PDA

View Full Version : Question about spaying...

cb2u
14th December 2009, 08:12 PM
Hi folks,
A friend of mine is adopting a beagle and the breeder wants to neuter him (or spay her, not sure of the sex), at 10 weeks of age.

I don't know much about this, but to me it seems rather young. I don't know what the rush would be. She's wondering if there's any downside to such an early spaying.

Any input?? Thanks so much!

Mom of Jato
14th December 2009, 08:23 PM
I don't really know the answer, but I do know that the shelters neuter the puppies very early like that because they don't want to take a chance that the new owner won't have it done. I had my two fixed at 6 months- that is what my vet/breeders recommended. I would advise her to ask her vet what he/she thinks.

Karlin
14th December 2009, 08:26 PM
It is controversial. Some breeders and some shelters do an early neuter. I would prefer to wait til at least 6 months. Why does the breeder not just stay in touch to ensure a neuter happens, and sell the dog on limited registration? I think there are arguments for shelters to neuter early but I don't really get why a breeder would do this as well.

Personally, I would want to work with a breeder who would work more closely and trust her new homes, and would consider going to someone else.

Yorkysue
14th December 2009, 08:43 PM
I have always been under the impression that if a puppy is neutered very young it could affect their development, both physically and emotionally. Hormones have a lot to do with how any creature matures and that is why it is recommended not to neuter before six months old at the earliest.

cb2u
14th December 2009, 09:42 PM
I'm waiting to hear back from my friend about whether it's a breeder or a shelter.
Her vet is "on the fence" about it......

Brian M
14th December 2009, 09:47 PM
Hi
Poppy ,Daisy and Rosie were all spayed approx 6 weeks after the end of their first season which for them made them all around 8-9 months old .Lily was also sheduled to be spayed Sept gone but as she only came to us in August aged 11 months I was guessing a bit but the week she was due to go to the vets she came into season so she is actually being spayed next tues the 22nd Dec which will be approx 8 weeks after the end of her 2nd season ,am a bit later than I would like but we close for 2 weeks on Friday ( Construction industry ) so I can keep her close to me 24/7 ,so pls think of poor little Lily next Tues and poor Pops is going to her weight watchers appointment and having a G A for her DEXA scan .Help.:(

Nicki
14th December 2009, 10:12 PM
I personally think 10 weeks is FAR too early - if it is a shelter then that makes more sense, as they often now have these policies in place.

A breeder insisting on neutering that early would make me a bit wary...

I suggest they are neutered at around 15 months - by then they have finished growing, the bitches are only at a slightly higher risk than neutering before the first season; but the bones, joints and muscles will have developed properly so you are reducing your risk of joint problems. Like everything it is a balancing act.

Obviously this only applies in situations where they are not going to be in contact with entire dogs or bitches, so you are not having to keep them apart - and that the carers are knowledgable and responsilble enough to cope with a season/entire dog. That is a much greater risk.

Oh Brian, will be thinking of you next week - a lot of stress in one day :( but it will get it all over with and you can enjoy Christmas then :D

cb2u
15th December 2009, 04:33 AM
Well, it seems like the dog is a rescue from a shelter, so perhaps that's why they want to do it so early. If she has a say, maybe she can put off the procedure until the puppy is older.

Thanks, everyone, for your input, and good luck to you Brian. :)

Kiddo
15th December 2009, 01:43 PM
I think part of the danger, in addition to what has already been mentioned, is the anesthesia at such a young, tender age. I do believe that anesthesia is a risky thing regardless of age, but at such a young age, oooohhhh I don't know if I would do it, I would be scared of the risks personally.

harleyfarley
15th December 2009, 02:25 PM
I was advised by the vets to wait till at least 4 or 5 months, he needed to be checked over first as its cant always be carried out if the dog isnt properly formed yet, when we had our cocker bitch and the border collie they had to have their first season first, so yes i think its a bit early, maybe suggest that its a good idea but cant it wait for a couple more months, or seek vetenary advice from a good vet surely it should be whats best for the dog.

Daisy's Mom
15th December 2009, 05:09 PM
I don't want to be the voice of doom, but the lady in the office next to me bought her son a GSD mix rescue dog for Christmas this year. They went together and picked out the one they wanted from the litter and the rescue was going to spay it before they could take it. She was about 10-12 weeks old. She died under the anesthesia! That is too sad. So now they are getting her sister, whom the rescue spayed, too. This just happened on Friday.

Seems extreme and unnecessarily risky to spay a puppy that young. Think about a human girl, if you gave her a hysterectomy at the age of about 2 years old, she would never develop normally in all sorts of ways. Why would a dog be so different?

Please don't think I'm against spaying/neutering. All my dogs/cats have been spayed. Daisy was spayed at 8 months, which was before her first heat.

cb2u
15th December 2009, 08:57 PM
Good news... based on all of the above comments and those of other people, my friend is going to wait on the spaying.
Thank you so much for all your input! I'm so happy she arrived at this decision.