PDA

View Full Version : George

aquaceri
20th December 2009, 02:02 PM
Hi there,

I received a newsletter from Dogs trust in the post yesterday and was shocked and upset to see that the little black and Tan cav called George is still there :eek::(

I really do hope he finds a home before Christmas!

I want to go and visit him but I am afraid I will end up taking him home! :luv:

This was the little dog that sent me on my search for a cavalier and I wouldn't have found stitch only for him... George was booked for a home at that time.

I know you will all join me in wishing him and all his little doggy pals in Dogs trust all the best with finding their forever home!

Karlin
20th December 2009, 07:34 PM
Wasn't he going to Sonya here on the board? Or was that a different dog? I don't think he is likely to still be there even if he was included in the newsletter... cavaliers typically go very quickly unless there is an underlying health issue or the dog is quite old.

updated to add: oh have just seen an old thread from Sonya mentioning his home fell through way back at the start of the month -- so guess he was still there but cannot imagine a cavalier is still in there waiting?

pippa
20th December 2009, 08:54 PM
I was sad to see his face on the newsletter too..was looking longingly at his photo but hubby said NO...and he's right we have the perfect set with our three at the moment and don't want to upset things.

I hope poor little George finds a home soon :(

Karlin
21st December 2009, 12:24 AM
They would have written and printed the newsletter a couple of weeks ago though -- so most likely, long since homed. :)

SamT
21st December 2009, 08:45 PM
This dog is still on the dogs trust web site to be rehommed.

I would love to take him home but I think I have my hands full at the mo ... 9 year old, 2 dogs and a 3 weeks old baby!

Dublin
2nd January 2010, 09:13 PM
Hi & Sorry havent been on here in ages - my lap top had a bit of a meltdown & went off to be fixed while we were away for christmas - its now back & working again!

Anyway, George, Yes it's the same George that I wanted to rehome, he did get rehomed by us but unfortunatly was returned today after 3 weeks in his new home. So is back in our rehoming block as I write this. I was devastated to see him come back today. He will soon be looking for his forever home - one without any children or visiting children though as unfortunatly he does have issues with them. But please if anyone is interested in him & dosnt have any childern or visiting children please do pop out & fill in one of our rehoming questionaires to see if you could be his forever home. (please dont mention you saw anything about him on here as I could get into trouble as we dont advertise our dogs except on our website & publications - thanx!)

Our newsletter was written ages before it was sent out (well most of it!) so about half of the dogs in it had already been rehomed. Our website too is a bit behind at the moment im afraid!

Desrae
2nd January 2010, 09:56 PM
Aw, that's sad. We'll be praying he gets his forever home without any little munchkins running amok.
Hang in there George!:flwr:

Dublin
4th January 2010, 05:31 PM
Hopefully the right forever home will come along really soon, but for now he's getting lots & lots of extra cuddles from me - all the other staff know where I am if they cant find me these days!!!

aquaceri
4th January 2010, 07:18 PM
Hi Sonia

Happy new year to you!

Thats really sad news about little George - He really doesn't have much luck poor little dude :( as always I will be thinking of him and will say a prayer that he finds his forever home. I wish I knew somebody who could take him but I am really the only dog lover in my group of friends! I will keep an ear out. I suppose its best that you now know that he cannot be homed with kids - such a pity though :( :( :( I am sure the family were really sad to have to take him back...

At least he has you and your colleagues there to give him lots of love :hug:

Karlin
4th January 2010, 07:34 PM
I was contacted by someone looking for a B&T and pointed them to Dog's Trust.

Dublin
7th January 2010, 08:17 PM
Thanks Karlin! Ive put lots of people who have come in that only want cav's onto you via your website too!

Did anyone see Georgie in the Mirror (Irish) yesterday? We had a full page of 10 of ourndogs looking for homes including George!:D

Karlin
7th January 2010, 10:29 PM
I've mentioned him to a couple of people but just cannot believe he hasn't been homed. On the weekend I may look through a few older application and email people. I have way more people looking for dogs than I have dogs.

pamela
13th January 2010, 02:41 PM
hi Sonia,

I am so glad to find this thread here, i have been looking at George's little face on the dogs trust website for a week now wondering if i could take him. I have coco who is 3 now and she is a very sensitive little thing. She is easily bullied by other dogs and I have thought long and hard about getting a second dog as a friend for her. However, I am concered about the problems you mentioned George having with children... Although I dont have children now and very very rarely have a visit from any kids, I do hope to have children over the next couple of years. Can you advise me on what kind of issues george has? Is he just nervous with kids or can he be aggressive?

thanks in advance :)

Pam

aquaceri
13th January 2010, 08:33 PM
Hi Pamela,

George is a lovely little cav and I am sure with some proper training that he could overcome his issues with children - I am no expert but he may have just had problems settling into a new home and having the added pressure of being pulled and tugged and cuddled by kids who thought they were just giving him love... He may have settled over time and if you do not plan to have children for a while I am sure you could have him ready and he would be really well settled in with you and your partner before then... as I say I don't have a great deal of experience with dogs and maybe my head is in the clouds a little but I am sure Sonia and Karlin will have lots of advice for you...

Best of luck - George really does have a place in my heart so keep us posted :)

Karlin
13th January 2010, 11:25 PM
Yes, he might adjust (see below -- you need more detail) -- but I'd say overall it really is best not to get a dog that isn't too happy around children if there's any intention of having them in the near future -- very young kids in particular can be a tough mix for many dogs and it is a challenge to retrain a dog to accept children if they weren't socialized to them from the start (especially difficult if there are no children to help in the process already!). Also if a dog is not happy round children, it isn't really fair to the dog to place him into a situation where he will eventually have to be around them -- you do always want a home where the dog is going to be as happy as the new owner(s). I generally am cautious about placing my rescue cavaliers in with under fives anyway, and would be very wary of a dog that has had problems with kids -- I would want to have the dog assessed by Dog Training Ireland, as you really never want to take risks if the problem is a serious one. On the other hand, he may have absolutely no problem with children -- it may have been that the people who took him left them unsupervised with children who grabbed or pulled or hugged him -- all things dogs generally really dislike. A polite warning may have been interpreted as a dog that doesn't get along with children whereas the issue may have been the children should never have been allowed free access to any dog to begin with.

Also, all owners are different. Some would have no problems managing a dog around kids if the issue is minor, and some people would find this a major challenge. I am currently read home and the dog that is not particularly happy being handled by kids, that is perfectly happy in their company as long as they aren't too grabby.

I think the smart thing to do if you are interested in a dog would be to visit Dogs Trust, see George, and talk to somebody who was working there on the day as I don't think Sonia really wants to discuss a specific dog in any detail on a public forum. You might send her a PM with some private questions, although I'm not sure if she knows all the details about this particular dog. :)

Dublin
15th January 2010, 08:02 PM
Sorry Pam I havent been on here in a little while soI didnt see your post.

Im happy to say George has 2 bookings on him, both people who have other cav's! The first family are coming along tomorrow with their cav to meet George & if they get on George will be going home in the next few days - so fingers crossed for him!

aquaceri
16th January 2010, 05:43 PM
Oh I am sooooooo happy! fingers crossed for Georgie! Yippppeeeeee :*nana:

Nicki
16th January 2010, 06:25 PM
Oh thank goodness - paws crossed here for the wee soul