PDA

View Full Version : How to cure a smelly cavalier!!!

Ockey
24th November 2009, 10:50 AM
Hi all

Just introducing myself a nd my new cavalier -Oscar (was rufus). We have now had Oscar 1 month he is 11 months old on Friday and he is ace. We also have 2 1/2 year old black lab Barney, who is brillliant with Oscar.
I first came across Cavis when i looked after a friend when they went on holiday, he was small but had no probs keeping up with a lab and i was hooked. I needed a friend for Barney, so not wanting the puppy stage all over again spotted an add for a little Black n Tan and the rest is history.

ANYWAY, my lab who goes running through fields, swimming etc, does not smell half a bad a little Oscar, is smelling a Cavi thing. As Oscar comes on the same walks os Barney and he is lower to the ground i have bathed him and sponged him down a few times, and last week actually had him professionally groomed, he smelt beautiful after that, but now he smells again.

Any advice would be welcome, or just recommendations to nice smelling dog shampoos or wipes please.
Thanks

Lesley, Oscar & Barney:fool:

Karlin
24th November 2009, 01:34 PM
Hi and welcome!

Question 1: is he neutered? An unneutered male will have very smelly pee and as a long haired small breed can get pee into their fur when lifting a leg, this may be th cause of the smell.

2) have you taken him to the vet? Strange returning smells may point to a medical problem from infected or impacted anal glands to gum disease to other internal problems causing a smell. It would be wise to check this with a vet.

All cavaliers are individuals and some may have a doggier smell but speaking from a lot of experience of being around friends' labs and cavaliers, labs smell a LOT more than cavaliers just as their normal smell -- they are well known as one of the breeds with a doggier smell than many others because of the oils in their coats, bred into them as water dogs. I've had a lot of cavaliers come through rescue and have 5 and none has a strong odor except when they have rolled in something or if they get pee in their longer hair (girls often do this when they squat, and some boys tend to pee onto their belly and leg feathering).

Ockey
24th November 2009, 03:25 PM
Hi and thanks.

Yes i had him checked out before i took him on and since had him at vets for micro-chipping. When i had him groomed his anal glands where done and have read on them on this site, the groomer did say they where full, i don't think they had been done before.

A couple of times i know he has walked under my lab when he has had a wee which doesn't help, i'll just have to keep an eye on the smelly situation.

dandelos
24th November 2009, 06:01 PM
He may not be too in love with it, but this is the only solution for us....

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/221/bathr.jpg (http://img204.imageshack.us/i/bathr.jpg/)

At the moment he's a 95% indoor/apartment dog, so he doesn't have the chance to go out and get dirty much. He starts getting smelly maybe after 2.5 weeks, and we typically bathe him every 4 weeks or so.

Of late though his breath has been getting more smelly (we do brush with doggy toothpaste occasionally) but do not give him dental treats beyond chew toys and bones. Not sure if it's anything to do with him losing his puppy teeth?

SamT
25th November 2009, 07:09 PM
Our two get smelly sometimes after a walk especially if they get wet so we just wash them in the bath. Its just easier then putting up with the smell!!! We started to wash our two from an early age in the bath so they are used to it now and just get on with it, they dont like it but they know they have to put up with it haha!

Cavs and Goldens
25th November 2009, 10:34 PM
Annie gets smelly in less than two weeks after a bath. Just a doggy smell. A daily brushing keeps this at bay so we can bathe her every two weeks. My Golden Retriever gets brushed once a week, bathed once every 3 months and never smells. Annie sleeps in our bed, Oscar sleeps beside it so we are obviously more aware of her smells. I think spaniels have a tendency to smelliness. Think Cocker Spaniel.

waldor
25th November 2009, 10:34 PM
I often wash the dog bedding when the dog is bathed. That keeps her smelling nice much longer.

kimy27
25th November 2009, 11:23 PM
Aww so cute :lol:

Cathy T
26th November 2009, 04:18 PM
Dandelos - I see your True Blue conditioner ;) I love their shampoo and conditioner....and detangling spray and teeth wipes :) My pups smell so good after using their shampoo and conditioner. My guys get bathed about every 10 days.

SamT
27th November 2009, 08:10 PM
I often wash the dog bedding when the dog is bathed. That keeps her smelling nice much longer.

Yea we do this as well especially after they have been groomed. I dropped their big bed off at the dry cleaners today!! The things we do for the love and because we love our doggies!