• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

How are other Cavaliers coping with winter ?

Marjorie

4230422921_deaa423462.jpg
Hello

Just wanted to check to see how everyone else who lives in a cold climate is coping with the winter. We struggle with slush, ice, salt, snowballs in the fur and freezing temps, less sunlight. Our walks are shorter and sometimes not at all. It can be difficult keeping the girls entertained somedays. One bright spot is that they do enjoy chasing snowflakes.

Any ideas on helping to pass these long cold days?

4228662934_398848cb5f.jpg

4231187030_c14cc2d275.jpg

The pictures are lovely.
My two adore the snow, they roll around in it and rub their faces in it :) They hate the wet, when it is raining its a real job to convince them to go out even for a pee :eek:

As far as keeping the two little monsters clean, we just take it in our stride and deal with it as we go :p

Yes, I agree and so do my girls that the wet is the worst. Unfortunately, we have been getting snow followed by rain which = slush...yuck! They do like the snow, but when you get lots and you're low to the ground it can be tough. I'm always shovelling paths in the back yard. It's the salt & ice on the paws that causes the most problems. I use invisible boot and I've tried real boots, but nothing works well.

I have bought so many different kinds of boots for the dogs, but I always wind up returning them to the store. They both hate them!!! So we don't spend much time outside during the winter. Out for a quick potty break, and then right back inside. We have a long hallway that they enjoy running down to fetch toys as I throw them. When they get tired from playing, we snuggle on the couch- my favorite pastime. :luv:

We haven't had it as bad as you this year but my dogs don't get as many walks when it's cold. I swear they are using something different in the road salt this year because this is the first year Mindy has been bothered. I have the invisible boot and that seems to help a lot. I also have one pair of ruff-wear boots and I'm hoping they will work out for longer walks. I'm hoping to do some cross-country skiing with the boys but we'll see. I haven't skied cross country in years so we'll see how it goes.

I too have the ruff-wear boots, but where they are mesh on top the salty slush goes right through them. I find boots really don't work that well. I agree about the road salt, it is really dangerous to the digestive tract so I wash their paws well when we come in. I believe there is other harmful stuff in the salt too. THen if we get too many snow balls in the fur I need to be careful as it can really cool down the body temp (especially around the belly and armpits). You have to be very careful not to warm them too quickly. I guess we need to content ourselves with being couch spuds too.

Back