• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Insurance dilema

kimy27

My Bailey was diagnosed with SM yesterday. Fortunately she is insured. Her insurance company pays £7000 per illness per year.

Dylan on the other hand who is almost two only gets £4000 per illness until the money runs out. Unfortunately this is the highest cover this insurance company does.

My dilema is this- I am worried that Dylan may develop SM in the future (he is from the same breeder) and we won't have enough insurance to cover all the treatments. I am thinking it would be a good idea to change insurance companies now while he is still healthy. However, he has a problem with one of his knee caps that will most likely need surgery in the future. Obviously this wouldn't be covered if we changed insurers.

What do you think would be the best thing to do? Anyone know how much knee surgery will cost?

So sorry about the long post. My mind is all over the place and I just want to do what is best for my little love bugs :)

Dont panic my love to be honest unless you opt for surgery (if he has SM) I dont think any medicatiion will be more than £4000 per Year with the scan.
Rubys is £7500 a yr and we are nowhere near that and she is on THE most expensive painkillers there are I beleive. Even after the scan and all the consults and ive also claimed for Lux patella problems AND over nighters for some problems she had a couple of months ago AND a back issue.
Oh and thats not to mention the hydrotherepy which is under complementary therepy allowance.

Dont worry about what might be just keep a cautious eye on him all the while looking after little Bailey as she needs your attention right now.

good luck

I would probably leave it. The knee may be all you ever need insurance for. Also I really doubt you would hit 4000 pounds anyway even with SM -- unless you needed a scan and surgery all at one time within one year. It would have to be a pretty severe case and they are not that common. Knees can range pretty widely. Depends on how involved the surgery is and the surgeon. It is best to get the best you can find.

Have you let the breeder know the results? This would be important information for him/her. If I've mentioned this already, apologies!

Thanks for the advice. Unfortunately it is not £4000 per year but only £4000 per illness. Once that runs out they don't give anymore.

Karlin, no I haven't informed the breeder of Bailey's diagnosis but I will email her today if you think it will help. :)

That's a very difficult one - but firstly, please write a letter to the breeder and send it recorded delivery so that you know they have received it. If you have a good relationship with them perhaps you could 'phone them first?

IMHO I think I would change - the surgery for a patella problem would be considerably cheaper than the risk of dealing. I can check back, I would have a price for this but it's about four years ago - will dig out my bill.

Also most Cavaliers do go on to develop MVD {heart problems} eventually - I presume Dylan has a clear heart at the moment? Heart drugs start at just a few pence but even online it is easy to be paying £50-£100 a month when they get worse - and this could go on for 3 years or so, plus cardiology work ups - £250 each, every 6 months, x-rays and vet visits - £4000 may not suffice.

I really do not recommend insurance with a condition limit like that - but we all learn the hard way. :(

As long as you haven't had treatment or mentioned any other symptoms to your vet with regards to Dylan, then the knee should be the only exclusion. Perhaps you could put aside £10 per month or something in case he needs the surgery.

I think I would switch as well. And before I did that, I'd probably talk to my vet about the knee and see how likely he feels the surgery would be. If it's very absolutely got to be done, then I'd ask the doctor how soon it can be done and do the knee surgery first ... then switch. Make sure the knee has healed well though because it won't be covered if you switch.

That's just what I'd do. I switched Lucky from a company that had a per condition cap to another company that had a per year cap (Pet Care to Pet Plan). Luckily, he had no preconditions at the time (other than tummy troubles which Pet Care considered a pre-existing condition when I tried to submit a claim once ... :-? )

Thank you for the advice. I think I will switch. I am going to the vet tommorrow to discuss medications for Bailey so I will mention Dylans knee surgery then. I certainly won't make the same mistake regarding insurance in the future!

It is only one of Dylan's knees at the moment. Does anyone know if his other knee would likely be excluded by the new insurers?

ETA- Nicki I haven't spoken to my breeder since I went to pick up Dylan at the beginning of last year but I will certainly send a letter recorded delivery.

edited because dogs have 2 knees not 4 icon_blshing

Last edited:
Back