• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Daily Telegraph.

Bet

I can't prempt the Bateson report ,nothing is known about it and it will be revealed to-morrow, but there is a large photo of a Cavalier in the Telegraph News-Paper and mentions the Health Problems experienced by Pedigree Dogs ,in -cluding Cavalier King Charles Spaniels.

Daily Telegraph

Ciren,

The Impetus about the Health Problems in Dogs, will never stop now.

At long last we Pet Owners have had a say in this.

The Breeders will have to listen ,and now that the Press is involved the Sky as the saying goes , Is The Limit.

If some Breeders don't like what is now happening ,well Tough.

It is some Cavalier Breeders who are responsible for the MVD Problem in our Cavalier Breed ,if only they had listened to the warning they were given about the MVD Trouble in Cavaliers about 30 years ago,.would the Breed be in such a mess to- day with their MVD Trouble.

I DON'T THINK SO!!!

Hopefully now ,the SM Problem in Cavaliers will not be allowed to decimate the Cavalier Breed any further, that what-ever happens to-morrow is going to be of a benefit to stop this happening.

In the Telegraph to-day mention is made about the Cavaliers' Heads being too small for their Brains, whether this will be mentioned in the Bateson Report to-morrow, we will have to wait and see.

If as has been suggested in some News-papers ,that there could be a Regulatory Body taking over from the Kennel Club about the Breeding of Dogs, then don't be Down Heartened about the Future of our Cavaliers and other Dog Breeds.

This is what has been needed for a Long ,Long Time.

i just see alot of maybe's and suggestions in the whole thing. i mean this guy was asked by the KC to look into the problem, whose to say they will pay attention to him?

i just see alot of maybe's and suggestions in the whole thing. i mean this guy was asked by the KC to look into the problem, whose to say they will pay attention to him?

When the film PDE was shown, the Kennel Club, believing there was no case for them to answer, teamed up with the Dog Trust to fund an inquiry into dog breeding.
I suppose it is an indication of how arrogant and how blinkered the KC and the rest of the dog showing world were, in that they did not realise how badly this would rebound on them.

Around that time I had occasion to meet with Clarissa Baldwin, the Dog Trust Chief Executive, and the DT chief vet and I would say they were very aware of the problems that would be revealed.

I think the first setback for the Kennel Club was that somehow they agreed that the govenment department DEFRA should choose an independent chairman for the inquiry.
Professor Bateson was the choice, truly independent, and from all accounts he has done a thorough and professional job, aided by a well qualified committee.

I think because of the interest shown by DEFRA and the earlier findings of the APGAW group of MPs and Peers, the Kennel Club and the Government will be unable to ignore the main conclusions in this report.

Changes will be recommended that will benefit all dogs and the people that buy them.
They will be changes that most responsible dog breeders will accept as a necessary evil.
Hopefully bad breeders, puppy farmers and BYB will be forced out of business.

I gave evidence to both reviews, so I am really excited to see what the report will recommend.

Daily Telegraph

Thanks Margaret,for your Post.

To-morrow should be an interesting day for all the True Lovers of Dogs.

I am very interested to see what this report recommends specifically, when it comes out tomorrow, as from the sounds of things, I'd like to push for it to dovetail into current animal welfare bills coming up before government.

The Kennel Club and many breeders dismissed the findings and recommendations in the APGAW report, stating that they would wait for the Bateson report (I think they believed it would somehow not come to similar conclusions). I will be curious to see the KC's response to its own independently commissioned report! As Margaret suggests, the problem with setting up independent commissions is that... they are independent. They are more used to setting up their own advisory committees full of their own insiders.

I think it will be hard for the UK government to ignore the similar recommendations of both reports.

The argument for spot inspections and regulation of ALL breeders surely directly answers the calls by clubs and KC for more management of puppy farmers and backyard breeders as well...? icon_nwunsure

Back