• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Cavalier Clubs Health Leaflet

Margaret C

At long last............. I am delighted.

http://www.thecavalierclub.co.uk/health/KC_LEAFLET.pdf

I have only skimmed, must read it thoroughly, and first impression is it may confuse some pet owners as it does not spell out that the low cost MRIs are not for diagnostic purposes, but for checking on breeding cavaliers, but otherwise it is wonderful to see this produced at long last.

Hopefully the KC will immediately start sending this out with all new registration papers and transfers of ownership.

Margaret wrote: 'it may confuse some pet owners as it does not spell out that the low cost MRIs are not for diagnostic purposes, but for checking on breeding cavaliers' But as most syrinxes start at the top of the spine, the mini scans will usually pick up whether the dog has SM or not, and if the picture isn't clear or the syrinx is obviously large and continues out of the picture, then a full scan can be done. Oliver's neurologist seems to be quite happy working from his mini scan. Both for research purposes and for the peace of mind of new owners, shouldn't we be encouraging Cavalier owners to scan anyway (rather like an annual heart check) - whether or not they are breeding, and BEFORE symptoms develop (especially as Skerritt and Rusbridge are reporting quite hopeful results from starting frusemide immediately a syrinx is detected). As long as the low cost MRIs aren't seen as definitive for the whole lifetime of the dog (which no scan is), they are at least a starting point that people can afford.

But the leaflet is such a good development...

Kate, Oliver and Aled

Is it not curious that no Mention of this Leaflet has yet Appeared on the CC List.

Just a thought, I wonder if the mention of it will appear on Norma Ingls' next Breed Notes.

Well said Kate! I have addressed this before on site. Karlin has told me that GS does not consider a mini-scan to be suitable for diagnostic purposes, while my vet sends them down to him by the car-load!
Elspeth

Margaret wrote: 'it may confuse some pet owners as it does not spell out that the low cost MRIs are not for diagnostic purposes, but for checking on breeding cavaliers' But as most syrinxes start at the top of the spine, the mini scans will usually pick up whether the dog has SM or not, and if the picture isn't clear or the syrinx is obviously large and continues out of the picture, then a full scan can be done. Oliver's neurologist seems to be quite happy working from his mini scan. Both for research purposes and for the peace of mind of new owners, shouldn't we be encouraging Cavalier owners to scan anyway (rather like an annual heart check) - whether or not they are breeding, and BEFORE symptoms develop (especially as Skerritt and Rusbridge are reporting quite hopeful results from starting frusemide immediately a syrinx is detected). As long as the low cost MRIs aren't seen as definitive for the whole lifetime of the dog (which no scan is), they are at least a starting point that people can afford.

But the leaflet is such a good development...

Kate, Oliver and Aled

Hello Kate,

I would be happy for any & every cavalier to go to the low cost MRI centres but, unless things have changed, I do not think they take cavaliers that show obvious SM symptoms.

I am sure there are dogs that show mild symptoms that are taken by owners that have their suspicions that the dog is affected, but the schemes were originally set up for breeders to screen their asymptomatic breeding stock.
I don't know if that criteria has changed or become more flexible, it would be good if all pet owners could test and add that information to the research data.

I get many phone calls from owners that have symptomatic dogs, with no insurance, and no money, and I just don't know how to advise them.
The last owner I spoke to decided to take out a bank loan so she could pay for the recommended MRI ( her cavalier was having screaming sessions )

Hi Margaret

As far as the Midland Club is concerned, the only criterion for taking advantage of the low cost scan is to belong to the club. No one questioned when I took Oliver (he's now been twice), although I made clear that he wasn't breeding stock and had no symptoms. Of course, there aren't many pet owners in the clubs (though perhaps more than you would think).

I think what I was mulling over in my earlier post was whether we shouldn't be encouraging pet owners to routinely give their dogs a mini scan at about the age of 2.5, even when they have no symptoms, and encouraging clubs to allow them to take advantage of the low cost schemes. As to those who already have symptoms, that presumably is up to the vet to accept them if the club is willing for them to be part of their low cost scheme. I hope we're moving (slowly!) towards a situation where both clubs and vets encourage as many people as possible to scan their dogs, regardless of whether or not they have symptoms. Which also means that the clubs will need to encourage pet owners to join them, so that they become Cavalier clubs, not Breeders and Showers clubs! No harm in hoping....! Perhaps also the health leaflet needs to stress that - given the two major health concerns in Cavaliers - insurance is a MUST (I'm sure the KC would be happy to push their own insurance scheme!).

Kate, Oliver and Aled

It's nice to see now that mention about the important Information on the UK CKCS CLUB Web Site
www.thecavalierclub.co.uk

concerning

Your Cavalier King Charles Spaniel, being made on the CC List.

I noticed I was getting the usual Snide Remarks made against me, but as long as I have Prodded some-body into action about mentioning this Important Pamphlet for Cavalier Owners that's all I care about.

Hopefully ,Norma Inglis' will also give the Pamphlet Prominence in her next Breed Notes.

I feel that because the CKCS CLUB on their Web Site have now stated what is so important for the Future of Cavaliers is to let Cavalier Owners know, that Health Screening is one way of reducing the the Risk of Passing on Pre-Existing Conditions ,Cavalier Owners have now been made aware of the Importance of Health Screening,that this is not just for the Benefit of the Cavalier Breeders for the Knowledge for their Breeding Programs, but also to inform Cavalier Owners that they are dealing with a Responsible Cavalier Breeder.

Hopefully now ,no Prospective Buyer of a Cavalier ,will ever again feel Intimated when asking the Cavalier Breeder if they have Health Screened their Cavalier Breeding Stock for the the 3 Main Health Issues in our Cavalier Breed.

MVD
SM
Eye Conditions

Forgot to say ,that I would have thought that the Cavalier Health Forum , would have been one of the first Cavalier Sites to have mentioned the UK Cavalier Clubs Health Leaflet without needing a bit of Prodding.

Back