• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

I can't buy bones any more!!!

Janice

I went to the butcher's today to see if I could get a nice medium sized raw bone for Reuben (having fed the odd marrowbone to my labs in the past).

I was told no. The butcher butchers a carcass, then he needs a license to sell them to a guy who comes in to collect them, and that guy needs a license to collect them, so no bones for Joe Public!

Does everyone have this problem?

Ah thanks. i will look about for that type of place near me. It will prob be a lot of postage for heavy things like bones!!!

I am the south east, Hertfordshire/Essex border.

hi janice, i never heard of that problem. i know i often ask for bones at the butcher or meat counter, for stock in soup cooking like a shin or shank, im in ireland though.

Try Rayleigh Lanes on Rayleigh High St. if ever you are passing. There's a butcher at the back, it's an indoor market. Also one at Pitsea market.

Try looking for a wholesale butcher, but not sure of minimum quantities.

My local butchers won't sell pet mince anymore, they say it's due to VAT regulations!!!

Thanks all, I will ask about a bit I think. I only wanted one or two for starters as he is such a fussy eater I wanted to see if he likes them before buying in bulk!! :D

I will get some value spare ribs or pork strips from Tesco and see how he goes with those.

Don't forget that with beef any meat exposed to the air can have bacteria. I pour boiling water from the kettle over mine and keep the rest in the freezer.

Freezing, ideally for 2 weeks, destroys bacteria.

Don't forget that dogs' stomachs are far better coping with bacteria than ours too :D just think of the rubbish they manage to pick up and consume with no problems.

If the dog isn't sure about a chicken wing etc, try flash frying it, leave to cool for a couple of minutes and then feed - sometimes that gets them going.

Lamb or pork ribs are usually popular, lumps of pork tend to give mine the runs. They love chicken thighs or wings, rabbit {someone locally shoots rabbits and gives them to me for the dogs. I freeze it in portions and they go mad for it.}

We still feed some kibble, mainly fish4dogs now, which is fish and potato, very good quality at a reasonable price.

I have done lots of research into natural feeding over the years, Dr Richard Pitcairn's book is very helpful, I also found this website offered very sensible advice

http://moellgaard.dk/english/dogs/barf/barf_feeding.htm

We also do some home cooking. We're gradually introducing veg - mainly green leafy veg, which is pureed; hard squash such as pumpkin need to be cooked - I tried that yesterday and they love it!!

The Britbarf yahoo group is very helpful too. http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/BritBarf/

You're aiming to feed about 3% of the dog's bodyweight per day - so for a 10kg dog, 300g.

A max of 15% bone {chicken wings are 30 - 35%} - you judge this on the consistency of the stools - if they are runny, then they need more bone. Constipation = too much bone.

Muscle meat, which for raw feeding purpose includes the 'offals' tripe, tongue and heart should be around 60-70%, and glandular organs such as liver and kidney from 10-20%. The latter need to be introduced carefully in small amounts.

Some people feed veg - I think this gives vitamins etc, mine love veg and fruit, the pups adore bananas LOL I'm aiming for 2 tablespoons per day.

That should give you a start point - really you need to judge it on how your dog is looking on the diet.

Back