• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Red spots on belly & thighs

cricky19

I was just wondering if anyone has ever seen spots like this on a dog before. And if so, what are they? We went to a cabin in the mountains last weekend, but we just noticed the spots today. I am worried and wonder if anyone has any suggestions.

I have included pictures of the spot. Thanks for any help.
Christmas09057.jpg

Christmas09058.jpg

Christmas09057.jpg
cricky19

personally i'd go to the vet asap as may need some antibiotis. Its probably an allergic reaction to something but best to get it checked -let us know how you get on :)

Looks to me like a fungal infection of which there are many. Most can be treated topically(cream) without resorting to antibiotics, but I would check it out with your vet then, next time you see it, you will know what it is and what to do. (Keep the picture on file?)
Elspeth

I would go to the vet, too, but it looks the way ringworm (fungal infection) looks in people.

Spot on Holly.
Only trouble is: canine ringworm seldom forms a 'ring', which is why I steered clear of mentioning the 'ringworm' word! It's probably fungal though, as is Ringworm. In my experience, dogs who are susceptible to fungal infections as young animals, often have re-occurrences as they grow, which is why I suggested keeping the photo.
Elspeth
Elspeth

Did you get into deer ticks?-- they tend to leave a red ring around the bite site.

If not, I'd try an anti fungal ointment.

My guess is a staph infection and if so, will need antibiotics. It's been too cold for ticks to be out in Tennessee, especially east TN.

Minnie had something similar a couple of years ago and it was an infection she picked up - had to have some pretty strong antibiotic cream which I had to put on while wearing gloves.

He has been doing fine. That was part of it, he didn't act any different. He never licked or scratched the spots. We gave him Benadryl and put neosporin on the spots. After one dose of benadryl and one time of applying neosporin, the spots lightened up in color greatly. After the second dose, the small spots were gone. They are all gone now. We had to try something because we noticed it on Christmas eve and all the vets were closed on Christmas day. So by the time we got to Saturday most of the spots were gone. My aunt works at our vet and she told us to try this and see if it helped out. We believe that it had something to do with the bed in the cabin we had stayed at. My husband had about 10 spots appear on him, a couple of days before we noticed the ones on Charlie.

Thank you to all that have made suggestions. Its nice to be able to come on the board and get other cavalier owners opinion. We don't know many others around here.

Hope everyone has a great New Years!

We believe that it had something to do with the bed in the cabin we had stayed at. My husband had about 10 spots appear on him, a couple of days before we noticed the ones on Charlie.

Makes me think it was some sort of insect, then. You might want to contact the owners of the cabin and alert them. If they don't know, they can't fix it.

Fly Bites?

Hello

I have seen spots like this on my Cavalier after walking in the woods in the spring. I think they are just fly bites...were there any fies around? They didn't seem to bother my girl, but I did put some rescue remedy cream on them anyway and they were gone in a few days.

Marjorie

Back