PDA

View Full Version : I can't buy bones any more!!!

Janice
3rd November 2009, 09:43 PM
I went to the butcher's today to see if I could get a nice medium sized raw bone for Reuben (having fed the odd marrowbone to my labs in the past).

I was told no. The butcher butchers a carcass, then he needs a license to sell them to a guy who comes in to collect them, and that guy needs a license to collect them, so no bones for Joe Public!

Does everyone have this problem?

HollyDolly
3rd November 2009, 10:13 PM
Not sure where you live but if in Uk try these:-

http://www.landywoods.co.uk/

Janice
4th November 2009, 12:36 AM
Ah thanks. i will look about for that type of place near me. It will prob be a lot of postage for heavy things like bones!!!

I am the south east, Hertfordshire/Essex border.

*Pauline*
4th November 2009, 12:41 AM
I'm in Essex and I just go to my local butcher.

maguire
4th November 2009, 12:42 AM
hi janice, i never heard of that problem. i know i often ask for bones at the butcher or meat counter, for stock in soup cooking like a shin or shank, im in ireland though.

HollyDolly
4th November 2009, 03:41 AM
It will prob be a lot of postage for heavy things like bones!!!

They deliver

Janice
4th November 2009, 10:14 AM
I'm in Essex and I just go to my local butcher.

Grrrr I must have a butcher with attitude!!! :D

*Pauline*
4th November 2009, 11:00 AM
Try Rayleigh Lanes on Rayleigh High St. if ever you are passing. There's a butcher at the back, it's an indoor market. Also one at Pitsea market.

Nicki
4th November 2009, 12:10 PM
Try looking for a wholesale butcher, but not sure of minimum quantities.

My local butchers won't sell pet mince anymore, they say it's due to VAT regulations!!!

Janice
4th November 2009, 02:06 PM
Thanks all, I will ask about a bit I think. I only wanted one or two for starters as he is such a fussy eater I wanted to see if he likes them before buying in bulk!! :D

I will get some value spare ribs or pork strips from Tesco and see how he goes with those.

*Pauline*
4th November 2009, 02:22 PM
Don't forget that with beef any meat exposed to the air can have bacteria. I pour boiling water from the kettle over mine and keep the rest in the freezer.

Nicki
4th November 2009, 03:21 PM
Freezing, ideally for 2 weeks, destroys bacteria.

Don't forget that dogs' stomachs are far better coping with bacteria than ours too :D just think of the rubbish they manage to pick up and consume with no problems.

If the dog isn't sure about a chicken wing etc, try flash frying it, leave to cool for a couple of minutes and then feed - sometimes that gets them going.

Lamb or pork ribs are usually popular, lumps of pork tend to give mine the runs. They love chicken thighs or wings, rabbit {someone locally shoots rabbits and gives them to me for the dogs. I freeze it in portions and they go mad for it.}

We still feed some kibble, mainly fish4dogs now, which is fish and potato, very good quality at a reasonable price.

I have done lots of research into natural feeding over the years, Dr Richard Pitcairn's book is very helpful, I also found this website offered very sensible advice

http://moellgaard.dk/english/dogs/barf/barf_feeding.htm

We also do some home cooking. We're gradually introducing veg - mainly green leafy veg, which is pureed; hard squash such as pumpkin need to be cooked - I tried that yesterday and they love it!!

The Britbarf yahoo group is very helpful too. http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/BritBarf/

You're aiming to feed about 3% of the dog's bodyweight per day - so for a 10kg dog, 300g.

A max of 15% bone {chicken wings are 30 - 35%} - you judge this on the consistency of the stools - if they are runny, then they need more bone. Constipation = too much bone.

Muscle meat, which for raw feeding purpose includes the 'offals' tripe, tongue and heart should be around 60-70%, and glandular organs such as liver and kidney from 10-20%. The latter need to be introduced carefully in small amounts.

Some people feed veg - I think this gives vitamins etc, mine love veg and fruit, the pups adore bananas LOL I'm aiming for 2 tablespoons per day.

That should give you a start point - really you need to judge it on how your dog is looking on the diet.