• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Is Bailey a Cavalier??

Bailey is 7 years old (we got him at 8 weeks) and were told at the time that he was an American Cocker Spaniel. We didnt really know the difference back then but as he grew we knew he wasnt a Cocker. Our vet told us years ago that he was actually a cavalier but he doesnt look quite like the cavaliers i've met. His fur just doesnt seem the same.

DSC_0026-1.jpg

DSC_0066.jpg

What a lovely picture of your two dogs. Just love the boxer with tongue out:)
I am no expert but Bailey's face looks very much like a Cavalier to me. Have you had his coat clipped or is it naturally very short? I would not worry about what he is anyway because he looks very handsome.

He could also be a cross between a cocker and a cavalier as this has been a common cross. It would be pretty unusual for a tricolour cavalier to have that much white -- and in build he does look a bit more cocker to me but it is hard to tell always from pictures. My guess though is that he is probably a cocker/cavalier cross? Head looks quite cavalier. Or more English cocker than American cocker (the latter have more extreme heads). He's a lovely boy as are your other dogs!

He is very lovely and looks like a cavalier to me. Cocker have MUCH lower set ears, for one. He certainly could be a mix, though. How is his fur usually when not clipped? How much does he weigh?

He weighs 20 pounds. I have never let his fur grow because he likes to get in the back yard and roll in any rabbit poor he can find. He hair seems very thick (no curl) but he does not get the whispy fur on the backs of his legs like the cavaliers have. They had already docked his tail (which is why my husband did not discount that he was a cocker). Here a shot of him before his last grooming when his hair was a little longer.

DSC_0067.jpg

DSC_0304.jpg

A fine fellow! :) Definitely not pure cavalier, could have been a cross from someone breeding a cockalier and a cocker. The build is definitely not a cavalier, more a cocker. He's a smallish dog at 20lbs.

On the other hand he could be a tri cocker with markings that are more cavalier-like -- just as likely. So maybe we are judging toomuch from seeing more cavaliers than cockers.

Check out these pics of other tri cockers:

http://pets.webshots.com/photo/1540724506043882616CKHeua

http://pets.webshots.com/photo/2053585920000595807HDaGwK

http://pets.webshots.com/photo/1116043407043882616NkTAEw

So if you were told he was a cocker it may be likely that he is, on reconsideration! I hadn't seen cockers before with markings so similar to CKCS.

Thanks for the information. I always thought he was too small to be a cocker and didnt really "look like" other cockers. Perhaps you're right about the cross breeding.

Thanks again!!

Well we are all fans here, and enjoying the pictures of him. Given his size I think you are right -- probably a mix of cav/cocker. :)

Have seen a few cockaliers and I would say Bailey is a cockalier for sure. Maybe even 1st generation as in Pedigree Cocker x Pedigree Cavalier rather 2nd or 3rd generation cockalier x cockalier which continues to dilute the breed type.

Bailey is a lovely looking dog. If I had`nt got a cavalier I would have loved a cocker spaniel, I think they are lovely, in fact I love the look of all spaniels.:)

Body shape wise, he looks like an American Cocker to me. His ears are quite high but this is prob just because they are shaved, when they are long they prob look lower. I would say he's a Cocker. His marking are quite unusual for a Cocker but I have seen stranger. His white areas are very clear, usually they would be more ticked (freckled) but he's a pretty little chap. I wouldn't say there is any Cavalier in him, he really looks like a Cocker (build, albeit a bit small, and face), he just has unusual markings.

He looks like a little sweetheart!

the shape of his eyes does not look cocker to me. I've had two cockers in my life and love them, but they tend to have a little droop to the lower lid, reminiscent of a basset hound.

he is very handsome whatever he is!

my guess tho would be a cavalier cross cocker :dgwlk:

lisa

Back