• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Flea treatment?

shippers

We usually use Frontline small dog flea treatment and have never had a problem with fleas. A friend told me about this new Bob Martin Double Spot on which is suppose to be as good as prescription flea treatment. it seems a bit cheaper especially when buying for two dogs. Has anyone tried it? Is it worth it or should I stick with Frontline? I would never have considered Bob Martin products before but with it being prescription strength it had me wondering ..........

Check the ingredients, but it looks as if the product contains permethrin - this is similar to the US products such as Bio-Spot and spot-on products from Hartz, Sergeants, etc. These products are cheap and over the counter. Permethrins are NOT "generic ingredients that are in Frontline" - they are a completely different chemical. There have been many reports of death and serious neurological side effects - esp. in cats but also in dogs.

I will not use any flea treatment that contains permethrin - google and read all of the horror stories about pets dying, etc. Permethrins (organophosphate class if I recall) are just not as safe as the ingredients in Frontline. This is especially important if you have cats; permethrin will kill cats, so I wouldn't risk my cat coming in contact with the product even if used on dogs in the household as my cat snuggles and plays with the dogs.

This has been discussed quite a bit on this forum and in other forums to which many of our members belong. You can do a search.

Pat

Forgot to say - to save money, I purchase the large dog size of Frontline and use a syringe to measure out the amount for each of my small dogs - this saves a good deal of money for me.

Last edited:
the only Bob Martin product i've used is their worming tablets. Never again - they made my girls poorly for days :( in my opinion i'd stick with the frontline

Hi Pat

Out of Frontline ,Advantage ,Advocate plus any others I have forgotten which is the best o/all ,did not some previous threads suggest Frontline is less effective.Just thinking about Rosie and her habit of chewing her feet in the morning.:confused:

In my experience, Frontline is useless. I have had fleas come in with rescues a couple times, and Advantage or Comfortis have worked for me.

GREAT IDEA PAT about buying the larger size! I will do that.

I had used Frontline Combo on Jasper for a number of years but found about 2 years ago it was`nt so effective, this year I used it and, he was scratching within a couple of weeks and he did have some bites on his feet, I did mention this to the vet and they said that Frontline did`nt seem so effective and they recommended Advocate which I use now.

I had used Frontline Combo on Jasper for a number of years but found about 2 years ago it was`nt so effective, this year I used it and, he was scratching within a couple of weeks and he did have some bites on his feet, I did mention this to the vet and they said that Frontline did`nt seem so effective and they recommended Advocate which I use now.

I also have to use Advocate because of a problem with foxes in our garden - it is the only licencsed preventative for fox mange in the UK apparently.

Does anyone have a cheaper source of Advocate in the UK than their vet?

Thanks you so much, Kizzy's Mum - that is much cheaper than my vet, so I will have to see how much he will charge me for the prescription :lpy:

Have also sent you a PM, by the way.

Cheers, Marie-Anne

I've never found Frontline to be very effective, I prefer Advantage. However, Sentinel which is a heartworm and flea treatment combined is my favorite (given orally). The sentinel is intended to be used in a addition to another flea treatment (like advantage).

Revolution is another heartworm/flea combo, except it is applied topically, and isn't meant to be used in combination.

I live in a semi-tropical climate where controlling fleas is next to impossible, so using multiple products helps a ton.

I use Revolution, but just recently at my vets they have been promoting Promeris for flea & ticks but you also need to use the Heartgard for heartworms!

Frontline on puppy's fur

I have used Frontline twice on my puppy, but it is very difficult not to get it on their fur, it says only put on the skin, but that is easier said than done. Anybody else found this problem.

Basically you need to carefully part the hair and then squeeze it onto the skin. It will still get into the hair but it needs to be applied to the skin, not the top of the coat.

I have spent a fortune on my previous dog Toby on various flea sprays and treatments with no success. I had advocate from the vet and cleared the problem totally
Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Back