• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

anyone use advocate

I have not heard of it. Is it ingested or put on the fur? My vet says sentinel is one of the safest. I think it is best to use nothing and check your dog daily, if you have a problem then you can deal with it. All those products can harm the immune system. Also, apple cider vinegar mixed with water and sprayed on is a good flea deterrant.

I have been given this to use on Milly by my vet, as she was a rescue we had know idea what if any flea or worming treatments had been used on her, I used it on her a few days after her last boster injection and have had no problems with it, I am thinking about changing to it for Amber also.

We use advocate on our cavalier and cocker. They both caught sarcoptic mange when we were using frontline and advocate cleared it up.

i use advocate in the summer when there are so many ticks.
this is the only spot-on i have tried which does not bother kandis' skin.

i'd rather avoid using these things, but am a little nervous about ticks since sienna had a very nasty infektion from one last year.

I now use Advocate, on the recommendation of my vet, as it is the only licensed UK treatment/preventative for the mange mites.

My poor Megan had a horrible case of mange at the same time as she was first diagnosed with SM. I wouldn't want to go through that again - she lost all the fur on her hind legs, belly and tail. Even though I don't like the idea of all the chemicals involved, really anything is better than mange - and we regularly have foxes on our patch, so I have to be very careful.

We've changed over to Advocate from Stronghold, due to incidences of heartworm/ lungworm in the area. Advocate is what my vets recommended, and both dogs have been fine with it. We get a lot of slugs and snails in the garden, so there is a risk to the dogs.

We changed from Frontline to Stronghold because Maddie likes to roll in foxes poo and also Frontline didn't seem to be working as well against fleas as before.

I started useing Advocate this year as Ruby has a thing about eating snails and Charlie eats fox poo!! :eek:

Ive had no problems with it at all but I will say that if using it for worming purposes it is important to use Drontal also as it doesnt treat hook worm.
just incase

I dont really like putting chemicals on there skin buts its better than contracting a horrid disease!!

We use Advocate on the 3 Cavs as two of them are great slug/snail hunters :eek:. It would work out cheaper though to get the prescription from the vet and buy it online.

It is interesting that so many of you have commented on snails and slugs...what health risk do they pose? I have lots in the garden and the dogs don't bother them, but I do have to pull them out of the fur from time to time...yuck!

Back