PDA

View Full Version : transport: 2 boys from Dublin to Moate/Athlone area

Karlin
4th December 2009, 11:32 PM
I have two cavalier boys that need to get to Julie, who can come halfway from her direction and meet the canine convoy in Moate or Athlone (perhaps someone is driving to either Galway or Roscommon during the week or weekend?). This could be done anytime from this weekend to next. I can do this later in the week if no one is able to but I thought someone might be heading that direction anyway or enjoy a drive... :-) :drivecar:

JulieSherris
5th December 2009, 12:30 AM
I have my car keys at the ready to collect the boys - oooo can't wait!!

I've told the Basset boys that they will be having company but at 11pm on a Friday night, the only reaction I got was a grunt from the big lad & an eyebrow twitch from the young one..... and I keep getting told that dogs are great companions! :rolleyes:

Claire L
5th December 2009, 10:54 AM
Julie, we will try to do this trip to Athlone to meet you. We are doing another trip today and have family duties tomorrow so it will most likely be Monday or Tuesday -if you can wait that long :)

JulieSherris
5th December 2009, 11:58 AM
Claire, that would be wonderful!

I was thinking about meeting at the McDonald's just off from the motorway there just before Athlone - there's a large pet shop there too..... for supplies!!

As long as we know who & where & when, we'll be there - how exciting :D

aquaceri
5th December 2009, 12:42 PM
Julie are you adopting george and ringo???? Ooooohhhh Im delighted for you - and them! such a wonderful christmas gift you will be giving them xxx congrats and good luck to you all and the bassets ;)

JulieSherris
5th December 2009, 12:59 PM
Hi Aqua, well, we are going to give them a try & see how they settle in with the 2 Bassets, the kitty & the expanding feathered mob outside!

Hopefully, they will be typical Cavaliers & won't mind any other living creatures - I like all the animals to be as free as possible, so I wouldn't want to be shutting the birds in their runs. I'm sure that if I can get 2 bassets to behave around the birds, then training 2 cavaliers outside will be a synch!

Now... if I can only get the bassets to STOP eating rolled oats & barley, we should be fine! :)

Claire L
6th December 2009, 07:10 PM
Are these boys ready to go tomorrow? if so, we can drop them to Athlone.

Karlin
7th December 2009, 02:00 AM
No, the owners need to know in advance as they work during the day and I should have them delivered here, then can meet you somewhere. Alternatively I can take them Wednesday. Sorry for the confusion, I forgot the owners would need to know and that you were thinking of doing this Monday -- I just need to talk to them in advance. Let me know if another day suits or I will do this Wed.

My head has been swimming all weekend trying to sort dogs and having some fall through!

JulieSherris
7th December 2009, 09:18 AM
Sitting here this morning with my coffee, I'm wondering how high the volume on our TV goes..... both the Bassets are snoring away merrily & I can even hear the hubby from the bedroom next door - add 2 cavaliers to that & I shall need ear defenders!! :D

Claire L
7th December 2009, 01:40 PM
Sitting here this morning with my coffee, I'm wondering how high the volume on our TV goes..... both the Bassets are snoring away merrily & I can even hear the hubby from the bedroom next door - add 2 cavaliers to that & I shall need ear defenders!! :D

Ahhhh! but what a wonderful symphony you will have :) there is nothing quite like the contented snore of a Cavalier :slp: ................. music to my ears.

TokyoKuri
7th December 2009, 02:04 PM
good luck Julie!
George and Ringo sound like a great addition:paw:

Karlin
8th December 2009, 12:43 AM
Thinking of doing this either Wed or Friday. Have to check when I can collect these; I have a meeting at 2 on Wed so would need to go and return well before then if on Wednesday (eg to meet by 11ish).

JulieSherris
8th December 2009, 01:01 AM
Wednesday is perfect because:

1) Hubby is home all day to stay with the Bassets... (and get some jobs done ;))

and

2) The daughter can come with me as chaperone & we still have time to get back to pick up the grandaughter from school.

Friday wouldn't be a problem either, though... whenever is best for you Karlin - just let me know & we'll be there!

Karlin
8th December 2009, 01:16 AM
I'll check with the owners tomorrow and see what we can do. I may have another dog to move on Friday -- maybe two -- so would prefer to get this one done Wed if possible. :)

Karlin
8th December 2009, 06:29 PM
OK, can't do tomorrow due to work demands as it is budget day, which I forgot. I have asked the owners if I can get them either Thursday morning, or will do this on the weekend. Are those days Ok with you, Julie?

If anyone is heading towards the west on the weekend and could take these guys as far as Moate or Athlone, that would work as well. :)

Karlin
8th December 2009, 06:41 PM
Julie, is Thursday OK; they are going to drop the dogs to me then?

Nicki
8th December 2009, 06:50 PM
I'm so pleased for your Julie - paws crossed this works out. When I saw your post about looking for a Cavalier I did wonder if you might be able to take these two :D

You sound perfect for each other...

harleyfarley
8th December 2009, 06:55 PM
This is just brilliant, im so pleased for you and the dogs, i really hope this works out for you, im sure karlin and the others will have loads of good advice and we are all here for you, so you might have them by the weekend, dont forget to get out your camera, we want pics you know. di

JulieSherris
8th December 2009, 07:03 PM
Julie, is Thursday OK; they are going to drop the dogs to me then?

Karlin, anytime is good - you just tell me what time/day to be there & I will make sure that I am there waiting for you :) I am ready to leave at the drop of a hat!

We're quite looking forward to it & the granddaughter is really excited.... she was a bit tearful at first, because the bassets can be quite exuberant when she visits. Actually, they just 'crowd' her with tongues out & wagging tails, but as they weigh 5 stone apiece, she sees this as being quite intimidating!

When we told her thay were 2 cavaliers, she was SO pleased! She has asked if she can buy 2 new tiaras...... (see my avatar :rolleyes:) And now she is planning walks along the lane, what biscuits we need to get as treats etc etc!!

I'll make sure lots of pics are taken - I just hope they love it here as much as we'll love having them here :D

Karlin
8th December 2009, 07:09 PM
That's great (all around)!

I would imagine I'd get to Moate area (wherever you want to meet) for about 10:30 to 11. I will update.

Nicki
8th December 2009, 07:43 PM
[QUOTE=JulieSherris;345808]

When we told her thay were 2 cavaliers, she was SO pleased! She has asked if she can buy 2 new tiaras...... (see my avatar :rolleyes:) And now she is planning walks along the lane, what biscuits we need to get as treats etc etc!!

/QUOTE]

:eek: Tiaras!!! Definitely need crowns though :jmp2: Can't wait for the phtoos!

jld
9th December 2009, 04:08 AM
Oh, so excited for you. Can't wait for an update and pictures.......

Charlifarley
9th December 2009, 10:48 AM
Julie, Good luck tomorrow :p:p

Karlin
10th December 2009, 04:53 PM
Two absolute stunners -- great personalities too -- though they arrived on choke chains!!! :eek: :( (which were immediately replaced from my handy supply of soft collars).

Had a lovely talk with Julie and her daughter, the boys hopped into her car, and I am sure she will update us later!

JulieSherris
10th December 2009, 08:05 PM
Well, I have to say..... they were perfectly behaved in the car!

Got home & picked up the granddaughter from school, lots of tail wagging from the back..... :D

So we got the boys into the house via the front door... let the bassets out the back & let the cavvys have a good sniff around first.
Old man basset was then allowed in - all ok.... young basset came in - still ok.... cat in - oops!!!

So - the cavvys do NOT like cats - yet!! :p
At the moment, they are asleep on the floor by my feet, they have shunned the dog bed, even though their blanket is there - kitty is on hubby's PC chair, bassets on their own bed & everyone fast asleep.

I took the boys out into the garden one by one to have a short stroll & introduce them to the chickens/ducks/turkeys - both boys totally ignored the birds! Mind, they were on a lead, so it might well be different when they are out there alone :eek:

So we've had lots of sniffing of bits, lots of wagging tails - they had their tea ok - but strangely enough, although they respond to certain commands (sit/stay/down) they don't react in any way at all when you call their name.... not even a flicker! So now we're not sure whether to carry on with George & Ringo, or to change the names?
George, the blenheim is a very extroverted little lad - has spent the afternoon with his head stuck under the basset tummy regions!
Ringo the Tri has spent a lot of time under the table & chairs out of the way - anytime the bassets have got close he's growled, but I think he'll be ok after a few days.

Anyway, it's early days yet - I shall take a few pics & get them on here as soon as I can - an interesting few days, I think!!

Charlifarley
10th December 2009, 08:14 PM
That sounds like a good start to me! Best of luck with your extended family. Looking forward to the photos.
Charli

Nick
10th December 2009, 09:19 PM
What a lovely story!

Here's hoping everything works out with George and Ringo (or whoever:smile:).

Please keep us informed, and post some pics!

Nick

harleyfarley
10th December 2009, 09:29 PM
Sounds as if they are settling in fine julie, everyone needs to find their own space and thats just what they are doing, I hope it continues, its a lovely story and a happy ending i hope. di

Desrae
10th December 2009, 10:22 PM
Hi Julie! Good to hear the cavvy boys are with you now. I've been following your story and a lot of what you say here makes me smile and laugh sometimes- thanks for that:smile:
Anyway, Good Luck and looking forward to reading more updates.

P.S. If they don't answer to George and Ringo, maybe you can try John and Paul? (oof, what a bad joke, but had to say it).

JulieSherris
10th December 2009, 10:59 PM
Haha... John & Paul - well, that's better than Rasputin & Dracula - suggestions from the daughter & granddaughter..... :rolleyes:

So hubby got home about an hour ago & they've made friends with him - still barking at the cat, so she is now on her bed, on the table out of the way! Funny how as a 6(ish) week old kitty, SHE did battle out in the front garden with the bassets & moved herself in, but now at 6 months, she's taking badly to 2 wagging mini-dogs!! :D

Anyway, I have added a new fleece mat to the bed area & success! Where they won't go anywhere near their own fleece mat, they both settled on a new one - typical!

A taste of things to come....
http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t62/jsherris/Cavvies/Night1.jpg

jacies
11th December 2009, 12:00 AM
Wow, they all look great together and matching colours too. Sure they will all be very happy together.

jld
11th December 2009, 03:52 AM
Oh my gosh, they are beautiful !!!!! I can't believe they are all sleeping together already. You are so lucky.... Please keep the pictures coming. We can never get enough. Hope, hope it all works out for all of you..

Charlifarley
11th December 2009, 09:42 AM
Perfect!:D

Karlin
11th December 2009, 02:08 PM
If they don't answer to George and Ringo, maybe you can try John and Paul?

:rotfl: :rotfl:

What a fab picture -- yes they are all colour coordinated!! :lol:

JulieSherris
11th December 2009, 02:43 PM
OK, we've not had a bad morning - there was a bit of barking through the night, but they settled ok. Hubby was up for his coffee & out to work at 6am - they all went out for a very quick leg lift, back in again & when he left, all lights were off, so they slept through to 8 when I got up - yay!!

Ringo = Henry now, so they are both named after Kings ;) Work is needed to teach them that they should react to a name - and the name 'NO' is not used in this house :p

So I have 2 established 3 main problems so far.....

1) The Cat Problem.
They will tolerate her when she is off the floor & on a chair, as long as she doesn't move. When she's on the floor & they chase her to a corner, George does most of the barking, while Henry wags a lot & snuffles at her. I think he will be the one to settle first with her.
George then tries to nip at her fur.... he's not actually biting her, just nipping at the fur and pulling it out - which she objects to & hisses, then strikes out, making him worse! :rolleyes: Advice on this gratefully recieved.
He will back off when I pull him away but also if I shout 'No' LOUDLY enough, but sits a little way away watching all the time & whining & shaking - he REALLY wants to get back to nipping & barking! :)

2) Separation Anxiety.
I can't even go to the hallway - we have a gate at our back room door which I can close instead of the door. We found that as long as the bassets know I've not closed the door, they are happy enough when I go to other rooms - not so the cavaliers!! If I stand 4 inches away, but I'm the other side of the gate, they cry - loudly!!
This needs working on, but it's only day 1, so I'm not going to fuss too much on this just yet.

3) Bird chasing.
OK, on a leash, they ignore the hens - off the leash, both boys run around frantically trying to chase the hens/duck/feathered friends!!
Again, we're on Day 1, so work on this area might take some time. In the meantime, I am popping them on a leash to go outside & then they can go into the veggie patch which is totally enclosed - yep, they bark because they think I am abandoning them, but at least I know everyone is safe while I am out there working :D

Right now, I have some wood to chop, the peat basket to fill for later & then my all time favourite job, the good old poo hunt!
The air will be ringing with the sound of Cavalier barks, but out here with no neighbours, it's all good!!

Wagtails
11th December 2009, 02:56 PM
That photo is fabulous, Julie, and just goes to show what a lot of TLC, knowledge and patience can achieve in such a short time.

I'm sure I'm not the only one here who can't wait for the next "instalment" in your Sergeant Pepper saga!!:*nana:

Karlin
11th December 2009, 03:13 PM
I will go through a few of these things later on. There is a great set of links in a section in the Library on cats and cavaliers (or other animals). They will need 1) obedience work and 2) lead management initially.

I like the new names! I think they have the problem that often happens when people take two siblings/puppies at the same time -- they are never kept apart and never worked with separately, as needs to happen daily, really; hence never learn names or much independence.

The separation anxiety will subside. This is really common for rescues who have just left an evironment they've known all their lives and cling to you now as the one thing they know in a totally changed environment. There are good links on sep anxiety and management in the Library and also at pretty much all the links pinned at the top of the training section. :) They should all help.

My cavaliers never all stay in one room when I go to another -- they all get up and follow me. It is the nature of cavaliers to do so! If prevented from following, they can get whiny and anxious. I was told George is the more anxious of the two. Ringo/Henry was a bit grumpy with my two girls on the back seat then after a few minutes, didn't care. One way to address growling like this -- be next to him with small yummy treats -- when the other dogs come near start feeding him the treats. Lots of praise for now growls. Son he will associate other animals with good things. This is the basis of desensitising to outside animals too.