfair to essentially have your mther the main owner/minder of three dogs -- three are a lot more challenging than one, especially one that probably isn't well housetrained, if at all, and will need constant work and commitment to bring her along. Keep in mind too that generally such dogs may never like children and feel very threatened by them. If there's a situation where she would need to be exposed to kids she might not be a good choice (personally I would place such a dog only into an adult home and require at least one other dog -- it is hard for dogs like this to go into an only dog home). Some ex breeding dogs like this make an easy adjustment but for some, being around children is just too frightening and traumatic. So in general she would probably need to be your mother's dog and taken on in that context to be fair to the dog and to your mother.

-leah-
21st October 2009, 09:10 PM
She is very sweet! :) It would be good for her to be with other dogs too. But it may be a bit unfair to essentially have your mther the main owner/minder of three dogs -- three are a lot more challenging than one, especially one that probably isn't well housetrained, if at all, and will need constant work and commitment to bring her along. Keep in mind too that generally such dogs may never like children and feel very threatened by them. If there's a situation where she would need to be exposed to kids she might not be a good choice (personally I would place such a dog only into an adult home and require at least one other dog -- it is hard for dogs like this to go into an only dog home). Some ex breeding dogs like this make an easy adjustment but for some, being around children is just too frightening and traumatic. So in general she would probably need to be your mother's dog and taken on in that context to be fair to the dog and to your mother.

Sorry I don't think I made myself clear, we don't actually have any young children at home but could arrange a visit to see how she reacts but not until she has settled in of course.

Anyway this is just a pipe-dream but I'm still going to discuss it with my Mam at the weekend. I am currently on the look out for a dog-walker for Bailey so if we took on this dog she would join them, poor Holly can't go for walks atm.

I think our home would be perfect for her as I said before it's really quiet, Bailey and Holly are four now and are very calm welcoming dogs, we'll just have to wait and see what my Mam has to say!

Margaret C
21st October 2009, 10:25 PM
I don't want to discourage any one but I do think that the decision to home multiple dogs needs to be thought through carefully.

A handful of young dogs will in a few years become a household of elderly cavaliers with MVD, SM, eye ulcers etc.

The veterinary bills of aging cavaliers ( and Japanese Chins ) can be frightening, and the Insurance companies have a policy of putting up the premiums, and the excess charge, to such an extent that many owners can no longer afford them.

sins
21st October 2009, 10:39 PM
I would say never get a dog just because you have fallen for her.
Only get a second or third * dog when all conditions and circumstances are ideal within the home.An older frightened dog is like a special needs dog and may never be able to socially interact fully with humans or other dogs.
When a dog like this comes up for rehoming first consideration is the dog's needs,not just for today but in the long term when you area way at Uni.
I must admit to having fallen for a few fosters but I never asked to keep them because I couldn't meet all their needs fully.
Sins

Karlin
21st October 2009, 11:00 PM
I must admit to having fallen for a few fosters but I never asked to keep them

If only I'd known! :lol:

More seriously: lots of good advice to weigh into a decision. How will your mum manage if this dog never much improves? If that is fine with her, and she takes this dog on as her dog (as she really wouldn't be yours, given your absence and own study commitments) then I know many of us would be happy to give advice on managing her. :) I always think however that anyone should only adopt a special case dog accepting that they may never be much different and that needs to be understood and okay with everyone, and most importantly, accommodated.

-leah-
21st October 2009, 11:37 PM
Thanks for all of the input.

We actually have first hand experience of a dog who was abused, we often mind my cousins dog who was rescued two years ago. She is terrified of men, runs in the opposite direction if you throw a ball when playing fetch and needs so much encouragement to complete even the simplest tasks like going outside to go to the toilet. She thrives when she stays with us because she gets on so well with Bailey and Holly.

I can assure you that this isn't a decision that will be made lightly and I doubt that we will end up taking her. Fortunatley all going well I will be a qualified vet when my two are in their late senior years so I will most definatley be in the position to take on a rescue cavalier then:)

Also just wanted to add that just because I am away for four days out of seven I don't think that would make me any less the 'owner'. I would still consider myself as primary carer for Bailey and Holly even though I am away during the week. It is me that bathes them, cleans out their ears, brushes their teeth, grooms them, takes them to the vet, takes Holly to Hydrotherapy, makes sure their meds are stocked up, buys their food, ensures that they are wormed/protected against fleas and lets them sleep in my bed!

harleyfarley
22nd October 2009, 01:10 PM
Best of luck, i really hope you can give her a good home, di