PDA

View Full Version : News: Strangers more 'friendly' if with a dog

Karlin
28th October 2009, 01:54 AM
This is curious!

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/life/Dogs+make+stranger+encounters+more+friendly+survey/2151459/story.html

I'd not have thought a bernese would be more appealing than a cavalier -- they are big dogs and I'd have thought a bit intimidating! Some people just don't have taste... :lol:

Holly
28th October 2009, 02:04 AM
Unfortunately, this happened here in the North Georgia mountains last year. A young girl was hiking with her dog and ran into an older man, also with a dog. Apparenly, other hikers saw the two together with their dogs. The girl disappeared and was killed by this man. They say he used the dog to make him apear more trustworthy-- turned out he had killed other people, as well. Very sad story. This is a link to it:

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,340810,00.html?loomia_ow=t0:s0:a16:g12:r5:c 0.530325:b25781242:z10

I always try to be wary of people when I'm out with the dogs bc it's so easy to trust people and strike up conversation about the dogs.

Kate H
28th October 2009, 12:01 PM
A few years ago my parish priest looked after Oliver for a day. Handing him back he said every vicar should have a dog - he'd spoken to parishioners he'd never seen before, simply because they stopped to say hello to Oliver! Chatting in the street (as we do frequently) is one thing - going off on a hike with a totally unknown man, however nice his dog, is quite another...

Kate, Oliver and Aled

Karlin
28th October 2009, 12:08 PM
Kate I can believe it. Lots of neighbours old and young stop to talk to me when I walk the dogs. And of course all of us with dogs know everyone else with dogs, but only by our dogs' names! :lol:

That hiking story is creepy though! :eek:

pippa
28th October 2009, 01:00 PM
Kate I can believe it. Lots of neighbours old and young stop to talk to me when I walk the dogs. And of course all of us with dogs know everyone else with dogs, but only by our dogs' names! :lol:

That hiking story is creepy though! :eek:

The hiking story is scary and sad.

I have lived here for eight years and in the last year since gettin DJ have talked to more neighbours than I ever did...because he needed very special trianing eg. short walks just a few houses away and building up from there,and because of his intense barking at people and dogs everyone wanted to know who the NEW dog was,where I got him,why he was walked alone without Pippin and Gus?, and all heard his story.

People started to comment on how well he was doing when we were out and stop to talk to him and gently approach him..it became like a neighbourhood effort to help him!

It's funny what you say about knowing people by the dogs names. When talking about someone we met or something that happened locally, we often say scoobies,dragons,etc, owners, sometimes it's the only way we know who the other person is talking about :lol: