• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Am I expecting too much; or, why I may never have the pleasure of owning a Cavalier

lissa

Hello everyone,

I have never posted on this forum, but have been a member for some time. I generally use forums to research and this particular forum has been a gem (thank you!). I have been interested in the breed for years and have truly loved all but one of the Cavaliers I have met. Their personality/temperament is exactly what I’m looking for and I feel would fit into our lives perfectly. I am lucky enough to have a job that doesn’t require much time from home and when I do go in to work, I can bring my dog with me. I’d also love to get back into dog sports (our current boy is too old for “those silly games” ;) and love the working attitude of the Cavaliers I have seen.

Unfortunately, I have to say that I’m terrified to get a Cavalier though. With all the health problems, I just don’t know if I can in good conscious support/buy a breed that suffers from such painful issues. I have two friends that have dogs with SM and it breaks my heart to see them suffer. Previously I had believed, with careful research and screening of breeders, I could find a breeder/line that would be healthy. Thus far I have found that when I ask about health testing that follows the current protocols, I either do not receive a reply or am told in a variety of tones (from rude and condescending to fairly collegial) that all these tests are not necessary (for a variety of reasons), or that they do some tests, but not others. I’ve also been told all purebreds have problems (which I recognize) and that the breed has been unjustly represented. I truly feel, however, after reading all the health studies and reports, these breeders are not being realistic about their breed.

In my searches for my previous dogs, I would ask about health clearances, training methods (I’m a “clicker trainer”), food choices, vaccines, etc. With the Cavalier, I can’t seem to find a breeder that adheres to the suggested protocols, never mind getting into questions of training, etc.

It is upsetting to admit that I will probably have to go with a different breed that is less suited to our lifestyle because I cannot seem to find someone that lives up to my expectations. Am I expecting too much of a breeder? I don’t think so as I have found other breeders in other breeds that exceeded my expectations.

I don’t mean to sound rude or aggressive, but I just find it terribly frustrating to find a breed that I thought would be perfect for our lives and be disappointed. I thought I would post here hoping there are breeders out there that do follow health screening protocols that I just haven’t found. I appreciate the honesty and candid information that I’ve found on this board. Even if we don’t get a Cavalier, I will always try to support the health research in the breed (with the hope that some day these issues can be reduced, if not solved).

Again, I don’t mean to offend or upset anyone. I do really love the breed and am just exasperated.

Humbly,
Lissa

Thanks for putting into words what so many of us see as the serious problems that are there for anyone considering a cavalier and the enormous difficulty in getting some breeders to acknowledge there is an issue or that they should bother with testing. Many of us who feel strongly about this get told that we make up stories like yours but yours echoes what I hear week in and week out from puppy buyers. :x It seems that APGAW is correct in their report in surmising that breeders may have to be compelled to focus on health or it simply won;t happen. The dilemma you face is one that will ring true for many.

Fortunately there are also some great breeders out there who are doing their best to use the existing breeding recommendations and would be VERY happy to talk to an informed buyer that places the same premium on good health and good breeding that you do. It is very sad that so many who claim to be concerned about health make the puppy buying environment one in which every breeder hides what it is that they do, good or bad. Believe it or not, but there's huge pressure not to advertise that you do basic health testing -- but surely if all those who firmly believe they don't need to test or follow health guidelines are so sure of their approach, they should not feel intimidated by others who want to let other breeders and buyers for whom this matters, know they do? Sadly there's pressure to slump down to the lowest common denominator which as intelligent people will realise, is clearly little better than the puppy farms and BYBs these breeders claim to despise.

Please send me a PM to let me know where you are based and I will see if we can start you on a far less gruelling and more intelligent experience in dealing with breeders as there are some excellent ones. (y)

The breed has many major issues but by supporting those health focused breeders, buyers of puppies greatly improve their odds and get a very direct and influential say in how important they feel a healthful future is for cavaliers. :)

There are ways to limit the risk for health problems in dogs. Find a breeder that fits with your views well before there are cute puppies to see. But nothing can guarantee that you pup will grow well into old age with few issues.
My first dog lived to be 17- the second almost 15. Then I got two dogs that didn't live to be 4. None of the above were cavaliers.
I now live with a pack of cavaliers and I hope to NEVER be without at least one by my side. Whatever 'life' hands my dogs-- I will give my dogs the best life possible.

Im sure you will get a lovely cavalier if you wait for the right one, im sure karlin and margaret can give you some names of breeders that do everything to ensure the breed is as healthy as possible. One day we get a post from you with a picture of a puppy. di

There has been breeders health checking their dogs for quite some years now, but unfortunately they are on the whole the 'smaller' breeders who have found it wise to keep a low profile.

I have a list of breeders, I don't actually recommend them as I cannot be sure that all the litters produced are bred to the health protocols, but it is a place to start and they do know buyers will be asking for certificates.

The problem at the moment is that there is just not enough names on the list to satisfy the demand for health checked puppies in the UK and abroad.

Hopefully that is going to change as more mature bitches are scanned and bred. I do believe that more breeders are biting the bullet, scanning their breeding cavaliers, and breeding with the protocols in mind.

It would be good to hear about any such litters planned or already whelped. There are a lot of people waiting for such puppies.

lissa I feel your frustration. When I was looking for Max most of my e-mails to breeders were not answered. When I started looking for Rylie (thinking it would take more time) I was lucky enough to hit the jackpot with the first breeder I contacted. She did not have puppies available but was able to point me in the direction of other health testing breeders. All the breeders I talked to and e-mailed with in my search for Rylie were very helpful and informative whether or not they had puppies.

I suppose it depends a lot on where you are.

Lissa; I understand your fears. Three years ago after our 2nd golden retriever died, I was looking for a smaller dog . Having heard and seen cavaliers, I researched breed and decided not to get one because of the health concerns you mention.

We got a beautiful golden but the idea of a cavalier was still there. So after more research I was able to find a breeder who did careful breeding. Long story short our Abigail is now a 1 1/4 yr. wonderful addition to our home.

I realize problems may occur but they did also in our last golden. Best of luck and these are amazing companions.

Heather R

Am I expecting too much;or, why I may never have the Pleasure of owning a Cavalier.

Thank you Karlin and Margaret for your replies to Lissa.

Rome was'nt built in a Day , but maybe with Margaret's List at least Prospective Cavalier Buyers who want to give their Cavalier the Chance of having a Healthier ,Longer Life, will now have a contact with both Margaret and Karlin.

We know that there is no guarantee that Cavaliers won't develope a Health Problem in their Life-Time, but at least the Cavalier Buyer will know that they are dealing with a Cavalier Breeder who is Health Testing their Breeding Stock.

I have mentioned this before ,and here goes again, why can't the UK CKCS CLUB publish a List of Breeders who Health Test their Breeding Stock.

The same old excuse is always dragged out , it's for the Cavalier Breeders benefit..not any-body else's ,.

Well it's not ,it's for Cavalier Buyers.

An interesting mention caught my eye when reading the APGAW Report ,that a Breeder who Breeds 5 Litters a year is considered a Commercial Breeder.

According to the Dictionary definition ,Commercial means Business,I don't know how many Litters Cavalier Breeders will Breed in a year ,but if 5, those Cavalier Breeders according to the APGAW Committee are considered Commercial Breeders.Then does it not follow on those Cavalier Breeders are running a Business, so consideration has to be being given to the Cavaliers they are selling, and Cavalier buyers are not treated in way that Lissa and others interested in buying a Cavalier are at the moment by some Cavalier Breeders.

I used to be Cavalier Breed Advisor for DOGS TODAY ,and when asked if I knew of any Cavalier Puppies for sale, I would put them onto Cavalier Breeders in their area,I always mentioned to the Prospective Cavalier Buyer,ask if the Cavalier Breeder has a Health Certifiicate to show they have carried out Health Tests on their Cavalier Breeding Stock ,and quite a few have come back to me in tears at the abusive remarks they had received from the Cavalier Breeder.

I think maybe the answer to this could be ,if a Cavalier Buyer receives abuse like this when asking Questions about the Cavalier Breeder's Breeding Practices,then that Cavalier Breeder should be Reported both to the UK CKCS CLUB and the Kennel CLUB.

What are other Folk's views about this. ?

It's going to be difficult for us to tell Cavalier Buyers to ask about Health Tests, etc, if some Cavalier Breeders are going to treat the Cavalier Breeder with abuse.

I think we need to accept that there is an element of risk when buying a cavalier puppy,even when parents and grandparents have been screened.
There are no absolute guarantees when dealing with a living creature.
There's always a strong interest in breeders who test and who have been long established,so yes you must be prepared to wait.
Having said that, there's no harm in touching base with breeders you may want to buy from and it's important that you and the breeder are comfortable with each other.
I think you need to be firmly committed to any dog you buy,whether it's a cavalier or not.Sometimes things can go radically wrong at any stage of a dog's life and as long as we're prepared to deal with it calmly and in a practical manner then I would say go ahead and buy your cavalier.
Get insurance for your pet, it removes some of the worry.
Bet,I think I've spoken to about seven or eight breeders over the last six months.Two from Margaret's list and others through word of mouth or people who's dogs I particularly liked the look of.
Everyone was very pleasant and there was no abuse at all from either side.Generally if you're polite and pleasant,you'll get the same courtesy extended to you.
Sins

I have mentioned this before ,and here goes again, why can't the UK CKCS CLUB publish a List of Breeders who Health Test their Breeding Stock.

Check out: thecavalierclub.co.uk click on MRI List. This will give info on breeders who MRI for SM.
next, click on health: then on hearts, and on the word 'more'. This will take you to a list of dogs and owners who have over 5's tested heart clear.
If you really want to know, it is not difficult.
Elspeth

Elspeth

Am I expecting too much ; Or , why I may never have the Pleasure of Owning a Cavalier

Could I just answer the Post about Cavalier Breeders who MRI Scan their Cavaliers on the UK CKCS Web Site.

My concern is why is not stated which Cavaliers ,after being MRI Scanned and the results are Published good or bad,then Prospective Cavalier Buyers won't have to suffer the Humilation of abusive comments from some Cavalier Breeders.

Am I expecting too much ; Or, why I may never have the Pleasure of Owning a Cavalier

Just read the Cavaliers ' over 5 with Clear hearts'List

Is there no a more up to date List of Cavaliers with Clera Hearts, some of the Cavaliers on the List mentioned ages go back to 1991.

There were approx 65 Cavaliers on this List. .if I was looking at the right List.

There are approx 11,000 Cavaliers Registered every year by the Kennel Club, all those Cavaliers won't belong to Puppy Farmers or BYB's.

So at 5 years of age, there would be approx 55,000 Cavaliers registered by The Kennel Club 2004-2009,and there are 65 on the CKCS Club List, ......

So at 5 years of age, there would be approx 55,000 Cavaliers registered by The Kennel Club 2004-2009,and there are 65 on the CKCS Club List

Yes, this is what is so depressing. And though the breed club breeders argue that the vast majority of cavalier breeders who get KC registration are not breed club members and not as health-aware, surely in 5 years there are also thousands of breed club member puppies also listed? Going by the heart clear list only a tiny fraction of one percent of dogs seem to be heart clear! The heart clear list could be a great advertisement for the club's health commitments, if breeders actually used it and showed they want a better public face for the 'hobby' and the breed.

If they keep arguing that hearts are improving, where is the evidence when either there aren't enough to include on the club list or they see such an important public effort by the club to be valueless to them and the breed, and therefore don't submit results when they do have heart clear dogs?

Incidentally a recommendation was made to the KC to put inserts on MVD, SM, hips, eyes etc into every registration letter returned to cavalier breeders generally when they register puppies -- a very simple, inexpensive and positive approach to getting basic information out to ALL cavalier breeders, especially those the breed clubs worry are 'outside their net' to inform on such issues. The KC has been saying for months that it will do this. Nothing has happened a full year + after PDE aired on this front, even though the KC spokespeople were stating the KC was partivularly concerned about such breeders and keeping them 'informed'. To date it seems the only thing they get 'informed' about is that the KC has cashed their cheques and their puppies are now officially registered. :sl*p:

This is such a simple easy way to reach breeders in one of the most-registered breeds in the UK and one of the ones with the most concerning health issues, in between MVD and SM. I would have so much more confidence in the things the KC says it plans to do if would actually act on such low cost, simple and encouraging suggestions. The breed clubs after all have no way to contact those thousands of breeders who are not club members and must look to the KC to take the lead. The KC has direct contact with ALL of them.

Hello everyone,

I wanted to thank you all for the support and replies. I have wanted to write that post for months, but kept putting it off. I am in tears knowing that I’m not alone. Karlin and Margaret C, I will be writing you privately when I am done this post :). Thank you for your offer of help.

There are just a few things I would like to add to my earlier thoughts that have come out of reading the replies.

There are ways to limit the risk for health problems in dogs. Find a breeder that fits with your views well before there are cute puppies to see. But nothing can guarantee that you pup will grow well into old age with few issues.

I definitely take time before selecting a puppy (see my far too long explanation below). I do not expect any guarantee for old age; nonetheless, I do expect breeders to follow current protocols to try to give the best possibility for a pain-free, long life (this includes health testing, questions of early stimulation and experiences, etc.). I take my job as a pet owner very seriously and want the best possible start for my family members.

Everyone was very pleasant and there was no abuse at all from either side.Generally if you're polite and pleasant,you'll get the same courtesy extended to you.

I would like to think I am very polite and pleasant. Sins, I don’t imagine you were implying that I was somehow rude, but I just wanted to say I was definitely pleasant and verbose (as you are about to witness :)). I started contacting breeders early in 2007 after being interested in the breed for some time. I research breeds years before I intend to add them to my family. When contacting a breeder, I always introduce myself first with a substantial email explaining my lifestyle and why I want a puppy/dog. I give information on my past dogs as well as current pets (ie. we presently have a dog and three cats). I give details of my training methods, views on food, a typical week in our lives, what types of activities I enjoy doing with my dogs (both informal and competitive sports), and some of my background as it relates to animals (ie. training seminars, competitive achievements in dog sports, my work with therapy programs, my work with vets, etc). I explain I am not in a hurry to get a puppy as I believe in doing extensive research (I am an academic, so it is what I do), and that I’m looking to find a breeder at this point rather than a dog. I close by inviting the breeder to write me back to initiate “getting to know each other” and to feel free to ask me any questions they would like. I also add that if they would prefer to discuss things over the phone, they can send me their phone number and I will call them so that they do not incur any long distance charges. As I said, it is generally verbose. I will say that 9.9 out of 10 breeders respond to this email. They are generally positive and interested in me as a puppy owner (I don’t mean to sound egotistical or pompous here). It is always after I write the second email asking about health testing that I get the responses I mentioned above (ie. either they never respond again or give reasons for not testing). I then respond to them very politely and kindly thank them for their time as I do appreciate responses, but explain that I’m truly only interested in finding a breeder that is doing health testing according to the protocols. I always close that email by thanking them again.

I don’t think anything I do in writing and responding to breeders is impolite or unpleasant. I have owned a variety of breeds. Some have been very healthy (my 12 year old Boston Terrier has been relatively well his entire life) while others have not (our first dog, a Boxer, had us at the vet as often as at home and died before she was three). I’ve worked at vet clinics, in the dog training industry, and in the pet food industry. I know what is out there and do believe I’m realistic when I take on a new family member, knowing full well things can go wrong (I myself am a cancer survivor while the rest of my family is healthy). What my issue with the Cavalier breeders I’ve contacted is the fact that they seem to ignore what current research shows is the case. As I said in my first post, when talking to breeders of other breeds I am usually able to get past the health question stage to questions of methods of training and raising puppies fairly quickly. Yet with the Cavalier breeders I’ve dealt with (many of whom were very polite) I found that they aren’t testing according to the protocols that seem to me to be clearly established and called for.

What is the future of a breed that has such severe health issues that are ignored by so many breeders? I’m certain that Karlin and Margaret C. will be able to help me. I just wrote my first post out of pure frustration. I truly love the Cavaliers I’ve met and think we would be perfect for each other. I just cannot in good conscience buy a breed in which the breeders aren’t working to improve on such serious and painful problems. All breeds have issues (so do all mixed-heritage dogs) - they don’t all have problems of such severity as the Cavalier.

Again, please read this post, as the earlier one, in a friendly-yet-frustrated tone. I am not intending to attack any single person or the breed. It is just the view of an outsider to the community that is trying to do their best in selecting their pets. I am an extremely soft and kind person, and would hate to think I’ve hurt someone because my tone seems hostile or aggressive. It is not meant to be anything but concerned.

Sincerely,
Lissa
PS - I hope this response isn't too long. I promise to be much more brief in the future.

Hello everyone,

I wanted to thank you all for the support and replies. I have wanted to write that post for months, but kept putting it off. I am in tears knowing that I’m not alone. Karlin and Margaret C, I will be writing you privately when I am done this post :). Thank you for your offer of help.

There are just a few things I would like to add to my earlier thoughts that have come out of reading the replies.

I definitely take time before selecting a puppy (see my far too long explanation below). I do not expect any guarantee for old age; nonetheless, I do expect breeders to follow current protocols to try to give the best possibility for a pain-free, long life (this includes health testing, questions of early stimulation and experiences, etc.). I take my job as a pet owner very seriously and want the best possible start for my family members.

What is the future of a breed that has such severe health issues that are ignored by so many breeders? I’m certain that Karlin and Margaret C. will be able to help me. I just wrote my first post out of pure frustration. I truly love the Cavaliers I’ve met and think we would be perfect for each other. I just cannot in good conscience buy a breed in which the breeders aren’t working to improve on such serious and painful problems. All breeds have issues (so do all mixed-heritage dogs) - they don’t all have problems of such severity as the Cavalier.

Sincerely,
Lissa
PS - I hope this response isn't too long. I promise to be much more brief in the future.

Painting breeders with a huge brush of " breeders ignore health issues'' is drastically unfair. Breeders have been submitting MRI's and bloods for years-- even here in the USA-- I took the time to send the information to England. We now see breeders donating neonatal bodies to be examined to help research. (not an easy thing to do)

Sandy, Lissa said "What is the future of a breed that has such severe health issues that are ignored by so many breeders?" she is not tarring all breeders with the same brush and I believe her quote to be correct - the VAST majority do not test.

Painting breeders with a huge brush of " breeders ignore health issues'' is drastically unfair. Breeders have been submitting MRI's and bloods for years-- even here in the USA-- I took the time to send the information to England. We now see breeders donating neonatal bodies to be examined to help research. (not an easy thing to do)

Sandy, I am sorry my meaning wasn't more clear. I was worried this is what would come across, and I definitely did not mean every breeder (which must be the case as I have not spoken with every breeder). I had hoped it would be clear that from the conversations I have had with the breeders I have contacted, I have had poor experiences. I use only "I statements" here. I do not doubt that there are committed breeders out there and that is why I came to this board in the hopes of finding them. I do, however, think the Cavalier as a breed is suffering from a large amount of serious health problems. I also think the breed is such a fabulous one that they will still be popular in spite of this fact. I have been involved with other breeds with severe problems, have good friends that have bred these animals, and understand the pain involved with trying to be a "good breeder." I have worked in clinics and labs that have dealt with treatments and have become very attached to all of these animals and many of their people. So please do not think I'm making particular to general fallacious statements or that I am being flippant. I do not mean to come across that way.

What I meant to say was from my experience in talking with a fairly large group of breeders, I have had poor experiences (both in my expectations and compared to experiences with other breeds and other species). If you follow stringent protocols as a breeder, then I am not only happy to talk to you, I am also certainly not speaking of you.

I am very sorry if I offended you - that is exactly what I was trying to avoid while still being honest.

Apologies,
Lissa

Lissa, I do hope you will find a puppy that is just right for you. I'm sure Margaret will help all she can. From what I have gleened over time, is that the people who test their dogs, are not the most prolific breeders, in fact they may only have an occasional litter. ie they're not doing it for a living. So this makes it even more difficult to hear about them and track them down.

Breeders who produce a number of litters, are probably easier to find, but might not be the ones who health test (as you have found) Some of these people can be woefully ignorant:eek: because they are just breeding to produce puppies to sell, full stop, and nothing else.

I have had cavaliers for many years, and 'touch wood' been very lucky so far. I hope I will continue to be, because some of the stories I have read here are so heartbreaking. Once you have got a cavalier, you will know it has all been worth it!:)

Last edited:
Sandy, Lissa said "What is the future of a breed that has such severe health issues that are ignored by so many breeders?" she is not tarring all breeders with the same brush and I believe her quote to be correct - the VAST majority do not test.

Which tests? There are heart clinics at some UK shows that are FREE. Free--

Many of the breeders near me in the USA organize health clinics annually. Some even have open clinics for people to bring cavaliers/dogs to their homes.

Back