PDA

View Full Version : Anyone own a Roomba?

hbmama
29th October 2009, 05:32 AM
I have been toying with the idea of purchasing a Roomba (one of those weird round robot vacs that float around on the floor all day long picking up lint and dustbunnies.)

We have hardwood floors with area rugs, and no matter how often I sweep or swiffer, my bouncy little hair factories deposit more for me to clean up.:v*cuum:

Anyone out there tried one of these pricey but intriguing devices? I am not sure if they would work for perpetual pet hair, as I am guessing they would get clogged up on a regular basis. But, I thought I would throw it out there in case anyone has a personal experience, good, bad or otherwise.

I do love my hand held Dyson though. Purchased that on recommendation from others here. Great for corner dust bunnies and stairs. Anyone??

antigone
29th October 2009, 06:01 AM
I don't own a Roomba but I understand that dogs HATE them! I also heard that if you have one and your dogs hate it, sometimes it works to "scold" the Roomba! You turn away from the dog and toward the Roomba, shake your finger and say, "BAD Roomba! BAD Roomba." Then the dog knows that the Roomba does not outrank him/her/them.

Kathy

Karlin
29th October 2009, 11:27 AM
my bouncy little hair factories

:rotfl:

I know people who have Roombas and like them. At least one person with multiple dogs on one of the breeder lists has one and loves it.

Adore the Dyson handhelds for spot cleaning and doing furniture and stairs rather than rolling out the large vacuum. I have the latest one on a trial -- it is really nice because it no longer needs that charger base; you just plug a cord into the back as you would a laptop. It has a 10 minute or so charge now and is quieter. They def. improved all the things that could be improved. Dyson is my handheld of choice.

Chuck
29th October 2009, 11:48 AM
I have a Roomba, and like it for hard wood floors, gets under beds too! No problem with the dogs, they pay no attention to it unless it comes up and bumps them. If your throw rugs have fringe, forget it!

meljoy
29th October 2009, 11:45 PM
My friend has a roomba and brought it here once to show it off.

Leo was really afraid of it and spent the whole time stalking it:biggrin: then when it went in to my dinning room we heard a really weird sound and on investigating it had "eaten" the bottom of my blinds:lpy:

I didnt bother to purchase one but my friend loves his:biggrin:

Mel

Joye
30th October 2009, 03:51 PM
Can't live without it! Charlie used to follow it and kinda try to get ahold of the little feathery broom piece, but he ignores it now. Penny being the puppy still tries to attack it, but neither are afraid of it.

It can do the living room while I do another room. Does well on my rugs.

hbmama
30th October 2009, 05:00 PM
Thanks for all of the responses so far. I have looked at some of the reviews on amazon.com and most are pretty favorable, though the pet hair seems to be the catalyst in the ones that tangle up or malfunction,icon_nwunsureand of course, that is the only reason I really want one, to keep that in check.

For those of you that own, is the cleaning a real pain each time it makes the rounds, and which model seems to work the best? There are several out there, 550, 570, pet version,etc.

I am leaning toward this as my Christmas gift. (You can tell I have crossed over to the dark side of middle age, now cleaning aids excite me more than fine jewelry!) :rolleyes:

hbmama
30th October 2009, 05:02 PM
...Ooops, what I meant was, is cleaning the UNIT itself (taking it apart, cutting out the hair,etc.) a pain each time it completes the cleaning cycle in the room.....

Claire L
31st October 2009, 02:09 PM
:rotfl:

I know people who have Roombas and like them. At least one person with multiple dogs on one of the breeder lists has one and loves it.

Adore the Dyson handhelds for spot cleaning and doing furniture and stairs rather than rolling out the large vacuum. I have the latest one on a trial -- it is really nice because it no longer needs that charger base; you just plug a cord into the back as you would a laptop. It has a 10 minute or so charge now and is quieter. They def. improved all the things that could be improved. Dyson is my handheld of choice.

Can you give me the model number or a link to the one that you are trialing at the moment. I'm considering getting one for the stairs and car.

Shelli
31st October 2009, 02:18 PM
I have the handheld Dyson and find it great for the stairs. The only downside is it takes 3 hours to charge and you only get 6 minutes. The new one sounds much better, might have to upgrade icon_whistling