• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Yoshi has his MRI tomorrow

Sarenna

Just to let you know Yoshi has his MRI tomorrow - I am not sure if I want a positive or a negative. I positive will say I know what is wrong with him let's get working on doing our best to make him more comfortable, however it's not something I really want to hear I want there to be a quick fix and it to be something simple.

I've seen a lot of comments about cheaper MRI's and who they are for. In the Netherlands Dieren kliniek "den heuvel" in Best performs an MRI for all Cavaliers at a special price €305 (this price if for Cavaliers only from what I gather and for the Syringomyelia test - other breeds / tests cost €800+) the results are sent to Dr Claire Rushbridge in the UK also. They will also ensure you have a full treatment advice for your vet - so it's not necessary to return to Best for treatment - which is good as it is far for me at least. This clinic is used by a lot of the Dutch breeders but there is not problem taking your symptomatic dog there (as I am with Yoshi). Originally I was going to visit the University Clinic in Utrecht which is excellent but is also approx €1000 - however if my vet cannot manage the treatment I will probably use Utrecht for treatment etc. Here the condition is almost a complete unknown in standard vet clinics, I have bombarded my vet with information from the sm.cavaliertalk website so she's not completely lost :)

For other Dutch Cavalier owners - the Dutch Cavalier club has been great with me I am not a member but I rang them with lots of questions and had nothing but support and help from the lady I rang. They directed me to this vets and she has kept in touch asking how it was going etc. I think maybe it is time to take up membership :)

Oh well a day of nerves waiting for me - I think I need to clean the house or something to deal with the nervous energy.

Sarenna

Good luck with the MRI Yoshi. I know what you mean about not being sure if you want it to be positive or negative. The only thing is, if it is positive, it will be a relief to know that you are now doing something for your dog, and no longer wondering what is going on. You are lucky to be able to have the MRI done at such a low cost. Is there such a thing as pet insurance in the Netherlands?
Fingers crossed for tomorrow, keep us posted as to how it all turns out.
Charli

:xfngr: for Yoshi tomorrow and a :hug:'s for you Serenna. I will be thinking of you both and praying for a good result for Yoshi.

Keep busy and if it is SM, at least you will be able to make Yoshi more comfortable. We'll be thinking of you xx :hug:

Is there such a thing as pet insurance in the Netherlands?

Yes there is pet insurance - alas when I moved here my knowledge of Dutch was zero and insurance is one of those long Dutch words that just doesn't resemble English. My wonderful Dutch husband has tolerated my love of a house full of animals with a suitable amount of cluelessness (he never really had house pets) and a huge amount of support :) Including big bites out of the family finances. Needless to say he had no clue about pet insurance so it never happened. However so far we've been lucky whatever the vet has charged for the cat and dogs it hasn't been too much of a problem I just tap into my house rennovation fund :) (and my husband just smiles and says well next year we will get the house fixed up *ng*l )

Thanks for the kind words and thoughts and I will let you know the results

Sarenna

Is anybody going with you tomorrow? I went with my friend when she had one of her cavaliers MRI’d, it helps if someone is there with you for support. I will be thinking of you and Yoshi tomorrow. :hug:

Thank you and yes my OH is coming with me - sharing the leaving of the house at 6am and even doing the driving in rush hour traffic! He is as stressed as I am, my neighbour has Emiko for the day - which she will love as she can play with their dogs all day (well boss them around, she thinks she's the matriarch!!)

I didn't really want to do this alone mostly I needed moral support but partly my Dutch doesn't go to complex medical terms the OH will understand fully what is being said if the vet can't do it in English and I think that's important too - it was good we could arrange an appointment that fitted his agenda so he could take the day off.

Thanks again for the kind words and thoughts

Sarenna

Yoshi has his MRI Tomorrow.

Yoshi ,wev'e all got our Fingers crossed for you to-morrow,and of course Sarenna as well.

Not long to go now.

Hi Sarenna,
I was in your same position just 2 months ago. Although we got bad news, I was then in a position to start to help my pup. As much as you think you are prepared, any bad news will hit you like a bolt of lighteing...but then you pick yourself up and focus on your pup. If you get good news, which I pray you do, you will then know for sure it is not SM and you can go down different roads.
My thoughts will be with you and I pray for all good news for Yoshi

Yoshi results

sitting at the vets now waiting for the MRI to finish the vet said there is another 20 mins to go but he has already been able to dianose Syringomyelia. I cant make sad faces on my phone but its how I feel ... Hubby is heartbeoken atm i am kinda numb but hopefully will be ok when he's done and needs his mum

Back