• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Cesar Millan coming to the UK !

msunter

Hi All,

I was browsing the internet tonight looking for tickets for shows etc for christmas presents when lo and behold I came across tickets selling for Cesar Millan's UK Tour !

I have watched his show for the last year or so on Nat Geo Wild and have to say his techniques are very good. Tickets are on sale now so thinking I shall treat myself and Mum to the show in March. Just a shame we cannot bring our cav Rio to the show as I am sure he would love to meet Mr Millan LOL.

Oh no; sorry to disagree but he is deeply controversial as a trainer -- he might make nice TV episodes and some of his approaches are fine -- he is also very charismatice and makes for good TV -- but jerking dogs around and staring them down, and using 'domination' methods are not just ill-advised but downright dangerous and damaging training approaches and he routinely does this too. I'd beg people not to use his approach with cavaliers. :eek:

There is a lot of frustration amongst trainers who do not use domination and punishment techniques that he is now bringing this brand of rough handling of dogs outside the US. :(

He has some good things mixed in with his approach but for a good analysis of why so many find him controversial see this:

http://www.dogspelledforward.com/category/dog-whisperer

Karlin you are so much more polite than i would be.

the man is scum and frankly i wish he had never started "training" i am even sorrier he is showing his face this side of the pond

just a thought, what if we complained to the RSPCA? surely they can't allow him to do what he does?

There's been a long, lively and very interesting discussion of Cesar Millan on my obedience forum. General consensus is that he is often dealing with dogs in extremis for whom it is Millan's methods or being put to sleep - but of course their owners should never have allowed things to get to that stage. Many people, however, deplored the effect he has on the public, who think this is the way to train every dog and bring their big puppies to their first training class wearing a pinch collar! He may save a few dogs from death, but how many others does he - by example - condemn to brutal training methods?

Kate, Oliver and Aled

O I'm glad someone else said something. I've been waffling around about whether to put forth my (often too loudly stated) opinion once again about this man.

He scares me! When he's dragging the poor St. Bernard up and down the stairs in one episode, I just want to scream. Making a dog sit still as traffic rushes past him when he has a complex already--that's something that the dog must become slowly desensitized to, not all at once like that! He strikes me as very cruel, and to be honest, I don't even find him charismatic, but then, those icy "submit to me" men never really did appeal to me . . .

I saw him on the paul o grady show, and he does say its the owners he trains not the dogs, although his methods are harsh it does reflect the type and temperament most dogs who are brought to him have.
I think he does do brilliant work with dangerous dogs, i know in the new orleans disaster once people had been rescued and the water started to reside the charities went in to rescue pets that had had to be abandoned and some where reclaimed, a lot however were not, lots were highly nervous and aggressive, hundreds of them were destined to be destroyed and he took the 50 worst cases, retrained them and rehomed them.
Im sure his methods are not suited to all breeds and esp not cavs but with dogs like american pit bulls.

i'm afraid i disagree, there is no way his techniques are right in any case.

He makes me very uncomfortable when I watch him. Ok so he has saved dogs that would otherwise have been put down, but as mentioned by Kate, a lot of people see his training methods as being 'the way' to train all dogs.
He is also coming to Dublin I think. A pair of tickets are not on my Christmas wish list.:eek:

Last edited:
COAPE are running a campaign against the use of coercive, bullying dog training techniques that use devices such as choke chains, spiked collars, shock collars, rape alarms and correction sticks that can cause untold psychological damage to dogs in the name of dog training and behaviour therapy. They have a petition which people can sign in support of this.

http://www.coape.co.uk/

The problem is that no-one see's what happens before his programmes and if they did they would be horrified!

Oh I am very sorry that I may have upset anyone by adding this - As we have only recently purchased this channel and read the article below and looked at other dog forums on his training methods, I have to say I did not know the full background to his methods. After googling for opinions and watching a few more of the shows on youtube this weekend. I can honsetly say I am appalled at myself now for even posting this. Looking at some of the scenes more closely and especially with Bella http://www.dogspelledforward.com/category/dog-whisperer

The only method we have ever used was if our cav Rio is on the beds in the house and we use OFF, as we had a little trouble at the age of the two where he started to think our beds were his beds.

After doing much reading over the weekend on Mr Milan, I can say I will not be buying tickets for his show. We are very against e-collars, spray collars and choke chains.

Don't feel bad Melissa. I was a big Cesar fan when he first came out. As were a lot of people. Some of his concepts make great sense. Exercise is great for a dog. There have to be rules and boundaries. But....his methods are just not right. Not for any dog, but especially for a "soft" dog like a Cavalier. We've had some great trainers speak at our Club meetings and all of them negate everything he says. Take a look at Pat Miller who is the trainer who writes for Whole Dog Journal. And Ian Dunbar. Those are some trainers who understand that the same result can be achieved with much gentler methods. Heaven knows I don't want my dog behaving because he/she is afraid of me. I want them to behave because they want to please me and be rewarded for their good behavior. I think it's great that his name comes up every once in a while if for no other reason than it gives us a chance to enlighten people as to why his methods are not the norm.

I have seen my trainer (she's a tiny little older woman) control a mastiff with redirection and praise. It really opened my eyes.

Well on reading all your opions,i can only say one thing,Cesar does have the most to die for set of very white teeth....

[QUOTEWell at least we have a sense of humour,he is also a little small...[/QUOTE]
A little small what?? Actually he's a LOT smallicon_whistling

Back