• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Safety of Kongs?

heather r

I was washing our kong for our golden and noticed she hadn't eaten all her treat. When I put my fingers in the black kong they came back with a black residue. I don't think it is mols; feels more rubbery. Since the kong is fairly new, I'm wondering how good this material is both for her and Abigail (has much smaller kong)?

Any thoughts?

Heather R

Well, they need to be washed in hot water after use or the food can decay. I clean them out and run them thru the top rack of the dishwasher. It isn't the safety of kongs per se, it is the need to keep them sterile and clean right after use. (y)

Good advice to clean it out after play. I only put dry kibble in Sophie's, and she manages to get every bit of kibble out. If you're putting meat or cheese products, that could be mold, which can make your dog sick. Dishwasher would sterilize well. Using a bottle brush (the type for infant formula) before putting in dishwasher would be a good idea, too.

I only put dry treat in kong and wash it out right away. This wasn't food or mold as it felt more rubbery,was black like the kong and difficult to get off my fingers.

I've e-mailed kong manufacturer to see if the kong might be defective.

Heather R

Kongs have a good reputation and are quite popular. Perhaps yours was defective. Was it inside the house, or out in the yard? If outdoors, something might have crawled into it.

Waldor, no the kong is kept in the house and given only in the evening.

Luckily I have another one to use.

Heather R

Back