• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Peeing on rug

Rosewoodsteel

I normally walk Charlie on a regular basis.
I've been sick for the last 3 weeks and a virus has turned into a respiratory infection. During this period, my wife has been letting him out in the back yard so we assumed he was doing his business (he certainly has been doing his poohs out there). I smelled something recently, but thought it was the cat box. Well today, I discovered that the little sneak has been peeing on the dining room rug, so I pulled up the rug up and hit it with a strong urine neutralizer and baking soda.
But, I'm at a loss as to what to do.
When I walk him, everything is fine, but the weather has been miserable for over a week, which only exacterbates the problem (Charle hates to go outside in the rain).
Why will he pee when he's walked, but not when he is let out?
Is this a common trait of Cavs?

I told my wife that we'll have to confine him to the laundry room, as we did when he was a puppy, until we can get a handle on this.

Any suggestions on getting him to go when he is let out?

Thanks

You have two things to deal with. You need to accompany him to the back yard and stay out there with him while he pees so you can give him positive reinforcement for doing so. You also have to go back to restricting him inside like you would a puppy so he doesn't have a chance to pee inside without being caught (ideally you don't want it to happen at all, but you'd need to be able to catch him in the act, interrupt him and get him straight outside.)
I have found my girls like to pee on rugs or clothes/towels on the floor if they need to go and would rather not step on the wet grass, etc. I actually got rid of ALL rugs in areas they have access to and try to remember to keep the bathmats picked up or the door shut since it is something that seems to be a "weakness" here.

Agree with that advice! When mine have accidents -- cats or dogs -- it is always on rungs! But I'd also suggest having him to the vet -- peeing on indoor rugs as an adult is often a sign of a urinary tract infection and you'd want to check for that first. PS Hope you are feeling better!

Can only echo wht has been said. If it persists, do try bring him to the vet to make sure there is no physical reason he is peeing inside. Because he had been sick recently, and his routine has changed, it could be simple as he is a little out of whack and need some time to settle into routine again. Good luck and hope is is better soon!

Back