• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Pedigree Dogs Exposed on Today Show tomorrow

Karlin

Administrator
Staff member
At 7:30am ET/PT in the US, you can view advanced clips from the film and there will then be a discussion on the Today Show (one of the main US morning national news programmes) tomorrow, WEDNESDAY the 9th.

The documentary itself airs at 8pm ET/PT on BBC America on THURSDAY the 10th (cable -- carried in most major cable packages in the US).

OFCOM have still NOT Published their findings regarding the complaints lodged against the PDE documentary and here is the BBC still televising the documentary.

This is interesting about BBC America and the following from this address.
http://www.press.bbcamerica.com/press/corporateoverview.jsp

PARENT COMPANY:
BBC AMERICA is a product of BBC Television, creator of BBC ONE and BBC TWO in the UK, and BBC Worldwide, the commercial arm of the BBC. BBC Worldwide is Europe’s largest exporter of television programs and a major international broadcaster, publisher and co-producer.

OWNERSHIP:
BBC AMERICA is wholly owned and editorially controlled by the BBC.

Just a clarification -- the documentary is showing at 7pm central time on Thursday night, but 8pm ET/PT.

Today Show segment was rescheduled to 7:40 am tomorrow (Thursday) morning. Same day the show itself will run. (y)

I had my DVR set for Wed morning, but it was not on. Had already set my DVR for Thurs. morning before reading this, just in case. Also set for the BBC program. Thanks for this info. (y)

Can I ask our American brothers and sisters to keep us updated on the impressions this documentary leaves on America, here's hoping as many as possible watch it (y)

Wow, hard-hitting Today Show segment! Hope the show gets a wide viewership and these issues are debated in the US and by the AKC as well.

Think tonight's programme is edited down by 10 min or so to fit in with US commercials... :rolleyes: Always a hassle that an hour on TV is really more like 50 minutes in the US due to running ads.

Pedigree Dogs Exposed on Today Show.

Could I mention I have just watched this Program on on the Today Show.

There was mention again about the Cavaliers' Head being too Small for their Brains.

The Professor who was being interviewed ,said that how this has happened is because of Breeding for a Particular Skull Shape for a Cavalier can ,as has been seen, have devastating consequences .

He also mentioned about the Dangers of In- Breeding, I will repeat again,..

In the early 1980's there was quite a bit of Half-Brother to Half Sister Matings taking place in our Cavalier Breed.I have a number of Cavalier Pedigrees to prove this.

In the 1970's there was matings between Father to Daughter and Mother to Son also taking place.I also have those Cavalier Pedigrees.

The lady who was interviewing the Professor ,when she mentioned the SM Problem in our Cavalier Breed ,was so shocked and distressed about the Suffering it was causing Cavaliers.

I think that as a result now ,after the full PDE Program is viewed in America, and seeing how SM is affecting Cavaliers ,the Public will be as shocked as the Interviewer was.

Pedigree Dogs Exposed on Today Show

I forgot to say that the Close Breeding Pedigrees I have ,are NOT from Puppy Farmers,but CKCS CLUB Breeders.I don't know whether it is still going on to-day ,I don't get the KC Breed Supplements any-more.

Also Dr C, Rusbridge, Neurologist ,at the beginning of her interview for the TODAY Program, also stated that the Cavalier Heads are too Small for their Brains.

It sure made interesting viewing for me.

I forgot to say that the Close Breeding Pedigrees I have ,are NOT from Puppy Farmers,but CKCS CLUB Breeders.I don't know whether it is still going on to-day ,I don't get the KC Breed Supplements any-more.

Also Dr C, Rusbridge, Neurologist ,at the beginning of her interview for the TODAY Program, also stated that the Cavalier Heads are too Small for their Brains.

It sure made interesting viewing for me.

Bet I have had a good look at the pedigree databases, and have now kept track of full sibling breedings with Ch parents, some dual champs, in the UK, Canada, and the USA, right up until 2007. Some of these offspring are championed themselves.

There are also many half sibling breedings easily found since the year 2000.

These, however, are not the norm. Over the last 20 years breeders seem to be going toward much lower COIs. Unfortunately a "0" COI does not help if the inbreeding or linebreeding in the past has caused difficulty through the breed, even if we know it was done with good intention.

Depth of pedigree and the OPEN sharing of health knowledge as far back as possible becomes ultimately more important.

Oreo

Last edited:
As an American (and one living in the South!), I can say that almost no one here has any idea of how bad the situation has become with pedigree dogs.

I will, however, be keeping a close watch on the reactions of my friends (and maybe even showing them myself, as I have my roommate) and report back to you what I have seen. I think this show will rock their previously unrocked boats.

I saw the segment on the Today Show this morning...I had forgotten that it was airing tonight, so I set my DVR to record it. I volunteer with a local Cavalier rescue, so I sent out an email to that group as well, letting them know about the documentary. I also sent out an email to everyone I know that has a Cavalier. It will be interesting to see peoples' reactions...

PDE is airing on BBC America Channel here in the U.S., which is only available around here on cable or satellite TV. Not all cable TV customers get the channel, though, as one has to pay extra for a 'digital' package and the receiver box. Even with the satellite TV providers, BBC America is usually in an upgraded package. ~sighs~

Bet I have had a good look at the pedigree databases, and have now kept track of full sibling breedings with Ch parents, some dual champs, in the UK, Canada, and the USA, right up until 2007. Some of these offspring are championed themselves.

There are also many half sibling breedings easily found since the year 2000.

These, however, are not the norm. Over the last 20 years breeders seem to be going toward much lower COIs. Unfortunately a "0" COI does not help if the inbreeding or linebreeding in the past has caused difficulty through the breed, even if we know it was done with good intention.

Depth of pedigree and the OPEN sharing of health knowledge as far back as possible becomes ultimately more important.

Oreo

You say you have kept track of full sibling breeding in UK Canada and USA. I must admit I am unaware of any Ch Cavaliers in the UK that are full sibling breeding. This had also been questioned on the CC Forum.

Can you be more specific re the UK Champions to which you are referring that are the result of a FULL SIBLING mating?

Thank you.

In Australia the University of Sydney has access to our ANKC National Pedigree Database where one of the research projects is to look into the coefficient of inbreeding, and so far the early indications from the Research is that we have a low COI in Australia, and where this to some may show purebred dogs in a positive light in Australia. BUT keep in mind that we do have MVD and CM/SM in Australia this as the hereditary genes for these are in Australia.

Last edited:
Can you be more specific re the UK Champions to which you are referring that are the result of a FULL SIBLING mating?

If people wish to exchange names of dogs PRIVATELY that is fine but I will not allow names of dogs to be posted here unless someone can show me the pedigrees first. Please return and read the Getting Started section on what is OK to post, please, if you are unsure why.

But maybe I will allow such a post, if the people on CC and their pals who keep insisting they know about matings of A dogs, two generation As and 3 generation As 'on both sides' producing affected puppies... reveal who are these breeders, who are the dogs, and who read the scans? So far the people, dogs, breeders and neurologists remain unnamed but the people posting typically will claim to have seen the MRIs or heard this from someone who said they talked to someone who saw the scans... :rolleyes: An occasional anomaly would be expected anyway as people will know basic high school genetics, yet the same folks claim that the dozens of puppies, and several generations of scans now, from groups like the Dutch breeders which clearly indicate that As produce many As while low grades produce few to none, are dismissed. Gee, one or two cases, against dozens and dozens of puppies?

To me sibling matings are of diddly squat importance compared to the fact that there are breeders on those sites -- and they know full well who they are -- lying about what they do regarding their own health testing and breeding programmes, who routinely mate untested stud dogs under 18 months (which are, as a US breeder has rightly pointed out, *still puppies* that would compete in *puppy class* so why are they being mated at this age?) as well as getting litters off of underage females, then refuse to support research into SM (but why not, when they pay lip service to the MVD protocol but don't follow it as well and don't care if their breeder friends follow it). Or they test at a year or 18 months when such tests are fairly meaningless (how many cavaliers have hearts murmurs at age 1 or 2?).

And as more than one breeder on CC has pointed out -- so many who have scanned make posts claiming many clear dogs and great scans -- but where are these dogs? Is everyone hiding them so that the breed is further damaged? People say the SM and MVD guidelines might reduce genetic diversity, but oddly :rolleyes: the exact same people hide away their results (of all those great clear dogs, eh?) and clearly pressure others to do so as well, so that the most common complaint I hear from breeders (publicly on various lists, and privately) is 'there are almost no A dogs; we cannot find A studs; the few we find are not a good match'. Yet so many theoretically have these great scans - so where are the dogs?

Once again I reiterate: there are some great, caring, committed breeders out there but many of those who post, and post most vociferously, are telling lots of porkies and they know it and they know I and many others know it because we have the evidence. One of these days the truth will out...

I saw the clip on the Today show this morning. I went to see a client this morning who is aware of my Cavalier obsession and the very first thing she asked me was "did you see that show" "aren't those your dogs". We had a very in depth conversation. I'll be curious to see what others have to say.

I saw the clip on the Today show this morning. I went to see a client this morning who is aware of my Cavalier obsession and the very first thing she asked me was "did you see that show" "aren't those your dogs". We had a very in depth conversation. I'll be curious to see what others have to say.

So far -- a couple of people have requested information on puppies and one of their first questions is""""" are you one of those breeders that SHOW your cavaliers and breed for looks. They were going to a byb to get a 'less expensive healthier dog"...

And that's when you tell them you breed to meet the standard in appearance and breed for health. My first thing to people who are going to a byb is not only are you going to get a Cavalier that doesn't look like a Cavalier....but you have a much higher chance of the numerous other diseases Cavalier are prone to. Tell them.....you are NOT going to get a less expensive healthier dog through a byb....less expensive yes, healthier NO!!!

Back