• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Foaming at the mouth

dyrojo

When I took the dogs out to our usual park before Charlie was running around in the leaves and when he came out he was foaming at the mouth. I tried opening his mouth to see what was in there but he wouldn't let me open it so I took him straight home and to the vets. The vet said he had a slightly high temperature but couldn't see anything else wrong so just told me to keep a close eye on him.

Has this happened to anyone else before and anybody any idea on what it might have been?

It really freaked me out for a while!

This happened to Dougall when he was little. I did the same rushed him to the vets, nothing ever came of it and it has not happened since. I can only think he might have had a reaction to something he has sniffed/licked or eaten like a toadstool or a poisnous plant/weed.

Both of my boys get foamy around their mouths when they get excited, and especially when they're around other dogs. They have drool hanging from their mouths and white foamy stuff around their lips...very attractive :rolleyes: I think it's pretty normal, it happens to mine fairly often...

Hi

Agreed foaming/frothing is a pretty normal event when they get excited after play or a good run so long as they are looking all OK overall with no signs of any other illness or problems ,so just normal happy Cav behaviour.:)

It can also occur if they've licked a toad or something - but it's always wise to be careful, it can be a symptom of poisoning :(

Drooling and foaming at the mouth

Hi all,

My Cavalier Kings Charles, Willow he foams at the mouth at the front but not long been doing this (I have had him for a year). Only noticed it after walks, normally when he has been very active and fairly warm.

My concern is that within the last week he has been drooling from the right corner of his mouth. When I see it hanging there immediately wipe it away. That corner of the mouth sags more than the other side which contributes towards the drooling.

Anybody any idea please?

Thanku

Glad that he is doing well now!

A few months ago my lil pup started foaming at the mouth while sleeping and it turned out she was having seizures (her later seizures had more classic symptoms in addition to the foaming); I don't say this to suggest your pup had the same thing - rather it definitely sounds like a mild cold (because of the fever), excitement or possibly mild poisoning/bit of choking like others have said - all are things our vet told us can cause foaming. When it first happened he did an x-ray to see if anything was obstructing her lungs and when nothing came up he checked her temperature and found it was also a bit high and he concluded it was congestion that caused the foam. He told us to make sure to wipe away the foam so it couldn't go up her nose as that can cause pneumonia. Swallowing it doesn't seem to cause much of a problem.

Back