• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Cavaliers and chicken

gloucester girl

Does anyone know what the chances are that our nearly 13 year old male cavalier will get used to chickens?
We had a trial run today, and Frankie turned into a BEAST! He barked madly, flung himself at the chicken run and scratched the door when locked in the house. The poor chicks which are being raised by a neighbour at the moment were already traumatised as they had been attacked by rats the previous night. They had come around ours for a safe haven!!
Do we have any chance?
:lpy: Susanne & Frankie

hmmm, I don't think chickens would do well at my house, either. Remember, cavaliers are not only companion dogs, but come from bird dogs (flushing dogs) as well.
Don't hold your breath.

I think it will take a lot of time and effort to get a dog that old to adjust to chickens. generally you want to have introduced small animals like this when the dog is a pup. The priority is to keep the chickens safe -- you need to keep him on a lead when anywhere near the birds.

To him they are simply birds to chase. Dogs are dogs -- many have a strong prey instinct.

I agree with Karlin. My 2 normally calm "old girls" get very stirred up by the sound of my neighbour's chickens and geese, and the younger one is driven demented as the leaves come off the hedges between us and she can actually see the birds.

She was brought up in an urban environment until I took her over at 6 months old and had never been exposed to pheasants. But from the very first day here she seemed to know what they were, and still goes crazy when she hears the characteristic call.

I would LOVE some chickens, but I just know I can't have any while we've got older dogs. :(

Well, I have 17 chickens, all free range in the garden (admittedly, it is half an acre!) and 3 cavs.
We moved here 2 years ago, with two dogs, and had the chickens a year later. They have never bothered with the chickens, even Harry who has only been here a year, he is 12 years old and a rescue.
I always knew it - my dogs are perfect!!

Frankie

Thank you very much for all your advice. We are thinking that the chickens might have to wait. Such a shame! But it would be much too stressful for all concerned...Frankie is such a chilled out old boy normally - we were quite surprised to see him reveal his wild side...
Susanne and Frankie, the would be chicken slayer...

Back