PDA

View Full Version : Red spots on belly & thighs



cricky19
25th December 2009, 06:23 AM
I was just wondering if anyone has ever seen spots like this on a dog before. And if so, what are they? We went to a cabin in the mountains last weekend, but we just noticed the spots today. I am worried and wonder if anyone has any suggestions.

I have included pictures of the spot. Thanks for any help.
http://i465.photobucket.com/albums/rr20/cricky19/Christmas09057.jpg

http://i465.photobucket.com/albums/rr20/cricky19/Christmas09058.jpg
[IMG]http://board.cavaliertalk.com/http://i465.photobucket.com/albums/rr20/cricky19/Christmas09057.jpghttp://board.cavaliertalk.com/%3Ca%20href=%22http://s465.photobucket.com/albums/rr20/cricky19/?action=view&current=Christmas09057.jpg%22%20target=%22_blank%2 2%3E%3Cimg%20src=%22http://i465.photobucket.com/albums/rr20/cricky19/Christmas09057.jpg%22%20border=%220%22%20alt=%22sp ots%22%3E%3C/a%3E

Gem
25th December 2009, 08:55 AM
personally i'd go to the vet asap as may need some antibiotis. Its probably an allergic reaction to something but best to get it checked -let us know how you get on :)

Murphy
25th December 2009, 10:20 AM
Looks to me like a fungal infection of which there are many. Most can be treated topically(cream) without resorting to antibiotics, but I would check it out with your vet then, next time you see it, you will know what it is and what to do. (Keep the picture on file?)
Elspeth

Holly
26th December 2009, 03:28 PM
I would go to the vet, too, but it looks the way ringworm (fungal infection) looks in people.

Murphy
26th December 2009, 06:10 PM
Spot on Holly.
Only trouble is: canine ringworm seldom forms a 'ring', which is why I steered clear of mentioning the 'ringworm' word! It's probably fungal though, as is Ringworm. In my experience, dogs who are susceptible to fungal infections as young animals, often have re-occurrences as they grow, which is why I suggested keeping the photo.
Elspeth
Elspeth

WoodHaven
26th December 2009, 06:37 PM
Did you get into deer ticks?-- they tend to leave a red ring around the bite site.

If not, I'd try an anti fungal ointment.

waldor
26th December 2009, 07:36 PM
My guess is a staph infection and if so, will need antibiotics. It's been too cold for ticks to be out in Tennessee, especially east TN.

WoodHaven
26th December 2009, 07:44 PM
Yes, but you never know. I know of a dog that just died of green/blue algae after drinking from a pond IN DECEMBER.

These pictures look like a raised ring-- many staph infections look crusty
http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla%3Aen-US%3Aofficial&um=1&sa=1&q=staph+infection+in+dogs&aq=f&oq=&aqi=&start=0

Sandrac
27th December 2009, 01:35 PM
Minnie had something similar a couple of years ago and it was an infection she picked up - had to have some pretty strong antibiotic cream which I had to put on while wearing gloves.

WoodHaven
27th December 2009, 04:28 PM
If it is a fungal infection it is contagious to other animals, including humans.

arasara
28th December 2009, 10:13 PM
How's Charlie doing today? :)

cricky19
29th December 2009, 05:21 AM
He has been doing fine. That was part of it, he didn't act any different. He never licked or scratched the spots. We gave him Benadryl and put neosporin on the spots. After one dose of benadryl and one time of applying neosporin, the spots lightened up in color greatly. After the second dose, the small spots were gone. They are all gone now. We had to try something because we noticed it on Christmas eve and all the vets were closed on Christmas day. So by the time we got to Saturday most of the spots were gone. My aunt works at our vet and she told us to try this and see if it helped out. We believe that it had something to do with the bed in the cabin we had stayed at. My husband had about 10 spots appear on him, a couple of days before we noticed the ones on Charlie.

Thank you to all that have made suggestions. Its nice to be able to come on the board and get other cavalier owners opinion. We don't know many others around here.

Hope everyone has a great New Years!

waldor
29th December 2009, 03:42 PM
We believe that it had something to do with the bed in the cabin we had stayed at. My husband had about 10 spots appear on him, a couple of days before we noticed the ones on Charlie.


Makes me think it was some sort of insect, then. You might want to contact the owners of the cabin and alert them. If they don't know, they can't fix it.

*Pauline*
29th December 2009, 03:49 PM
Looks like ringworm to me.

Marjorie
29th December 2009, 04:37 PM
Hello

I have seen spots like this on my Cavalier after walking in the woods in the spring. I think they are just fly bites...were there any fies around? They didn't seem to bother my girl, but I did put some rescue remedy cream on them anyway and they were gone in a few days.

Marjorie