• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

A Potential Adopter.

JulieSherris

Hi everyone,

I thought introduce myself this evening, as I have just emailed my adoption form to Karlin.

We are in rural Galway, with a very large garden of nearly 2 acres, currently being roamed by 30ish chickens/turkeys/ducks/guinea fowls, a kitten & 2 fat smelly Basset Hounds!
There's just my hubby & myself at home now - both knocking on the door of 50 yrs old... and my eldest daughter lives quite near with my granddaughter (nearly 6).

In 2001, we took on a Cavalier rescued via the RSPCA. When we first got our Charlie, his previous owners had just been given a life ban for keeping any animal - very sad, Charlie was almost deaf & blind in one eye after costant beatings.
He hardly had any fur left through grooming neglect & was in such a sorry state.
Well, he lived with our eldest Basset & then the pup last year quite happily - although he did tend to distance himself from them & we allowed this, because he was our 'gent'.

We finally had to have him put to sleep in May of this year.

And quite honestly, we miss having a Cavalier around the place. They are probably the most perfect breed to balance Basset ownership!

So... I shall be keeping my eyes on the site & shall most probably be applying for any & every dog available this side of the water ;)

Oh, I keep looking at the other UK dogs - and if it were possible, I'd take the time to drive over on the ferry... but that would take me away from home for a couple of days & I couldn't do that to the Bassets. Bless them, so I shall be patient....... :rolleyes: I hate being patient!

So.... Hi everyone!!

Hi Julie and welcome. Sorry to hear about Charlie - it sounds like he got the perfect home to spend his later and I'm sure very happy years. Hope you are successful with your adoption - the only thing is- I have found one cavalier isn't enough!:rotfl:
Charli

Ooo, Charli, I know!
The thing is, we already have the 2 Bassets, & especially in the winter, we 'live' in our back room & kitchen (it's where the stanley range is) so the physical room of getting another TWO dogs in here... with a wet garden, giving us 'wet dog smell'... with the Basset smell....

I'm not painting a pretty picture, am I? Ahaha!!

All we can say is "come on Karlin, find this person a doggy is in need of all this " sounds a brilliant home for at least a couple of cavys. di

Last edited:
Hi from me,Karlin has a couple of brothers,i have 2 acres as well.Lots of space.Are you flooded out.

Justine - although we had a LOT of water here, the chooks house got flooded & the ducks enjoyed the new ponds that sprung up everywhere, but the house stayed intact!
Hubby had to stay in Galway several times for work - easier than trying to get through the floods, but all looking back to normal now, thank goodness.

We have been talking about George & Ringo tonight...... personally, I think the house is a tad too small - but then maybe it isn't really, it's just that we keep the basset boys to the back room... but then because they're in here, we end up staying in here too!
We're thinking on it..... then again, paying out for TWO new babies right on top of christmas.... hmmm.. we shall see. See, I'm talking myself into it, then out of it again - but they DO look so gorgeous!!
Then again, we have a young Basset who is territorial over food & treats... adding a cavy with the same traits could result in fighting... oh goodness, my mind's whirring, I shall sleep on it! :D

Hi

Hi there, u sound lovely...(and after watching prime time and reading and hearing of depression and recession, and having people constantly knock public service (which i am)...eventho I have the flu and a kidney infection and not missed a single day from work, and last year signed myself out of hospital to get back to work..yes, I am too dedicated), well u seem lovely and I hope u get ur cavvy soon....fab amazing dogs, and sounds like ull give him/her a really fab and loving home :)

Aww, thanks Davey.
I hope you feel better real soon - I had the flu a little while ago & it was the worst fortnight ever :(
We're probably fairly close to you, we're right up on the Roscommon/Mayo borders....nearly made it out of Galway!!

First things first though - we got a couple of muscovy ducks a couple of weeks ago, but while the drake is quite happy, the duck has moved to the farm next door - seems that she likes to be with a LOT of ducks & so this weekend, we have to try & get her a ready made community.... I haven't told hubby that we're about to add half a dozen more birds though.... back in May, we were just going to get a few hens for eggs... we're up to 30-something birds now & have 3 turkeys that all look far too big for my oven!!

Common sense is telling me that we should be waiting until after chrsitmas before getting a 3rd dog..... but George & Ringo are just tooo cute!!
(I was even considering asking if we could foster them for a few weeks first, to see if they settled!!) Oh, I'm a right glutton for cavvy's!!

My old nan who is coming up 90 has had a 'Lady' for as long as I can remember... always a blenheim female, always called Lady.... was very confusing when I grew up and kept seeing 'Lady' shrink in size!! :D

I am so glad you are thinking about George and Ringo. They are both beautiful, but I know you have to do what you think is best for them, your other dogs and yourself. Good Luck with your decision, and welcome. Let us know what you decide....

Back