• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

potty training-making headway finally

sweethearts

Learning how important treats are in training, I'm starting to see them pay off & understand how/why they're used. Living in a condo unit I have to take Mrs. Beasley down the elavator, down the driveway, and over to a grassy area to relieve herself. It's really not that far but to a young pup it probably seems like quite the distance. In my other training inside I use treats all the time. When we go out in a hurry I often forget them. ( I know, my bad lol) Well, in only the last 2 days I take them EVERY TIME we go potty. She gets rewarded. Tonight she did her buissiness and looked for her reward. She tinkeld, then poopie dooped. 2 seperate treats of course. For the first time ever, upon coming in she stopped herself before leaving the area & looked up at me not letting me take her any further. She sniffed around and went again! Normally she'd just do it as soon as we got back inside. She came to me for her treat but I didn't expect a 3rd time so I didn't have one. Aaww, I felt so guilty. I did reward her with lots of lovin' as I've read here that they consider that reward too. This may not seem like a big deal but it was MAJOR progress for us. Yeah! I think we're gonna make it after all lol. I want to say the treats definetly seem to be the biggest aid in training. I'm glad I'm learning so much here. PS I LOVE looking at all the pitures of everyone's little darlings.I can't imagine my life without a Cavalier now.

That sounds great! :)

You do want to start alternating praise and treats so she doesn't always get treats. So don;t worry too much about sometimes not having anything with you. The thing is you know she is getting it now and is connecting pottying to the reward, which is what you want to see!

Tonight when I was sitting on my balconey Mrs. Beasley came to the slightly opened door and barked a couple times with a slight play growl but didn't want to play. I thought she wanted to come out but it was drizzling a bit ( I have an awning) & didn't want to get her feet wet. She went back into the house. A couple minutes later I came in to find a poop (lol) in my hallway. Maybe she was barking to go outside. If so that would be a major progression for us. Hhmm... She's learning as I'm learning too. Together we're gonna get it. I love her so much.

Maybe she was trying to tell you she needed to go out. With any puppy we have, whenever they approach us and act like they want or need something, even just by staring at us, I take them out. I want them to learn that they can train me this way, if they have to go.

Bobby is 90% of the way to being fully potty trained. He lets me know in a subtle way that he needs to go but if I am not there and its my brother , sister or my brothers girlfriend he will do his business inside (I think its because thy dont wtch for the signal). He is very good now though. He always wakes me up at 7am to go to the toilet and he shows me that he needs outsid also during the day.

Back