PDA

View Full Version : Splitting pills

kimy27
23rd November 2009, 02:38 PM
Bailey has started a two week trial of furosemide for her SM. The pills are 20mg and are tiny. I have to give her a third of a tablet twice a day. It is impossible to split the pills into three equal pieces and I was wondering if it would be ok to crush them up and put in a piece if cold meat instead?

jasperpaw
23rd November 2009, 03:36 PM
Jasper is also on 20mg Frusemide tablets for his heart problems, they are very small and from going from a whole tablet down to 1/2 he has 1/4 every other day now, but with practise I have managed to cut them down with a small sharpe pointed knife and pop his tablets in a small piece of ham or chicken and he has taken them with no problems.

Nicki
23rd November 2009, 06:05 PM
I wonder if you would be better with the 40mg tablets - these are quite a bit bigger and do divide quite well - obviously into 6 pieces!! I have had to do that in the past.

Sometimes vets don't actually think about the practicalities of dosing with small dogs - mention to them that it is really hard to divide a small pill into 3!!

These are human meds so not really designed into dog sized dosages

Karen and Ruby
23rd November 2009, 11:05 PM
Ruby is on 20mg twice a day and reading some others' posts it seems that is quite alot!

Couldnt imagine having to split them they are TINY!!!!!!

Love my Cavaliers
23rd November 2009, 11:14 PM
I occasionally have to split Riley's 5 mg prednisone tablets which are also tiny. They split really nicely with a pill cutter that I got at the pharmacy. I think it cost a few dollars. It has a little channel where you put the pill and then it has a really sharp blade whcih you bring down on the piull with a handle. Very easy and much cleaner cuts and less waste than with a knife. Although if your pills are as small as these, I can't imagine cutting them into thirds. I might call the pharmacy or vet to see if you could give them in powdered form.

Karlin
23rd November 2009, 11:32 PM
Pill cutters are great. My pharmacist gave me one as a present for Leo :). You could crush them too I should think, then use a thin piece of card or razor blade to divide into small piles of three.

Pat
24th November 2009, 02:49 AM
then use a thin piece of card or razor blade to divide into small piles of three.

Hmmmm.......are you going to make the dog snort it using a rolled up dollar bill??!!

Sorry, couldn't resist!

Pat