PDA

View Full Version : HOMED: Dublin: Stitch, 3 yr old ruby male

Karlin
27th October 2009, 01:07 PM
I have Stitch, a young male cavalier coming into rescue. He has been a family pet and loves children, including young kids, and gets along with other dogs. His owner is working two jobs due to economic circumstances and he is home alone and she rightly feels he would do better in an active family situation.

Stitch has had some major challenges so far in his young life. He came from one of the CRAP large scale breeders in Wicklow who didn't want to know anything about the fact that she had bred a dog with two luxatting patellas and an irregular heartbeat. :swear: I am well aware of this woman who advertises herself on her website as a 'family' kennel when puppy farmer is a better term. I have had other rescue dogs come in of her breeding and wish she could be put out of business. At least one vet has reported her as a puppy farmer. (NB: please do NOT buy puppies from any Wicklow-based cavalier breeders with websites without PMing me first for advice! These people always will seem so friendly until you have an issue you need resolved. Then they change their phone numbers or stop taking calls).

Stitch had both his knees done so has no problems with patellas. :) However he does have his heart issue. This may or may not have any effect at all on his future (as with cavalier heart problems generally). I will be getting him to my vet for further information but I understand he is not on medication and his heart is not an issue for him at all at this time, just something to watch for.

In short this is a great family dog but in need of some training. A condition of homing will be a basic obedience class at Dog Training Ireland. :)

Pictures to come.

He will be neutered, chipped, and all the usuals before being rehomed.

Right now, he needs a foster and needs to go for his snip and chip. I would like to get him into a foster place this week.

Karlin
30th October 2009, 07:27 PM
Foster sorted, this little guy went to Thelly today. She says he is bright and lively and a smallish sized but solid cavalier! He was running around checking out her place. Next step will be to get him to the vet to get more info on his general shape. :)

Thelly
2nd November 2009, 02:54 PM
Finally some pics of Stitch. Getting on well with my gang (even LouLou!) and the visitors.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2758/4068579854_70dd3e360c.jpg
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3512/4067826807_7edcab0c13.jpg
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2602/4068584190_8b07108808.jpg
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2672/4067831271_2d48646d78.jpg

Karlin
5th November 2009, 05:15 PM
Stitch has been to the vet this week and the vet says he has a mild murmur of about grade 2 but needs no medication for it.

He also had a mild seizure while out on a walk. He has no past history of problems, and he has had a blood workup done this week, which came back clear and good.

He also rebounded very quickly from the seizure and was up and about right away, also a good sign.

The vets say he could have epilepsy (there is no test for epilepsy so no way to verify whether he has it or not) and that if this recurred with any frequency, he could be medicated for it. Epilepsy is another of those conditions which is considered a known breed issue in cavaliers. My understanding is that wholecolours may be more predisposed. On the other hand dogs do occasionally get seizures for no apparent reason as a once-off and vets describe seizures as a 'common' issue in dogs. So: this would be an issue to watch for, but that may never recur.

Stitch is insured at this time and we believe the insurance will transfer to a new owner.

He will be neutered. He is playful and outgoing and would like a home that will give him moderate walks, but not expect long, energetic walks. He would be fine with older children (10+). He is housetrained too!

Brian M
5th November 2009, 05:52 PM
Hi

Best wishes to him ,Rubys always look so beautiful ,Oh how I wish.:)

Karlin
5th November 2009, 06:46 PM
Now up on www.ckcsrescue.com with application link, and out on Twitter. :)

Karlin
6th November 2009, 09:37 PM
Talked to vet today; she says he is pretty much all clear for other causes of seizures Could just be a once off or possibly may be epilepsy. He goes for his snips next week. Really happy, energetic little ruby boy.

Brian M
6th November 2009, 09:54 PM
Hi

He does look a smasher best wishes to him ,and good luck next week ,keep quiet and Karlin might just forget.:)

aquaceri
12th November 2009, 12:31 PM
He is just adorable - and brave .... cruel evil puppy farmers :(

Karlin
12th November 2009, 01:36 PM
Has had his snips and is a really great little guy. A couple of possible homes for him.

Vonniemc
12th November 2009, 01:38 PM
Thats great, I really hope he finds the home he deserves, wish i was in a better position to take him :(

angela j
12th November 2009, 01:52 PM
Hi, new member and excuse my ignorance/stupidity but I think I've just got the idea that this website is based in Ireland?..am I right there. Am looking to re-home a cav (currently have a 4 yr old boy blenheim) - has anyone from the UK re-homed from Ireland, if so what problems occur from transporting a dog & what are the costs involved. Or is just not not fair on the dog to travel so far and do the costs make it un-doable?

Again, excuse my questions if they seem at all daft to you, but new to this site and trying to understand the workings of it all. icon_nwunsure

Angela

Karlin
12th November 2009, 03:10 PM
Hi Angela: I like to keep each rescue thread focused on the rescue dog rather than have it go off topic, so to continue this discussion, just set up a separate thread. :) But a quick answer -- I run the site and am based in Ireland but our membership is worldwide and rescue dogs from anywhere may be posted. I also run an Irish rescue. I rarely rehome to the UK and to do so must be able to work in tandem with a rescue known to me. In those rare situations I generally would expect people to come over and transport the dog back by ferry.

However there are many, many cavaliers in the UK seeking homes and regularly posted to this section. If you are UK based it makes more sense to contact the breed rescue groups and check in here to se if dogs are posted. I have UK rescue contacts pinned to the top of this section.

angela j
13th November 2009, 02:35 PM
Thanks for the reply Karlin, message received and understood :p

Karlin
17th November 2009, 05:25 PM
Homed. :)

Shelli
17th November 2009, 05:27 PM
Great news :mexwav:

Vonniemc
17th November 2009, 05:38 PM
Thats brilliant news :) knew he wouldn't be waiting long for a lovely home :)

Desrae
17th November 2009, 05:58 PM
That's GREAT news. So glad to hear he's got his forever home.:mexwav:

Nicki
17th November 2009, 06:21 PM
Fantastic news Karlin, well done :mexwav:

LoneStar Hoopy
17th November 2009, 07:05 PM
What a handsome boy! I love ruby's! I am thinking my next one will be a ruby!

Wagtails
17th November 2009, 10:33 PM
Excellent news, Karlin. You certainly worked extra hard for this little lad.

Good luck, Stitchb*n*n*

aquaceri
19th November 2009, 08:56 PM
Hi

I just thought I would introduce myself, I will be Stitches new mum along with my two daughters and his doggy brother will be Ben a twelve year old yorkie! we are all very excited about him joining our family, we have been looking for a cav ever since we saw a little black and tan in dogs trust and we fell in love with the breed...

We will probably be on looking for lots of advice in the future so thanks in advance cl*p

I will post some pictures when he has settled in and keep you all updated on his progress..

Karlin, I will contact you tomorrow at some stage for a chat to tie everything up.

Thanks again:w**h**: