PDA

View Full Version : 3 cavaliers in the Somerset area

Kizzys Mum
27th October 2009, 10:09 PM
Three cavs at Dogs Friends (http://www.dogsfriends.co.uk/)
Frodo - 7 year old ruby male who's owner has died.
Plus 2 others (no details yet)

Kizzys Mum
28th October 2009, 05:18 PM
Update on one of them -
Theo is a 16 week old Blenheim Cavalier King Charles Spaniel. He had not been weaned when he arrived and he not got a clue about eating puppy food or drinking out of a bowl.

Theo was born on a Welsh farm. One of his eyes got damaged so he could not be sold by his breeder. He was given to us last week so we could take him to our vets for them to try and save his eye. Very sadly, because the eye had been left untreated so long, it is too badly damaged to save. He is blind in this eye and, because it is so painful (he is now on strong pain killers) it will need removing in a few weeks when the pup is strong enough.

PS - he's adorable!

Kizzys Mum
29th October 2009, 04:25 PM
Frodo needs a check up at the vets as he has a poorly leg so all that I can say at the moment is that he's a happy chappy, very easy going, no issues, gets on with everyone and everything around him, but he does like the sofa - which some people wont mind anyway!

Wagtails
30th October 2009, 09:29 AM
Here is Theo, who MUST be rehomed with someone who has another dog for company:

http://dogsfriendsonline.webs.com/theothebest.JPG

and this is FRODO (not looking THAT happy at the moment)

http://dogsfriendsonline.webs.com/frodo.jpg

Tania
3rd November 2009, 03:57 PM
I have made enquiries about Frodo, he sounds like another Dougall, soft and gentle. I have been told I have to have home check which is fine or if not I can go and visit him. I was suprised at this as I could say I am anyone, does that sound right? Someone is looking at him this evening, the Foster Lady will ring me if he is still available, if he is we will apply for him.:xfngr:

Tania
3rd November 2009, 05:10 PM
We are going to see him Sunday :)

diddy
3rd November 2009, 06:23 PM
Fingrs crossed for you on Sunday.

Karen and Ruby
4th November 2009, 01:44 AM
:w*w:TANIA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have every single thing crossed for you- how wonderful!!
Good Luck and please let us know how it goes;)

Wagtails
4th November 2009, 10:32 AM
Oh, Tania, that is SUCH good news and we've got everything crossed for you on Sunday.

TBH, I feel that the rescue concerned OUGHT always to do home checks, especially in the light of what others on this Board tell us may go on with people pretending to be other than what they really are icon_nwunsure

However, WE know that yours would be an excellent home for Frodo and we look forward to hearing how you get on.

Could you find out what is happening about Theo too please?

Many thanks, Marie-Anne

Tania
4th November 2009, 01:22 PM
Frodo was rehomed last night :mad: A home check was not done and apparently no identification is needed either. It is just done on judgement and a contract !! I expressed my concern to the Rescue Place especially as Frodo is not spayed, they have not replied. I am very involved with RAIN locally (Rescued Animals In Need) I know how strict and careful they are at making sure a home visit is done. I am very disappointed about Frodo, I hope he has gone to a good home, I felt he would have been perfect for Molly and Dougall.

Tania
4th November 2009, 02:14 PM
Still trying to find out the situation regarding Theo, have sent an e mail and the phone is constantly engaged, will keep trying!

Karlin
4th November 2009, 02:44 PM
It is a shame that spaying and neutering are not standard for rescue dogs, especially those that might have come in from puppy farms to start with. Many will simply go on to be bred elsewhere. :x

Perhaps some rescues do not realise many vets will make discount arrangements with rescues for neutering and this cost can easily be retrieved as part of a homing donation for the rescue. Owners also appreciate getting these tasks done for them at a lower cost.

I just had a similar issue with an apparent 'rescue' that had rehomed an unneutered male even though I'd made clear I could have this done for the original or new owner.

Kizzys Mum
4th November 2009, 05:43 PM
Oh that's really bad, I'm sorry Tania, I'm sure you would've been perfect for him :(
I would keep an eye on the website though, because they do get a fair number of dogs returned (usually for stupid reasons) - now we know why! I hope the right dog comes along soon for you :)

misty
4th November 2009, 08:05 PM
Karlin, please move/delete this if you wish because it's not about these dogs in particular.

I feel it is VITAL that all rescues home-check and neuter - even with the tightest of controls in place, sometimes unscrupulous breeders will go to any lengths to get hold of a desirable unneutered bitch or dog. Believe, I'm speaking from experience :(.

Wagtails
5th November 2009, 12:00 AM
So sorry for your disappointment, Tania, and hope that the right dog for you will come along very soon - I'm sure it will as there seem to be so many in rescues at the moment.

I'm mystified by what has happened to Frodo. The "Adopting a Dog" section of the Dogsfriends website states clearly:

All adult males are neutered except in exceptional circumstances (e.g. a very elderly dog).

Any potential adoptors are visited at home to ensure their accomodation is suitable for their chosen dog.

So I wonder what has gone wrong with their system on this occasion?

Tania
5th November 2009, 11:54 AM
Oh, Tania, that is SUCH good news and we've got everything crossed for you on Sunday.

TBH, I feel that the rescue concerned OUGHT always to do home checks, especially in the light of what others on this Board tell us may go on with people pretending to be other than what they really are icon_nwunsure

However, WE know that yours would be an excellent home for Frodo and we look forward to hearing how you get on.

Could you find out what is happening about Theo too please?

Many thanks, Marie-Anne
UPDATE
The lady who runs the rescue centre has just informed me Theo is going for fostering on Friday. She also investigated what was happening with Frodo. Apparently he is being re-homed to a know Foster Parent and will be neutered after he has settled in, she said this was why they didn't need to do a home visit. Which is fine but that was not what I was told by the fosterer yesterday. Hope it all works out for little Frodo!

Wagtails
5th November 2009, 06:47 PM
Good of you to update us, Tania. Obviously a lot of "mixed messages" around your experience, which is troubling for you, but at least it does sound as if Frodo has gone to a knowledgeable home.

As Kizzy's Mum said, it might be worth keeping an eye on their website though, just in case he does re-appear there.

Thanks for the info about Theo too - always good to know when they find good homes for those dogs with especial problems.

Good luck with your search - have you seen the two Cavs at Many Tears who are not available for rehoming just yet (Matilda and Mini - quite near the bottom of the Dogs for Adoption page at the moment)?

All best, Marie-Anne

Karlin
5th November 2009, 06:51 PM
I will also potentially home to the UK to board members, if I can make backup arrangements and people are willing to travel.

To clarify this thread: Theo is going to foster but remains available for rehoming? If that is the case I won;t indicate these dogs are homed yet on the thread.