• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

URGENT: Calendar questions and size problem

Karlin

Administrator
Staff member
I'd hoped to upload the calendar templates and have them ready to go for orders. But we have problems.

1) the pictures are in every case, of such a small size and low resolution that I am told they will reproduce looking grainy and slightly out of focus. Generally to reproduce well, you need the originals of the pictures, not the very compressed versions that are uploaded to sites like Flickr and which most people seem to have submitted for the calendar. Most digital cameras will create an original of several MB in size. Some of the images I have are 40-50 times lower in resolution that that! :eek: I currently will have to enlarge the images to fit a calendar page, rather than reduce -- the latter is what you want to be doing to preserve a nice image. Most images are not even 200kb in size, which is way too tiny. In general to reproduce well in a much smaller size just for my newspaper we need files at least 1MB in size and ideally much larger.

2) In most months I received two images, which was unexpected. Ideally you only want a single image per month and a single image for the cover. My fault for not giving an outline of what was needed, but I hadn't realised people were going to vary from the way pictures have always been submitted in the past, one a month with a collage for the month of August. I understand people thought there'd be no problems in having two images each month at Cafepress, but the issue isn't whether you can squeeze them in (as we could have done that in the past, too) -- it is that it is actually complex to do two images and the templates are designed to upload only a single image. I would need to go create separate collages for eight of the 'two picture' months months then upload the entire collage which is very time consuming (eg many hours of extra work using photo editing software that I don't actually own). I can do that once for the cover, but not for all the other months, so will take the winning picture.

So:

1) I am having to make some executive decisions which is: if I have two images, I will use the one that had the most votes or else, the one that is the best quality if the winning one is too small to enlarge and I don't get a fresh version (see below).

2) But the big problem is that I really, really, really need better versions of almost every image that was submitted -- meaning the original full size image if at all possible. I need the image to be at LEAST 1MB though and ideally at LEAST 1.5MB. I have tried a 700kb image as a test to submit, and even that has come back with a warning that it is too poor a resolution, and will look of poor quality. So the many images I have that are less than 200kb will really not enlarge to a calendar page. Those really need to come back as higher resolution.

If people see this, they can email me the images directly at karlinATcavaliertalk.com, replacing the AT with @, I will get this done as quickly as possible. I'd like to have this up and available in the next week, if people could mail me high res images by Friday the 31st.

Sorry but I fail to see how there are two winners for each month and I think it's going to look pretty awful with one big picture and another covering part of it.

Here were the winners :confused:

Nicki-January
Mycavyangels-February
Ice-Cavi-March
Not sure what happened in April, there should have been a tie breaker between Brian and Ourempire.
Brian-May
Sabby-June
Renate-July
Nicki-August
*Pauline*-September
Rumor-October
Nicki-November
Claire L-December

I emailed Sonia with a full size jpeg but I'll email one to you too.

Last edited:
OK -- that helps explain things; I had thought they'd been sent by the winners at the full size. I think maybe when Sonia mailed the pics to me, her email programme automatically resized them (Outlook can be a bit confusing and do this if you send pictures, as it thinks you probably are sending snaps to friends, as opposed to sending attachments at full size)-- I asked, and I think she thought they were coming at the size they were mailed, but it sounds like they got resized without her realising. I had barely anything above 150kb which seemed really small for everyone to have sent them at that size!

That will really help if there's a single winner per month as it looks so much nicer on the page!

That's a relief as I got two order requests other than my own just because Dylan won September. I'm just double checking the names I gave and I was wrong for August so I edited that in my previous post.

You will need to look at April to clear up the draw or maybe I just can't find it. icon_nwunsure

Last edited:
I think the problem arises as there are more photo entries per month than the maximum allowed in a poll, so there are TWO polls for some of the months.

OK I've just been through, these are the winners of the actual polls. It seems to have been viewed that each poll was a separate competition, rather than the winner being the one with the most votes of either poll.

January - Nicki

February - Mycavyangels

March - Part 1 - rosiesmum {5 votes}

March - Part 2 - Ice-Cavi {10 votes}

April - Part 1 - Ourempire {7 votes}

April - Part 2 - Brian M {7 votes}

May - Part 1 - Sabby {6 votes}

May - Part 2 - Brian M {9 votes}

June - Part 1 tiebreaker - Sabby {12 votes}

June - Part 2 - Lance {4 votes}

July - Part 1 - Harleyfarley {8 votes}

July - Part 2 - 2nd tiebreaker - Renate {10 votes}

August - Part 1 - Chuck {7 votes}

August - Part 2 - Nicki {8 votes}

September - Pauline

October - Rumor

November - Nicki

December - Claire L

For the front cover:

Lady - lady and amber

Jack - louise1823

Minnie Moo - Claire L

Razzel - SamT

Cruz and Rupert - Nicki

Buttons, Kevin and Cailean - Misty

Peppa - Wagtails

We have TEN dogs sadly - I will make a collage picture.

Last edited:
For those months with two polls the one with the highest number of votes wins. We are always told to only vote on one poll if there are two for any given month.

The file size of my pic for December is under 700kb. I can't find a copy of it in a higher resolution so I guess my pic will not be suitable for the calendar after all :(

If you read the instructions this year Pauline, it DOES NOT mention that. I raised it with Sonia but people had already voted by the time I realised.

There are many new members who would not be aware of what happened in previous years.

There seems to have been a lack of "reading the instructions" anyway this year, judging by the number of entries of living dogs in the section for sadly departed companions... :(

Claire, that will be fine for the cover, as there are lots of photos so they only need to be a bit smaller. Not sure about for the main December page though?

OK, what I am going to do is create a collage for one of the months with the extra pictures, or else create two calendars. depending on what is easiest (probably the latter). There should only have been a single vote for a single image per month. I am sorry I wasn't aware there was confusion on this issue when the voting happened. I will use the winning image unless that person fails to get me a proper sized image that I can use by Friday. In that case I will use the second image and use the first place image as part of the collage month if I make that choice.

It is just too difficult for me ( or anyone else) to do all the editing work that it would take to put two images per page for 8 months :eek:-- this is literally days and days of extra work to learn the software, then do the images, then prepare the templates. I know people often are not aware of the logistics of managing images and producing something like this, but using two images each month would have been a very unfair burden to place on anyone who has volunteered time to produce the calendar in the past. The calendar is always a massive job for the person in charge which is why I suggested I'd do it and put it on Cafepress. But I hadn't realised we'd have this complication over the number of images or the sizes.

In the future there will be a single picture per month and I'll take the images directly, so there will be less confusion. If Cafepress improves their template designs so that it is easy to use multiple pictures (as there is with Apple calendars) then we could consider a change to this. (y)

Claire the pic will be fine. :) It is the really small ones that are the big problem. So send me your image directly. (y)

There are lots of great pictures so we'll just have the extra choice of two calendars this year. :)

Now: I DO need the larger files from everyone, so please do send these if you can. So far I have fresh files from Sabine, Nicki, Teri and Pauline. Keep 'em coming!

The misunderstandings are honest misunderstandings on both sides, so let's sort this giving the most options to people. (y)

On the 'silver lining' side, all this is pushing me to properly set up a Cavaliertalk Cafepress store for the UK and US, with cavalier items. I've had a store for over two years which I have used for selling the CDs from the SM conference talks and always meant to get more fun stuff up there.

Karlin

Do you now need files for all the photos we each entered ,ie 12 ,or just for the moths that each member had won the votes ,ie April and May in my case.

Karlin, if you e-mail me the photos for the front cover, we've had an idea for a collage...

Perhaps we could have the same cover on both calendars?

Thanks Nicki -- you are much better at that sort of thing than me! :)

I think the same cover for both, to honour the many wonderful CavalierTalk dogs that left us this past year. (y)

Pauline is correct, I just need the winning pics at the proper full size. :)

Back