PDA

View Full Version : Fosters...

Karlin
3rd December 2009, 10:23 AM
I may need two short term places today... will know a bit later. Ste I think I may have that girl for you for a short term foster if you are still amenable...!

Hoping to get these two sorted, but just in case... making a public post.

JulieSherris
3rd December 2009, 11:53 AM
Karlin,
Although I'm all the way over in the west, if you need a foster home over this way, we would be pleased to help - especially before we take on a new forever cavvy.
We are near to Glenamaddy, right on the Mayo-Roscommon-Galway borders & I've a small car, so petrol's not a problem!

I don't know what the fostering 'protocol' is for you, but the offer is there should you need it.
Julie.

aquaceri
3rd December 2009, 12:07 PM
Hi Karlin,

Keep me in mind if you get stuck and somebody short term would love to do my bit to help, only problem is that I do not drive but if delivery to ashbourne could be arranged I would be happy to help....

Thanks

Karlin
3rd December 2009, 02:41 PM
Thanks, I will let people know a bit later.

If anyone can do a transport from Thelly in Kiltiernan to anywhere closer to me in mid-morning to midday tomorrow or possibly this evening, that would be a help! If no one can, I can do it I think. Two dogs need to be moved from her. One is going to his new home, and the other will need foster at least til Monday or Tuesday (so not too long). The girl needing foster is a very friendly 1 year old. I was out to Kiltiernan already today but these were not ready to be moved at that time.

aquaceri
3rd December 2009, 02:54 PM
No probs Karlin sorry I cant help with the transport..

goodie2su
3rd December 2009, 02:57 PM
Hi Karlin

We are available to foster if needed. :smile:

Su

JulieSherris
3rd December 2009, 03:01 PM
Awww...there's a Kilternan in Galway, but I don't think you mean that one!!
Shame.

Karlin
3rd December 2009, 10:08 PM
Thanks all! Let me try to do these last minute arrangements. I now have to work some of tomorrow so need to get someone to do transport or may be able to get these two and move them in the afternoon -- if I can get these to say Blanchardstown could someone meet me there, or else in town -- I need to get the male to the Finglas area near DCU so could meet there too.

Claire L
3rd December 2009, 10:18 PM
We can collect from Thelly for you. It will be around lunchtime and bring them to you . I only have one crate though.

Karlin
3rd December 2009, 10:41 PM
That would be great, Claire. I have checked my work schedule and looks like I could attend morning sessions then come home; if easier I can meet you at the Phoenix Park? Or near M50 exit at Ballymun? (as that would be on your way home wouldn't it?) What time would that be, around 1:30ish?

They are two cavaliers that grew up together and are fairly smallish -- about the size of my Leo and Jaspar -- so am sure will go in a single crate. Really nice dogs.

I need someone who can take the female around that point. I think she might be happier with another dog around in foster -- might bark at night if alone as she has never been on her own.

Claire L
3rd December 2009, 10:58 PM
I expect it would be around 2pm or a little later. Once we have them we can bring them anywhere you prefer.

Karlin
3rd December 2009, 11:42 PM
Well whatever is easiest. I really appreciate this as the work commitment was not expected and I am having to shuffle a lot of dogs around over the next few days. :eek:

Ste
3rd December 2009, 11:49 PM
Ste I think I may have that girl for you for a short term foster if you are still amenable...!

That's no problem, sorry I wasn't online earlier! We're both working tomorrow until 5 ish but could collect her afterwards, i'm wondering if perhaps DTI would hold her for the afternoon?

Karlin
4th December 2009, 12:05 AM
Either that or I will hold her or she may be able to stay with the kind new home that is taking her pal and be collected from there. Can you PM me the best number to get you on? I think you have my mobile number but if not let me know and I'll PM you that back. She needs a place til probably Mon or Tues.

Ste
4th December 2009, 12:17 AM
pm'd you

Claire L
4th December 2009, 12:25 AM
I expect to be leaving here at around 11.30am tomorrow . I have texted Thelly and am waiting for a reply. Karlin , you can let me know where to bring the dogs I don't mind if it's one drop or two :smile:

Karlin
4th December 2009, 12:35 AM
I will take both of them and can collect at my place or wherever. I can meet you at my place, at Dog Training Ireland, or, say anywhere around Finglas...

aquaceri
4th December 2009, 09:43 AM
I am still available to take one of them if needs be. I will be out in the afternoon at parent teacher meeting but I will be home by 5pm.

Karlin
4th December 2009, 10:21 AM
Thanks so much! The boy is going to his new home and his companion should be sorted for short term. :)

However this is often the period in which lots of people decide to give up their dogs (contrary to popular belief, most rescues find most dogs get abandoned or surrendered leading up to the holidays, not right after). I have had calls on about 20 dogs in the past two months. Fortunately several were rehomed before needing to go to rescue. Others I haven't even had a chance to list on the site, such as this current pair and another pair coming in... :eek:. Another pair were homed while I was away by another rescue.

So I appreciate people being available as typically it can be a very last minute urgent need for a dog to have somewhere to go.

aquaceri
4th December 2009, 10:26 AM
well my quietest time at home is over the christmas - just a few trips across the street to visit my parents and no work for almost three weeks so it is the perfect time for me to offer my home - even in the event of other fosterers not being available over the christmas as I know alot of people travel over the holidays!

Justine
4th December 2009, 03:42 PM
I am here and open all over xmas.

goodie2su
4th December 2009, 05:33 PM
Feel free to contact us anytime over Christmas :)
Su.

Karlin
4th December 2009, 08:17 PM
Su I may need you over the weekend as a backup just in case I cannot place a dog immediately into her new home... would that be a possibility? This is one that needs to go where there are NO dogs resident.

Karlin
4th December 2009, 08:27 PM
I may also have an emergency case -- a little older female whose owner abandoned her at a carpark for not coming and getting in the car... :eek: :eek:. someone found her wandering and returned her but there's a strong chance the owner will hand her over to rescue. If so she will need a place to go. So might be one for Aqauceri or someone else in the Dublin area... :(

UPDATE: yes this dog needs a foster place. A 7 year old spayed B&T, really lovely I am told.

goodie2su
4th December 2009, 09:38 PM
No problem at all Karlin, I'm available. Kids have swimming in morning so I will be out of the house from 11.30 - 2.30 but you can still reach me on my mobile. Have pm'd you my landline as well, as my mobile seems to be having service problems here in the house.

Su

Claire L
4th December 2009, 09:41 PM
I may also have an emergency case -- a little older female whose owner abandoned her at a carpark for not coming and getting in the car... :eek: :eek:. someone found her wandering and returned her but there's a strong chance the owner will hand her over to rescue. If so she will need a place to go. So might be one for Aqauceri or someone else in the Dublin area... :(

UPDATE: yes this dog needs a foster place. A 7 year old spayed B&T, really lovely I am told.

What the hell is wrong with these people :swear:

Karlin
4th December 2009, 10:11 PM
Yes person gave the owner a little talk.icon_devil

aquaceri
5th December 2009, 12:38 PM
I can take the older blem if you need me to Karlin,,,,

aquaceri
5th December 2009, 02:03 PM
sorry Karlin i meant to say black and tan i hadnt had my first cup of coffee yet and read post wrong! ill pm you my phone number incase you dont have it

Karlin
5th December 2009, 08:53 PM
Thanks! We were all lined up for her but owner changed mind. :sl*p: Hoping she will change it again...

aquaceri
6th December 2009, 10:19 AM
such a pity we were really looking forward to our first foster - and even sadder for the poor little girl thats left behind... fingers crossed that now the owner knows she has another option she may realize that she cant provide a suitable home for her little dog. Its hard to make a selfless choice but fingers crossed she will do whats right for her.
icon_nwunsure

aquaceri
4th January 2010, 08:51 PM
Hi Karlin,

did you ever hear back from this woman?

Karlin
4th January 2010, 09:09 PM
Nope! But have another wandering dog in bad state coming in tomorrow. He is sorted for foster -- need to get him scanned etc.