• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Freckles & Ticking...

elizabethreece

Hello everyone!

I recently got my first Cavalier, who I intend to show. He is from a breeder that is very active in both the AKC and old club (CKCS-USA). I've already begun working with him, and he's got a wonderful show temperament, as well has a gorgeous full coat (though he's a puppy so we'll see how it comes in when he grows!) and lovely, long ears, great head, etc. However, he has several freckles on his face and some ticking on his legs that I'm concerned about. He's my first show-quality dog, so though I got the best I could, I know that it'll take me some time to get a really, really great dog, but I was hoping that his freckling and ticking wasn't going to make his show career next to impossible! What do you other show people think? I've posted two pictures of him; his front legs have ticking, his back legs are free of it.

freckles.jpg
legticking-1.jpg

Thanks!

My Reuben had one black spot on his front leg when we got him at 9 weeks. Now he is 9 months he has loads of freckles of some black and some ginger (he is a tri)

He also had 2 white patches on his back, one has gone completely and one is just a few hairs now.

The blaze between their eyes seems to diminish too, his is almost just a line now.

It seems to me that black bits get more and white bits get less!!

He had a thick wavy coat... but now it is slim and silky.

Reuben3.jpg

Reubenportrait6.jpg

I'm not a show person, but I just wanted to say your baby is darling!

And Janice, yours is so handsome too!!

~Dawn

Like Dawn, I don't have a show dog. Both of your dogs are beauties.

Let us know how the freckles progress or lessen. I could never be a model with all my freckles:jmp2:

Heather R

The odd freckle(s) should not cause a problem, neither the odd spot on his legs; though it always depends on the judge on the day when you are showing, and what they prefer. Judges shouldn't 'fault judge' and should be looking for the best specimens. Rather a few freckles, than cow hocks!! - which is of course structural.

You didn't say how old your puppy is, but good luck in the future.:)

However, he has several freckles on his face and some ticking on his legs that I'm concerned about. He's my first show-quality dog, so though I got the best I could, I know that it'll take me some time to get a really, really great dog, but I was hoping that his freckling and ticking wasn't going to make his show career next to impossible! What do you other show people think?

It is difficult for me as a UK based exhibitor to know for sure just what is acceptable in the USA.
It also depends just how much more ticking and freckles develop as your pup gets older.

Although no exhibitor will openly admit it, freckles on the face are often disguised with powder or white paste such as 'Ducky White' when the dog is shown.

Ticking on the body will become less obvious if the dog grows a good coat, as the black flecks will blend into the white.

Your puppy looks as if he has a nice head, if he has a good shape, moves well, and shows himself off, then slight cosmetic faults may be ignored by the judges you show under.

I don't know how your puppy is marked on his body, but as Janice has remarked, white patches will get smaller and a tricolour's blaze will narrow as they get older. Sometimes an adequately marked tricolour puppy can end up too heavily marked as an adult.

Hi!

Your dog looks somewhat like mine: the ticking is a bit heavier, bit my Willie has freckles and is a blanket tri. I did manage to finish his championship as an owner-handler this year, despite these color flaws and my newness to showing in conformation (he's my first show dog.)

Back