View Full Version : Winston ate a big magnet
8th January 2010, 03:05 AM
Tonight Winston ate a big magnet- the kind a business card gets laminated to so you can always have the card handy. I've heard that eating multiple magnets can be a problem, so what about a big one? My Vet is closed. I'm sure he'll be fine---I'll check his poop in the morning, but am worried.
It definitely taught me though that I have some serious work to do with "drop". He would not let go. I stuck my finger in his mouth to try and pry it out and he chomped down on it! :eek:
8th January 2010, 03:09 AM
Why don't you call Ainimal Poison Control?
It's now free but will put your mind at ease and they will let you know if you need to go an emergency vet: 888-426-4435. (fee is $65 ... I have called several times and figure it's just a donation to a good cause if I'm being overly cautious ... which I usually am!)
I hope it ends up to be no big deal, but I'd probably be worried too.
Love my Cavaliers
8th January 2010, 03:13 AM
If you don't have an animal emergency center near you, try calling the one near me - Animal Emergency and Referral Center. They've been really good at helping me determine if any of my dogs needs to be seen immediately or to just watch and wait. The phone numer is 847-564-5775. There are emergency vets there 24/7. It's near Chicago so it will be a toll call, but cheaper than the $65. Good luck.
Love my Cavaliers
8th January 2010, 03:20 AM
By the way, I think the danger in eating multiple magnets is if they clamp together with some intestine or other tissue caught between. They can then inhibit circulation to that area and cause necrosis or tissue breakdown or death of the tissue. One magnet by itself would not cause that problem, but it might have sharp edges that could present a different problem.
8th January 2010, 03:30 AM
Okay, I called my local E-vet. They said as long as he chewed it to pieces, it should be okay but I need to rummage through his poop to make sure he passes it, which can take up to 72 hours. I'll update later.
8th January 2010, 10:56 AM
Hope Winston will be ok.
Have fun rummaging through his poo. :yikes What we do for our dogs.
8th January 2010, 05:15 PM
Keep us updated. Hopefully he chewed it to bits. I'd be worried about the sharp corners piercing his intestines.
8th January 2010, 05:49 PM
I hope Winston is ok. Please let us know how he gets on :hug:
8th January 2010, 09:57 PM
Hope Winston really chewed up that magnet so he has no problems. I have to watch our Abigail who will grab the little coated metal ties on bread etc. if they fall to the floor. I'm careful but hubby is not.:rolleyes:
9th January 2010, 04:17 AM
I think everything is okay. There were some pieces in his poo this evening, so I think it's passing. He's acting normal. Thanks for the thoughts!
9th January 2010, 10:05 AM
Thanks for the update, I'm glad it all seems to be passing through naturally. They are a worry, aren't they?
I have to watch Pippin for picking things up and chewing them, we can't have him near any door mats unsupervised since he chewed the rubber edge off one and swalowed enough of it to require a night at the vets. icon_devilThankfully he also chewed it small enough to need no surgery. Bless them.:l*v:
9th January 2010, 06:18 PM
Thank you for the news, my Nicki behaves the same, he is a chronic chewer , i always keep an eye on him :mad:
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.1 Copyright © 2017 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.