PDA

View Full Version : Newbie in need of help!!

lewis105
25th October 2009, 11:20 PM
Hello everyone,

I have had Poppy for about 6 years now ( i say i have but in fact its my parents but i might as well be the owner lol)

She is 6 years old and is the most kind hearted and loveable dog i have ever known, this is our 2nd CKCS and absolutly love the breed.

the first thing that i need help on is a few facts!!

i believe my dog is over weight due to my parents for the first 5 years feeding her a cooked chicken thigh and biscuits each night,( she would have the occasional dog food but it was rare) i told my parents it should have been the over way round for a treat.

for the last year i have managed to get them to feed her a small square tin of dog food and small amount of biscuits.

What should the average 6yr old weigh and what should be their size?

2nd thing is that she is becoming very lazy and does not enjoy her walks as much as she used to, Is there any way to make her a bit more active and enjoy running around?

Lastly (for now) is, is there a way to stop a dog from snooring? It sounds like we have an old man on our landing at night lol.

Well any help would be great and most appreciated.

Here is a little picture of poppy about 5 weeks ago.

http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm247/Lewiszr/My%20Car/HPIM1989.jpg

cheers
Lewis

Karen and Ruby
25th October 2009, 11:59 PM
It very much depends on the size of your beauty to how much she should weigh but she should have a defined waistline and you should be able to feel her ribs with only a small layer of fat between them and the skin.
If you cant feel the ribs then she is overweight.
her ages signifies she is reaching her senior years and it may be worth getting her on a diet special for senior dogs. With her age can also come joint problems and if she has been overweight for a while thien it is quite likely she may have joint problems.
Get her an MOT at the vets and see what they think- the easiest and kindest way for a dog to loose weight that has joint pain is through Hydrotherepy. Ruby goes once a week and thouroughly enjoys herself. She can swim for alot longer that she can run/wallk about.

it is important to keep her as active as possible in her later years as older dogs can easily become depressed and lothagic and wont want to get out and about.
Healthy in mind is also important so maybe go back and train her some tricks to keep her mind busy- you'll be surprised how she perks up!!

Good luck with her!

WoodHaven
26th October 2009, 12:14 AM
You are smart to be concerned. Here in the states, it was written that well over 50% of dogs are overweight. For this breed, that has a history with heart issues, being slightly underweight would be preferable to being overweight. I just got a dog back into my home that was almost 4 pounds heavier than she should be. She came back ill, so I haven't pushed the weight loss, tho she has lost almost 2 pounds.

The correct weight could be anywhere from 10-25 or so pounds. It totally depends on the structure and size. You should be able to see a waistline when you look down on the dog.

chloe92us
26th October 2009, 12:28 AM
Based on your concerns alone---yes, it sounds like she is overweight. Cavaliers can be snorers, but I have found that they snore more when they are heavy. Also, they are lazy when they are overweight.

When you look down at her while standing over her, you should be able to see a definite "waist". Also, when she is standing, place your hands over her rib cage and move them slowly back and forth. Can you feel her ribs easily? If not, she is overweight.

But don't worry---it's easy for them to lose weight but you have to commit to working on it. 1) Start using a measuring cup. Take the amount of food you've been giving her and put it in her bowl as usual. Then dump the contents into the measuring cup to find out (approx) how much you've been feeding her thus far. Then 2) feed her 1/3 to 1/2 LESS than that from now on and throw a small handful of frozen or fresh green beans on top. Do that for a few months and reassess.

Good luck!

PS/ She is so cute though! I love the B&T's.

Mindysmom
26th October 2009, 11:54 AM
You might also talk to your vet about a glucosomine and chondroitin supplement for joints as she is getting older. My Mindy is nearly 12 and although she is not very active anymore she does still love her walks and rarely misses one.

lewis105
26th October 2009, 01:24 PM
Many Thanks for all of the above, i will try to speak to my parents and get them to cut her food down, I will also check to see if i can feel her ribs but i very much doubt it. I thought as much about the snoring but i just had a slight doubt if she lost weight it may help her breathing.

I have another question about her health, yesturday morning she started to cough and sneeze, it sounded like she wanted to bring something up but the more i hear it, it sounds like a humans cold, Has she simply got a humans cold and this will go in a couple of days or is this something like kennal cough?

Starting to get worried now as she seems to be in pain when she coughs!

Many thanks for all the help as this is much appreicated.

Lewis

Brian M
26th October 2009, 02:03 PM
Hi

I have 4 Cavaliers and they vary from Poppy who is a big girl of 12.40 kg (on a diet for a long time ) down to Lily who is 6.70 kg Rosie at 9.10 kg and Daisy at 7.90 kg,and if she is coughing and trying to fetch something up read up on Kennel Cough and dont worry about snoring as my Daisy in full flow rattles the double glazed windows.:)

chloe92us
26th October 2009, 02:54 PM
How long has she been coughing like that? I don't mean to scare you, but coughing like that CAN be a sign of heart failure, or it could be kennel cough. EITHER WAY, she needs to go to the Vet ASAP!

Tania
26th October 2009, 03:58 PM
I think I would take her to the vets and get her thoroughly checked out, if she isn't enjoying her walks as much there might be a reason fot it.
Love the photo.

Karlin
26th October 2009, 04:36 PM
She definitely needs a visit to the vet. The coughing sound may just be 'reverse sneezing', also known as the 'cavalier snort', but may also be the signs of heart disease -- the breed has a very high rate of early onset mitral valve disease (MVD) which, when it moves to congestive heart failure, produces coughing because the dog begins to get liquid in its lungs. There are medications for this and they can add years to a dog's life but getting her proper care is very urgent.

If she is overweight it will add to the burden on her heart so being trim is doubly important and a vet can tell you if she is too heavy.

Snoring can definitely improve once a dog is at its proper fit weight. But the breed has an artificially short muzzle and its nasal passages are compressed -- in many/most dogs, this causes some snoring. Only one of five in my house never snores, and all are in good weight.

As for diet -- I'd actually prefer to mix some fresh meat with dry food or alternate it with the tinned food added to dry. She needs some dry food as it helps keep teeth and gums in better shape, but tinned food is a processed food and I'd far rather add a bit of cooked chicken (remove skin as this is very high in calories).

Overall I think a good checkup is due and that will answer a lot of your questions.

It's really impossible to tell you what weight your cavalier should be as there's such huge variation in the 'right' weight depending on the dog's size. While breed standard is 12/13-18 lbs in reality many dogs are much larger than those weights would warrant. We have fit dogs as large as close to 40lbs on the board -- very oversized for the breed, but such a dog would be severely emaciated at 18 lbs (and maybe dead from starvation!).

I think the clubs really must think about redoing the breed standard for weight -- I have been told by many show breeders now that MOST dogs are at the upper end of the standard or over it, especially males. I know breeders who would consider an 18lb male as too small. Either remove those bottom lower weights and breed for a slightly larger dog or add 5-10 lbs onto the breed standard as the reality is there are a lot of 20+ dogs now being shown and winning.

Love my Cavaliers
26th October 2009, 05:42 PM
My four dogs weigh 12 pounds (5.5 kg), 16 pounds (7.3 kg), 17 pounds (7.7 kg) and 26 pounds (11.8 kg). Much variation, but all are at a good weight and I can see a defined waist and feel ribs in each of them. My vet always says that the best way to reduce weight in a dog is to reduce the total (that includes the amount of treasts) amount of food you are feeding by 1/3. You have to be strong though to ignore those pleading cavalier eyes and their plaintive looks! Try adding cooked green beans to her food - low calorie but they add some filling.

Love my Cavaliers
26th October 2009, 05:44 PM
Forgot to add that all of mine snore except Oz, who is the youngest. Even Riley, the smallest, can sound like a jet plane landing.

Karlin
26th October 2009, 05:48 PM
My vet always says that the best way to reduce weight in a dog is to reduce the total (that includes the amount of treasts) amount of food you are feeding by 1/3.

That's my approach. I give mini carrots or carrot sticks, frozen green beans, sliced bell peppers etc as treats -- all mine either love these or learn quickly to love these and there's no cals so guilt-free treating for the owner. The roughage is great for dogs too.

Charlifarley
26th October 2009, 07:21 PM
I have recently started giving my two some raw carrot with their dinner and they absolutely love it. I was wondering though, do I need to reduce down the amount of dry food that I give them?

WoodHaven
26th October 2009, 07:24 PM
I have recently started giving my two some raw carrot with their dinner and they absolutely love it. I was wondering though, do I need to reduce down the amount of dry food that I give them?

Only if you want to reduce their weight. Raw carrot if not chewed doesn't fully digest-- If they do chew it is good for teeth and gums.

Brian M
26th October 2009, 09:43 PM
Hi Sandy

Agreed when poop picking one thing that sticks out to the eye is undigested raw carrot ,this week they have had broccoli and cabbage mixed but even though I don't eat it myself have heard in the past lots of comments about the cabbage effect on extraneous gasses .:confused:
I normally thaw all veg before feeding or is it OK to feed frozen as well .

WoodHaven
26th October 2009, 10:04 PM
Hi Sandy

Agreed when poop picking one thing that sticks out to the eye is undigested raw carrot ,this week they have had broccoli and cabbage mixed but even though I don't eat it myself have heard in the past lots of comments about the cabbage effect on extraneous gasses .:confused:
I normally thaw all veg before feeding or is it OK to feed frozen as well .

The only vegetable that I'd serve frozen is something that wouldn't produce a choking hazard. Green beans seem to be safe. My hubby once gave them frozen strawberries and I thought that too hard and round for them. Some used their feet to play with the frozen orb-- only to get:o pink feet. He was trying to be nice.

Charlifarley
27th October 2009, 10:03 AM
Thanks, they seem to chew most of it, I have noticed undigested carrot a couple of times, but nothing major. They also get some apple pieces which are devoured too!

lewis105
27th October 2009, 12:34 PM
Thanks again for the help. We will be taking her down the vets today and to get her checked over. I had a feel for the ribs and i could JUST feel them. She has a thick coat but i think she is over weight, When she gets better she is going on a strict diet.

What do people feed thier dogs?
Dry food, tinned, mixture?

chloe92us
27th October 2009, 01:18 PM
I think most people here feed either dry or a mix of dry & tinned. There are TONS of threads on feeding. Do a search and you'll be overwhelmed! :cool: There are also some who feed strictly raw or homecooked. It's really whatever works with your lifestyle, budget, time constraints, etc.

lewis105
28th October 2009, 01:07 PM
thank you all,

Took poppy to the vets and got told it is just kennel cough, Been told that if in future it is kennel cough do not bring her to the vet as the others will get it.

Just giving her a little bit of cough med and she seems to be picking up.

Once she is better she is going on a strict diet and going to lose some of that fat!

Brian M
28th October 2009, 01:30 PM
Hi

Two out of my four Cavaliers recently had K C ,my vet put the two of them on a course of Trimcare 80 which I further supplemented with 5 ml doses of Benylin or Tixy Lix childrens strength .They first caught it around Sept 12 th and Daisy is OK but poor Poppy stil has a couple of coughs a day but as she seems to quite enjoy her medicine so she could be conning me ,so theres not a lot to do except keep an eye on them and when they have a coughing bout just reassure them and gently stroke her throat and chest and try and keep them away from other dogs of course ,good luck and sorry to hear. I did do a thread on CT so have a search around that date.

sweethearts
30th October 2009, 11:37 PM
Poppy is fortunate to have someone like you. Look at her, she's such a darling.