• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

hello everyone!

maguire

hi there, i just got my first cavalier king charles 2 weeks ago and he has changed my life!, he is so naughty but his cuteness lets him away with everything! his name is cooper and he is 11 weeks old.
i feed him nothing but his own royal canin puppy food, however yesterday my friend had given him some treats belonging to her own dogs and since and hour afterwards he has had terrible diarreah all day and night. it seems to have begun to return to normal this morning but he looks so tired and unhappy where he normally would be mad to play. has anyone experienced sensitivity to food like this with their pals?
its so hard to see him poorlyh*lp

Welcome to the board!

Given the age of your new puppy, I'd immediately call your vet for advice -- the advice may well be to get him in to the vet. It may not be the treats but actual illness and with pupies it is always better to be safe than sorry as their immune systems are so weak. Any time a puppy has the runs and gets listless this can be a critical set of signs of serious illness. Puppies can go downhill in 24 hours so any listlessness is ALWAYS a sign that the vet needs to be contacted right away. The runs are common but when it is as bas as you are describing I'd not hesitate to talk to the vet.

Don;t forget, if your puppy is not 2 weeks beyond his final vaccination set it is critical that he not be walked outside or introduced to adult dogs that may have been in contact with distemper or parvo. The pup will have no immunity and these are killer diseases. For this reason, be sure to ring your vet right away and get their advice. There's a recent post on the problem of parvo with puppies and the need for great caution til vaccines are finished in the main news section. That will give you some important background info. The info comes from TV3 vet Pete Wedderburn. (y)

Greetings from Colorado

I just joined and will be trying to gain some information on SM. My Cavalier is 2 1/2 and has started scratching. I will go to that area to post. Even if we don't have him for a long period of time it was definately worth it. They are the greatest dogs, so sweet.

thank you for your response. i did call the vetrenary nurse last nite and the vet this morning, so he is fasting at the minute and going on a diet of chicken and rice for a few days. they seemed confident that its most likely a reaction to the food causing stomach upset. so i am doing what ive been advised but will be happy to see him eating and pooping normally soon. he is in much better form now though bouncing and playing so im trying not to worry too much and will give him a chance tonite and see.
thanks for the pointer on socializing too early, i am being careful with him until his 7 in 1 on saturday, he hasnt been out at all except to my friends, who's dogs are fully vaccinated, the vet said that would be fine.
so looking forward to getting him out walking and exploring in a few weeks!!:xfngr:
trying to get accustomed to uploading pictures of cooper so hopefully this link will work.
44107229@N05

That sounds good; glad you got some good advice and hope he will be back to normal soon! Let us know how he is doing tomorrow. :)

thank you all, the little fella is doing great he seems to be back to normal today and full of mischief!

Welcome to you and Cooper! Hopefully with the assistance of his vet, he is on the mend. :xfngr:

Will look forward to pics and posts!

icon_welcometo you and Cooper! I'm glad that he is doing better with his food.

I've learned the hard way that any new food has to be very slowly introduced over a period of at least 2 weeks or pups and adult dogs' stomachs don't reat very well.

Looking forward to photos of Cooper.

Heather R

icon_welcometo you and Cooper. It seems like at that age anything can give them diarrhea.

Back