• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Tips for a food-obsessed dog?

laram

Hi all!

Being a Cav, Sammy was always crazy about food, but since he was neutered and has been on steroids for SM, he is unbelievable. It's all he cares about in life. At the moment he gets a mixture of dry and wet food twice a day (Eagle pack), plus a small rawhide stick in the evening and a slice of ham with his pill. He's a perfect weight, and I'd like it to stay that way, but I'd also like to make him a bit more content if I can. Does anyone have any tips for making him full without gaining weight?

Thanks a lot in advance!:)

Laura and Sammy

Good for you for maintaining him so well as this is difficult with a greedy breed to start with, much less a dog on steroids, which make them extra hungry!

If you look in the Library section on caring for you cavalier, there's a whole list of ideas and suggested treats for keeping a cavalier healthy and slim. Generally: vegetables and fruits as treats.

But why not reduce his amounts at main meals and instead give a few treats during the day or give him his food in a treat ball and let him work and get exercise to get his food?

I'd not give a whole pice of ham for his treat though unless it is that wafer thin stuff -- ham's generally really salty and fatty and caloric as well (though types differ). A pill can probably be hidden in a small piece or consider some broiled chicken for example? I use a small dab of spreadable cheese for Leo's pills. Taking out the ham calories would give scope for making them up with something else.

Ive had the same problem, the main thing is to weigh his food, so you know exactly how many grams he gets, i feed twice a day, and avoid doggy treats like biscuits those gravy bones are very calorific, as for pills, a dab of pate does it. di

Hi, My Riley is also on steroids for SM and food crazed is an understatement. I have been using frozen green beans to help satisfy his insatiable appetite. I also give him broccolli, cauliflower, and other vegetables. I give him the same amount of food 2x/day but add about 1/2 to 3/4 cup vegetables. It is so hard to see them so hungry. :( I do try to give vegetables as treats as well.

Abbey is on steroids too and hungry. Used to go sometimes days without eating. Not anymore. She gets 1/3 cup in the a.m. and 1/3 in the p.m. She gets so many meds that I buy also canned dog food and just a tiny bit to put the pills in. Makes llife easier. The canned dog food is like steak to her. When I say its time for your pill she runs a race--lol. Winston my shih tzu is only on atopica for allergies and you'd think I was literally starving him. He spends his days looking for a tidit. The other night I caught him licking the kitchen cupboards. My gosh how does he think he's going to fill his tummy doing that? lol.

I have a similar problem with Molly. I feed her 3 small meals a day of ground vegetables and raw chicken wing tips cut up. (plus supplements) This takes her quite a long time to eat compared to say biscuits. When she eats biscuits they vanish the moment she sticks her nose in the bowl and she is not satisfied. I give her 3 neem sticks per day, dried carrots in a wooden puzzle. Plus she is allowed things like a baby sweetcorn, beans and some bits and pieces of fruit. When we go to class, I cook her some plain chicken and reduce her meals. I avoid all processed foods.

Thanks a lot for your replies!

There's lots of foods in there I didn't even realize dogs can digest - like the carrots and broccoli, so I'll definitely give that a try. Do you think it would do any harm to add some cornflakes aswell? I was thinking they're low calorie and would add bulk to his bowl.

The 'ham' slices, btw, are actually low-fat turkey slices - so only 15 calories per each. I don't know why I still refer to it as 'ham' :eek:

Linderbelle: I know what you mean about licking the kitchen cupboards. Sammy licks the cupboards, the fridge door, the kitchen floor, his bowls (even when they're long empty). The neighbours have also been amazed to see him ravenously eating blueberries from bushes at the side of the pavement as if they were pieces of steak. I have to pull him away before he makes himself sick.

I have this problemwith Ruby also, her whole life revolves around food and I wanted to keep her satisfied wwithout her putting on weight as we struggle to keep her at her weight.
I tried the raw veggies to bulk up her food but she just wouldnt eat them so I went one further and blended up the veggies- a mix of carrot, brocolli and beans and give her one tea spoon of Charlies tripe blended in with that. I have halved her dry biscuit down to just 50grams a day and she gets 30g of that in the morning and her remaining biccies with the mix in the evening.
She is sooo content with that. She doesnt even bother Charlie for his food any more.
I also make some Liver Cake with veggies in it and freeze one a month to use for our training as we do Agility and Obedience and we have managed to get a bit more weight off of her in the month or so we have been trying this. Down to 10kg which she hasnt been since before she was spayed!
She has her mini raw hide before bed aswell.

I have two opposites of dog. Ruby who tips the top of the scales and Charlie who needs to bulk up!! although saying that we have had him on tripe and complete dry for a month or so and we have got him up to 7kg so im really pleased with that. He has a bit of coverage on his ribs now!!! YEY!!!

Raw Carrots

Dogs can't digest raw carrots which is why they might be a good choice believe it or not. THey can satisfy the need to chew and can fill your dog without them gaining calories, as they don't digest, but pass relatively easily through the digestive system.

An uncooked cut thigh bone will also satisfy. Be careful with too much fruit or veggies as they are carbs and will put on the weight. My dog also likes raw apple slices.

Back