PDA

View Full Version : Jacket size?

Soushiruiuma
19th November 2009, 07:05 AM
Guinness and I are headed to Colorado this Christmas (hooray!), so I'd like to get him a coat since he'll be out in the snow there. Since he's constantly growing measuring him now won't be very helpful by next month. What jacket length do you guys think would fit a cavalier? Do you think it's ok if I buy for his full adult size, and have it a little loose or do the jackets not keep them as warm that way?

The lengths for the jacket I want to get are 9", 12" or 15.5".

jacies
19th November 2009, 03:27 PM
What size is Guinness now? I don't think his body will grow that much longer in 6 weeks. Otherwise I would get the 12" one, the larger size would probably be much too big all over. Also depends on size, Impie has one that I have had to turn up a bit on the underneath because he is a boy and would otherwise keep weeing on it although the back is the right length.

Soushiruiuma
19th November 2009, 08:09 PM
Guinness is around the nine inch size now. I suspect he would never grow into the 15" but I figured I'd list it. His breeder said the mother is usually around 13 lbs when she has just had puppies, and the father was around 16 lbs. He's probably about 6-7 lbs now.

jacies
19th November 2009, 10:44 PM
I think the fit round the chest is more important really than the length of the back. Can you find out what chest measurements the coats are and then compare them with Guinness. Too big on the chest would not be very good and would possibly be trailing on the ground.:sl*p:

Soushiruiuma
19th November 2009, 11:25 PM
Hmm, I've measured him. His chest circumference is 13", and they recommend 17" as the minimum for the 12" (length) size. He has 6 weeks to grow into that of course. So he may be close to fitting the 12" by then. His leg (from elbow to ground) is about 6 inches, so even a jacket that's a little loose probably won't drag, right?

Lani
20th November 2009, 12:39 AM
It's really so hard to say ...

What's their return policy? You might want to order the two you think are most likely and return the one that doesn't fit in a few weeks after he's grown some. Depending how long they give you to return.

It might help if you can say how old he is now, how much he weighs, etc. That might help people relate a little better to how much he might grow in that month. Puppies can grow amazingly fast in a month!

That said, all Cavaliers grow differently, but if someone has a Cavalier that was a similar size at Guinness's age, they might be able to give you a more reliable idea of how big he'll be then.

Soushiruiuma
20th November 2009, 01:29 AM
Guinness is 14 weeks right now. He weighs 6-7 lbs. He weighed 4 lbs when I got him 3 weeks ago. His mother weighs around 13 lbs, and his father was closer to 17 lbs.

He's been growing like a weed since I got him, but he isn't fat.

jacies
20th November 2009, 03:57 PM
If you can't get both sizes to try and send one back then, going by his current size, I would get the 9" one because I think the chest would be much too big overall on the 12" one. The length under his tummy of the 12" one will probably cover up his penis so he would be wetting the coat all the time,:eek: depending on the style of course. As I mentioned I got one for my male dog and it was a bit too long for him and I had this problem. Obviously not so much of a problem if you had a bitch.
I guess you don't need coats for Guinness living in New Orleans so maybe by the time you need one for him again even the 12" would be too small if you are thinking of him growing into it.
Where are you buying the coat from? They have some really good ones on ebay.

Soushiruiuma
20th November 2009, 04:59 PM
No, dogs in New Orleans rarely need jackets, although my brother's american bulldog loves wearing one.

I went with the 12" size. There is a front chest part that is made of jacket material, the stomach has a nylon webbing strap, which won't extend back far, so hopefully we won't have issues with him peeing on it. That's my least favorite thing about male dogs, they manage to get pee on everything even when they aren't trying to.

Love my Cavaliers
20th November 2009, 05:38 PM
Just to throw another opinion in here - We live in Chicago and get our fair share of snow and frigid temps. None of my dogs has ever worn a jacket and they love being out playing in the snow. Even Riley who is my petite girl at 12 pounds never complains. Maybe a jacket would keep snowballs from getting on their chest and legs - to me that's the biggest problem with the snow. Just something to think about - that Guinness may not need one.

Janice
20th November 2009, 09:16 PM
That's my least favorite thing about male dogs, they manage to get pee on everything even when they aren't trying to.

this cavalier is the only dog ive ever had who has done this... all my males of larger breeds havent had this trouble. :sl*p:

Karen and Ruby
20th November 2009, 09:16 PM
I have real problems getting coats and harnesses for Ruby. She is always too big for a small and too small for a medium.
I have sooooo many in cuboards that dont fit- im waiting now for Charlie to grow in to them!!!

Soushiruiuma
20th November 2009, 09:43 PM
I had considered that, even in the winter Colorado is seldom cold. But if there's a snow storm while we're there, he'll have something to keep the snow off his back.

Lani
21st November 2009, 12:24 AM
My dogs are wimps. On really cold days they tend to want to stay in. They have coats for walks in the frigid cold. (teens really - Fahrenheit). The bigger issue though, more than needing coats is their paws. Lucky and Sparky will limp on really cold days when it is icy out.

Janice
21st November 2009, 09:04 PM
I have real problems getting coats and harnesses for Ruby. She is always too big for a small and too small for a medium.
I have sooooo many in cuboards that dont fit- im waiting now for Charlie to grow in to them!!!

OMG thats exactly the same as me!! Reuben has a little one that I dont like but it just fits. The nice padded medium is too big! And different makes size "small" differ as well! :sl*p: